“Best in Brooklyn”

Ranked #31 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Los Angeles
“Best in Brooklyn”
Reviewed 2 December 2008

Initially I was a bit hesitant about this hotel after reading some of the other reviewers, but since I didnt get a better deal for the thanksgiving 2008 , I stayed with this reservation and I am glad I did it.
So first of all- little introduction- I am an Ex New Yorker and wanted to show NY to my wife and meet my friends etc. I didnt want to pay extra $$$ for the manhattan hotels, since its not a big deal commuting to the city from Brooklyn.
Now , about the hotel - Its very very clean and the customer service is excellent. Room was big and house keeping too is excellent. They got their own parking lot, a microwave and cafeteria for breakfast in the basement. Breakfast has free cereals bagels , coffee etc etc ++ they got fitness center too in the basement. Subway is a 20mins walk or just a B4 bus to sheepshead bay . the bus stops right infront of hotel !! After having so much of comfort I am just wondering if I am missing anything..
Oh, One thing - the shower wasnt dispensing the water with high pressure . It was kind of OK bath..
Also , these guys got a free internet wireless ( unsecured) + internet access and printer in the lobby. There were NO bedbugs any where - since i stayed for a week and saw / felt nothing. My recommendation is to ask for 2nd or 3rd floor rooms. The ones in the basement didnt look so great..
If you are trying to book , go through the bestwestern's site so that u can cancel the reservations 24hrs prior to the date Unlike the orbitz / expedia non refund policiess.. All in all - a great place to stay !! Greatly recommended. (BTW _ I didnt have the review in mind , so the pic is just to get an idea )

• Liked — cleanliness, customer service
  • Disliked — shower, elevator is new but slow.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aveldon22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 July 2008

We visit Brooklyn each year (family in Coney Island), and previously stayed at a Best Western in Bayridge. This property is certainly closer, but we are not sure we will go back. The room was very small. The breakfast was just fair... not many fresh ingredients, coffee is from a machine (instead of fresh brew), juices are concentrates, pastries are Pillsbury pre-packaged and dry.

We have young kids and we prefer a hotel that has some additional ammenities (like a restaurant or a bar), to get a quick bite for the kids or a little relaxation for us. Wireless internet and parking are pretty much the only noteworthy ammenities.

We appreciated the free parking, and that might make us choose this BW over the one in Bayridge. My only complain about parking is that the hotel puts a numerical code on your parking card, which clearly shows what room you are in. I have concerns about the safety of that practice (and have contacted BW about it).

• Liked — Free parking.
  • Disliked — Very small room.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Alexandria., VA
Reviewed 9 February 2008

BEDBUGS! Everything else was OK, rating 3-4, but when I got home I had a delayed reaction, about 40 horrible itchy bites that two weeks later still itch. Diagnosis: bedbug bites. I could have gotten them nowhere else. I do not blame the management who, after I complained, said they had regular exterminators come to deal with any such problem. However, obviously this is not 100% effective and the consequences are so unpleasant I would not chance it. The management after my complaint offered me a 30% discount on a future stay, No way will there be a future stay

• Liked — The location was very convenient, and except for the bedbugs, it was a very good price for NY.
  • Disliked — Bedbugs!!!
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Vedma
Campbell, CA
Reviewed 18 November 2007

Very friendly staff, but some things are off. There was no Internet working at all - not wireless or wired. The rooms are small and dark and the decorating cheap and funky. It is clean, though, and in a good location. The staff were very nice - that helps to make up for a lot. Still, not much for $150 + taxes per night!

• Liked — Friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Funky rooms and strange people (possibly prostitutes) showing up at night.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank JudyNT
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2007

Booked this hotel based on the very positive trip advisor reviews. It's ok but not at all special. The hotel is laid out motel style. You enter your room from an open walkway at the back of the hotel. Rooms were quite small and dark but very clean with good housekeeping service. Reception was again small but clean. Staff ranged from very pleasant to rather unfriendly.
The breakfast room is small - approx 6 tables with 2-3 chairs each, had to wait several times. Breakfast selection was ok - cereals, bagels, pastries, some fruit - but during our stay the food was not always fresh.
The gym is very small and adjoins the breakfast area.
The area is interesting - Sheepshead Bay is nice with local small shops and restaurants. Nearby Brighton Beach and Coney Island are great.
The hotel is a 5 minute bus ride or 25 min walk from Sheepshead Bay subway - from there it's 15 mins to Prospect Park or about 35 mins on the express to Manhattan.
This is an ok place to stay when you just need a place to sleep but no different and no better than other chain motel properties.

• Liked — Interesting area, good housekeeping by friendly maid.
  • Disliked — Food quality at breakfast, some staff unfriendly.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank Louise M
Lancaster PA
Reviewed 25 July 2007

My husband and I stayed here in July, 2007. The hotel is easy to
reach via the directions that are given on their website. We loved the fact they had their own small on-site parking lot. Our room was neat and clean. Friendly helpful staff. We stayed one night while visiting some sites in Brooklyn.

There were restaurants within easy walking distance. We had a great dinner at one of them (Liman Restaurant 2710 Emmons Ave). We walked around the Sheepshead Bay area all evening. It was safe. Fun to hear the different languages from the variety of people that make their home in the Brooklyn area. We enjoyed our stay at this Best Western.

• Liked — clean and quiet
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank abby57
Zanesville, Ohio
Reviewed 23 July 2007

My husband and I stayed at this property June 5th and 6th. We come to town each year to attend a Yankees game. We try to stay somewhere different each time. We arrived at 2am and there was no where on the property to park. We had to park on the street all weekend. The manager upgraded our room and charged us. Had to argue with front desk. He said this was because I asked for a view of the Bay. I never heard of being upgraded and charged without your knowledge. We booked on the hotel website and apparently the price was for a basement room. Nice of the website to mention it being a basement room. We finally received a room on the 2nd floor, but we reserved a King room and this had 2 doubles, So we went back down and the clerk gave us a King room.. I ended up paying $25 more than my confirmation said. Overall the hotel was clean. My number one complaint was that the drapes did not close. They had white thin panels and as soon as the sun was up, so was I. I like blackout drapes and most people vacationing do not want to rise with the sun.

• Liked — Very clean room
  • Disliked — The drapes would not close
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple