“Great place to stay. Location was perfect and the staff super friendly!”

Holiday Inn Express Brooklyn
Ranked #38 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My wife and I stayed a few nights last week and had a very pleasant experience. Brandon who is the general manager went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable and happy. Everything was a breeze! From check in, to anything I needed during my stay and all the way through check out. Plus the fact that the price was right makes this a win win for me and my family. We were close to everything we needed. Another bonus is that there is a restaurant called Dinosaur BBQ right across the street and it is a must!!! Overall I am extremely pleased with the people who were very friendly, the cleanliness of everything and the location being close to anything we wanted. Great quality, especially for the money!!! I will stay here again next time I visit!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for a better view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank lrlrlrlr
Brandon W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased that you had such a wonderful stay with us. It is our passion to provide a memorable stay for each and every guest that walks through our doors. You definitely had a memorable experience and our location is perfect for maneuvering throughout Brooklyn as well as Manhattan.
We can't wait to see you the next time you are in New York. We promise that your experience will be even better!
-General Manager

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Reservations don't seem to matter at this hotel, nor is it kept in good order.

Booked two rooms with two double beds each via Expedia four weeks prior. "Guaranteed rooms" by the way. Confirmed reservations with hotel earlier in week. Upon arrival at 4pm, was told no rooms with double beds were available and no rooms with double beds would become available. "The hotel was busy" so said front desk attendant. So what's point of a reservation, I asked. I was then told I should take up my issue with Expedia. Offered rooms (that we first accepted) that couldn't accommodate a cot. Did I mention yet that the sole elevator was inoperable? The accommodations here are two star at the very best.

Expedia no help here either. They offered to cancel the reservation and make reservations at a nearby hotel at approximately twice the price per room. Note I was able to quickly find a reservation at same hotel, Marriott Brooklyn Bridge, for $70 a night less than Expedia offered.

In terms of what other travelers have mentioned as to expectations, this hotel is no better than nearby Red Roof Inns, etc. No matter, a front desk clerk's pat response of "I understand" is no substitute for honoring reservations. As for Expedia, why bother. Hotels disdain them and treat Expedia booked guests as second class.

Room Tip: If the price is close, stay by the Marriott or in NYC and take the subway to Brooklyn. Or cab it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank stuart c
Brandon W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Buff Grove,
First and foremost, we want to thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express brand. We know that you have options when choosing your hotel accommodations and we appreciate you choosing us.
With regard to your concerns; we are extremely apologetic that the room type you requested was not available at check in. There was some type of miscommunication with the reservation system evidently. We have been in contact with tech support about it and they are working to correct any system errors.
Our elevator was going through an extensive upgrade. Unfortunately, it just happened to coincide with your stay. As a staff, I know that we were extremely apologetic and were willing to carry your bags to and from your room and your convenience.
It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to deliver the type of stay that so many of our other guests have experienced and written about on tripadvisor.

Management

Reviewed 21 April 2014

It is interesting to read some of the reviews on this hotel. First of all, the price is about a third of what other hotels are charging in the surrounding areas. i am not sure what some expect. The access to the subway (about two blocks away) makes travel to Manhattan etc. very easy. Yes it is a little dated, but the room were clean, staff was helpful and overall it was a good stay. There was a quite a bit of outside noise, but frankly there is anywhere you go. The breakfast area was nice- a little busy, but that certainly is not the hotels fault. Traveling to NYC for sake of price and location would make me select this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Aaron T
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Downtown Brooklyn use to have two Holiday Inn hotels. Now they have one Holiday Inn Express at this location. The hotel by itself is good considering it's location. The location is not bad and is within close proximity to Manhattan. I stayed there for four nights and two of the nights, I had to find parking on the street. The other two nights, I had to pay 28.00 plus taxes for on site parking. When you make a reservation for this hotel, make sure you request on site parking if you drive. I was under the impression that parking was available if you were willing to pay for it. Not the case.
The room was clean and the bathroom wasn't bad considering the age of the hotel.
I felt safe in the neighborhood and at the hotel. The free breakfast was better than usual but not like a hotel with a full restaurant facility. The bacon had flavor, but was paper thin, like most hotels who offer free breakfast. The attendant was friendly at the breakfast area.
There was one elevator and you had to be patient. The hotel did offer free bottle water.
Be aware of the time of week or special events being held in the area. The price could go up by 2.5 times the normal rate if the Barclay Center has an event. Typical extortion from the traveler.
There are plenty of nearby restaurants in the area and within a good walking distance. However, there is a decent barbecue restaurant across the street.
Avoid getting one of two rooms on the second floor by the breakfast area. Too much noise and a noisy ice machine. Ice is not available on all floors either.
Hotel lobby staff were friendly.
Would I go back? Absolutely if the price was affordable.
My rate was $140.00 but two weeks later, the rate would go to over $300.00 for the same room because of whatever.

Room Tip: Avoid getting one of two rooms on the second floor by the breakfast area. Too much noise and a noisy...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank TBRD113
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Nice clean friendly hotel. Breakfast options included a pancake making machine, fresh cinnamon rolls, yogurt, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, hard boiled eggs, cereal and more. Great barbeque across the street.

Room Tip: All rooms have a terrible view
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Great little hotel in Brooklyn, easy to get to Manhatten etc via subway 2 minutes around the corner. Handy for eateries and mini-marts. I was going to a concert in the Barclay Centre, just up the road, so ideal for this. Staff were really friendly and helpful, room was clean and bright, best bed I've ever slept in! Brooklyn was a great place to spend time as well as taking in all the usual NY attractions. Quieter than the average NY hotel and cheaper too and a great place to base yourself - only downside was the ice machine just outside the door, making a ridiculous amount of noise day and night, so get a room well away from this!!! Would stay again, definitely.

Room Tip: Away from the ice machine!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I was quite happy with my stay. The breakfast was the only let down , but there are several places close by, where you can get a breakfast and enjoy the local area. I was here under the New York Marathon , and the course goes just close by, so this is a great location. The area is very interesting and I walked several of the streets in Brooklyn. I went up to the prospect park for my running, as it is quite easy to get from the hotel. It is easy to get into Manhattan, and this hotel is great option for a cheaper stay in New York.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo