“No locks in Brooklyn? No breakfast?”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brooklyn
Regina's New York Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #25 of 56 Brooklyn B&B and Inns
“No locks in Brooklyn? No breakfast?”
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I have lived in this area for 10 years so I was excited when my mother was coming to town and she could stay here.
This area of Brooklyn is nice but by no means should this place not have locks on their room doors. There is only one lock (the front gate) in the whole building so that puts a lot of trust in other people to lock that door properly, and not to stumble into your room for some reason.

While the building is beautiful and the room was clean and bright, at $200/night for just a bed and a shared bathroom, it seemed way overpriced.

We didn't need much in the way of service from the innkeepers, who both seemed friendly, but when I asked about breakfast, she made it seem absurd to think that they would serve breakfast on the weekend. So, I don't know why they call themselves a Bed and Breakfast?

I also felt like I would have to work around their time schedule to arrive and checkout, because they "have things to do!"

It was fine for one night but I would not stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank DanielleAndJon

Salzburg, Austria
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Nice B&B in the heart of Brooklyn, all Metro-options to the city nearby, perfect location to visit NYC and save both time and money. Kind and hospital hosts (the Ladies are from germany) and two cute cats in an old brownstone-house, but in perfect shape. Room small but sufficient, bathroom not ensuite but nearby, all very clean and tidy, steep staircase inside requires some sportyness when carrying lugage, but will work, breakfast is simple but does it. Against some other revisions I´ve read before, luckily there could not mentioned any smoky smell inside! Perfect relation of quality and price, my first choice in NYC!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 23 May 2010

Very nice 3 story brownstone in good Brooklyn neighborhood. Stairs only so be prepared to haul your luggage. Very friendly, helpful hosts who were glad to help me with directions, advice, etc. Was smoky. Quiet. Good restaurants nearby. BAM very convenient, walking distance. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Dublin
Reviewed 21 July 2008

We spent over a week in Regina's B&B and felt really comfortable from the start.

The house is a beautiful old 19th century brownstone. It felt special from the moment we walked into the shady hall, with its dark wood floor and stairs. We had a large room looking onto the back garden, perfectly furnished and decorated. The house is done with a careful eye for detail. It feels authentic, lived-in, like a home, not an interior design photo.

The small things made this place for us: the old briefcase with maps and guides on our mantelpiece, the excellent towels, umbrellas for our use in the corner (it rains in NY, even in July), refrigerator in a corridor cupboard for guests, and a high power, silent fan instead of a noisy air conditioner.

Another reviewer has complained about the smell of smoke in the house. We noticed a slight smoky smell once or twice, but this was so slight that we did not find this a problem at all (and we are both non-smokers). It would be a pity if you allowed this comment to stop you experiencing all the lovely aspects of this B&B.

Regina and Angelika were very helpful and friendly, and provided us with excellent advice about the immediate neighbourhood, Brooklyn and Manhattan. We wouldn't have found out about Bryant Park, Eisenberg's sandwich shop, Strand books, or known the best place to watch the 4th of July fireworks without them.

We really enjoyed our stay in Regina's B&B and would love to stay there again if we make it back to NY.

• Liked — beautiful rooms, spotless, owners tips
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bash_k
Aachen, Germany
Reviewed 20 July 2008

I have been to the U.S. a few times. And a thing I learnt is that when you return to Germany you find most people really rude. After a few days/weeks you accomodate and you stop to notice and all is fine again. Staying at this B&B was like returning to Germany earlier than intended. It is run by Germans and the difference between the service you normally get in the U.S. and this place was striking.

We had booked several months in advance. We had also payed several months in advance, a point I did not at all feel comfortable with. It's one thing if a large site like hotels.com charges your credit card in advance for some unknown hotel on a different continent. You have your credit card company and hotels.com as safety net. It's a whole different story to transfer the full amount to some private checking account two months in advance. Additionally, at their request we paid in Euros (the currency of the hour) and we did not get an appropriate rate. I work in banking, I do know the rates.

Well, we had also stated an expected time of arrival two months in advance (4-6 p.m.). On the way to NYC we got into a traffic jam and we undererstimated the time required to travel from LaGuardia to the B&B. However, I didn't care because a) we still arrived arround 8.15 p.m. and more importantly b) we had already paid. On arrival we were asked why we were arriving so late. We told them about the traffic jam and thought to be done with it. Instead, we were critised that we had given a different hour.

Our room was nice, but the door a surprise. The door had a spring that shuts the door if you leave it open with a loud bang. We were told to always close the door, otherwise the door would bang. Going to the restroom I directly forgot and the door banged. Literally, 5s later one of our hosts told me that I had to close the door and that doing otherwise was really annoying. Just a hint: If the spring annoys you so much, just have it removed.

We didn't get of to a good start I would say. A few other issues: The breakfast was very simple (not at all German level, even worse than your average American breakfast). The bathroom holds a long list of how (not) tos. And in general, we were unsure if they really felt comfortable having guests. For certain, they were not interested in getting to know their guests.

Well, I still would give this place a 3 of 5. It is a nice building. The rooms are nice and clean and the bathrooms, too. The location is very good (up and coming quarter in Brooklyn) and you get easily to Manhattan. And the price was okay. Also, I am not an experienced NYC traveller, but I heard that service levels in New York are lower than in the rest of the U.S. We didn't stay long in our room, so on a rational level this is a good place to stay.

• Liked — Location near subway station
  • Disliked — Serivce
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Roundtrip_Rob1n
Chicago
Reviewed 25 June 2008

While the location was nice and the decorations very charming, the actual stay was a disaster. We were woken up at 7am every morning to the suffocating smell of cigarette smoke, as if it was being blown directly into our faces.

I know this may seem hyperbolic --- in fact, I am unsure about how it was actually occurring, since we closed the floor vents and put a towel under the door --- and we were on the 2nd floor, while the smokers (the B&B owners) were in the basement!

When we asked Angelica and Regina (the owners) about it, they said "Oh! You smell smoke? That is us smoking..." and walked away without doing anything --- no offering a fan, offering to move our room etc. Rather bizarre behavior. This was pretty standard for any interactions with them. If you don't mind cigarette smell in your room, then I highly recommend this place for the theatrical House of Usher atmosphere created by the bizarre actions and habits of the owners.

And before you think I am one of those anti smoking freaks and was overreacting, my husband is an ex-smoker and still felt the same way. It's just not a nice way to be woken up, and the smell continued for hours...

Just want to warn others who may be bothered by this...

• Liked — The location and the lovely building...
  • Disliked — The unbearable smoking fumes permeating our room each morning!
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jaguarundi
Kirrie
Reviewed 18 May 2008

I spent a week in Regina's B&B together with my mom and I have to say that overall it was a good experience. We loved the style of the B&B. It was clean and calm place to stay. Although the house was full when we stayed there, we sometimes felt as if we were there alone. So for those who do not like noisy places this is the one to stay.

Breakfast is included but we never had our breakfast there. We loved to have a good cup of coffee and bagel with cream cheese in a coffee shop near by.

Both Regina and Angelika are really nice however they do treasure their privacy, which is understandable. Although sometimes when I knocked at their door with some inquires I felt they were really not pleased to be interrupted. But I might just have had a wrong impression.

If I have to find things that I didn't like then it is really difficult. But if I really have to go into details the only problem seemed to be the use of iron and the ironing board. From the emails I exchanged with Regina prior to my arrival I gathered that the use of those would never be a problem but when I wanted to use it I was told that it was private and I had to iron all my clothes at once so that I would not have to ask for iron to often. But that is really a minor issue.

My suggestions: there should be a iron and ironing board available at all times, for example it could be standing in the hall of the B&B and if guests neeed it they could simply take it to their rooms and then bring back. In this way the owners would not be disturbed at all.

Another suggestions is the availblity of wireless internet connection. I think that many people choose B&Bs if the wireless connection is available. It is not a big cost and I think that it would attract even more guests.

I had my laptop anyway and have to confess that I simply connected to wireless unsecured internet connections which were available in the area.

I loved the area and I would definitely go back there. I highly recommend it.

• Liked — interior style
  • Disliked — shared bathroom
  • Stayed April 2008