“Love Marriott's consistency”

Ranked #12 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Columbus. Ohio
“Love Marriott's consistency”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

As always, I had a nicely appointed room, very clean, very quiet. The room seemed especially large for NYC. Location was great, with easy access to a couple of subway lines. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. As an aside, my points earned me free wifi, but I'm with the reviewer who said, "$15 a day for WiFi? Seriously?" At $300 a night for a room, if I had to pay to check my emails or do some online searches, I'd be upset enough that I'd likely look for another hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank peebs777

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 18 June 2014

When I planned my Brooklyn trip this was the first hotel I checked and was so happy it was available as I wanted to use it as a base to explore the surrounding neighborhood in more depth after not really being able to my first visit thanks for some frigid mid-winter temperatures. My second stay was as good and if not in some ways a little better than that first stay so would return again anytime as it's has location, service & amenities all going for it.

I was in room 682 in the same tower as the lobby is in and I liked the location better than the room I'd had previously which was in the north tower and a bit more of a walk. There really wasn't a view as the window faced another side of the building rather than a street or Brooklyn Bridge view which are at more of a premium. I did receive an email offering an upgrade into one of those rooms but declined as I knew I really wasn't going to be in the rooms and would rather be out walking the bridge instead of being in my room looking at it.

The room itself is larger than those normally found in New York so was plenty big for a solo traveller. The tub is a little deeper than others I've found so liked the ability to fill it up and soak away the day-long walks at the end of the day. The big doubles were almost queens and were very comfortable. I'd remembered from my first visit that the safes are found in one of the drawers in the main wardrobe/TV stand/mini-fridge cabinet. No pre-stocked pricey sodas in this mini-fridge either as it was empty and accommodated a few beer and bottle of Coke and kept them quite cold so that was a handy feature for me.

There are some interesting things around the hotel such as the PC's that operate on cash which gave 5 minutes for 5 dollars, if I recall correctly. I wanted to send a quick message to let family know I'd arrived safe and sound and it ate up almost all of that time allotment as the connection wasn't super fast so beware if needing to be on the business center PC's for an extended period of time.

After telling myself I was going to try the pool and Jacuzzi I found despite the longer weekday opening hours of 6 am to 10 pm I didn't make the time to visit. I also spent so much time off-site around the neighborhood I didn't try either the bars or restaurants so sadly can't comment on those either.

Being a larger hotel that often caters to groups & conventions there are times when the lobby area or lower level entrance can fill up but it wasn't often enough to adversely impact my stay and those attending the events I found were often very polite & friendly so the few times it was busier it wasn't much of an issue. I mention it in case there are those who like quiet hotel lobbies where you can hideaway with a book or a drink or both in a corner. This is a larger hotel so will have the ability to accommodate larger groups and conventions and you see and feel that at times.

In the end despite a few quirks here & there the overall quality of the rooms, the staff and the excellent is what keeps me coming back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank tcook052
Niagara Falls, New York
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The rooms were very up to date and impeccably clean. Bell man and desk services very professional. Walking distance to businesses, courts, schools, shopping and restaurants. Also a short walk over the BB to Manhattan, an unexpected treat. Great scenery, superb views. I have returned to same hotel on previous business, well worth the second visit. Will return!

Room Tip: Quiter rooms are higher up. Remember you are in NY get ready to walk!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark V
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We were first indignant over and then (as Americans) embarrassed by the wifi charge, which is unlike anything we've found in Europe or Asia or the rest of the US. If a hotel makes you feel crumby about America does it really matter how much else they get right? I take them down a point for it. Also the breakfast is hideously over-priced at about $30. (Walk instead to "Teresa's" at 80 Montague). That said, the room was clean and ample, and the decor was unfussy if unexciting, done in pale, solid neutrals with framed b&w photos of beaux-arts architectural details. Good subway connections to Manhattan and good value for money if you don't eat there. The snazzy-dowdy lobby could be depressing but for continuous groups of adorable local kids in evening wear for proms and such. Their delights were dolphinlike, and showed above the element they lived in.
There's a peach of an Italian restaurant in the neighborhood, "Queen." It has mid-20th-century roots as a pizza parlor (!) that the decades have morphed into a white-table-cloth place where European waiters serve with a fork and spoon in one hand. The grandson tends bar. It's the real deal; Don Draper could walk in any minute.

Room Tip: The pillows are as thick as beach balls. In retrospect, I wish we had asked for thinner pillows rig...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
megm71, Front Office Manager at New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at the Brooklyn Marriott Hotel. Please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced and know that this feedback will by reviewed so we can improve as a hotel.

I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you at your convenience. I can be reached at 718 222 6568 or via email at meghna.mathur@marriott.com.

Regards,
Meghna
Park City, Utah
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I am a big fan of Marriott hotels - all brands. This one needs a little updating. The staff is wonderful and get a 5+. The rooms are nice and could use some updating. For a full Marriott brand, the swag is a little sparse. The "Spa" is ridiculous. It's inside the Gym with no sign; can not charge the service to your room; it's run by a guy who does not give confidence that he's intelligent; it's a nightmare. They should fix it or get rid of it.

Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at the Brooklyn Marriott Hotel. We thank you for your kind ratings for our staff and please accept my apologies for the issues noted in regards to the gym/spa and know that this feedback will by reviewed so we can improve as a hotel.

Regards,
Meghna
Baltimore
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights while in NYC for a family/friends special occasion.......glad we did as it is a fair, nice, and well located facility. Easy access to Manhattan and easy walking to various places in Brooklyn.

The hotel is large and has a lot of events going on but the staff is very pleasant and helpful. Our room was a mini suite and was comfortable and sizable. The amenities could be a little better but they are fine. The fitness center is good with sufficient weights and aerobic machines. There is a large pool if you are looking for that. The parking is very good --- easy in and out and reasonable in price --- which is not easy to find in NYC. The hotel is showing signs of age and could use a refresh but this isn't a reason not to stay here.

I don't have anything bad to say about the hotel but do keep one thing in mind. It doesn't seem that they allow you to use Marriott points for a room. I tried but they "do not offer" this at the facility. It may have been that weekend but I got the sense it was more extensive than that. So beware and check this out early in your reservation inquiry if you want this option.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CGCx
Phila
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Just got back from a weekend at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott. While the rooms are typical Marriott rooms , the employees were not. Everyone from the chambermaids to the valet, doormen, bellboys as well as front desk staff were outstanding. They said hello, wished you a good day, and were without doubt some of the nicest people I have met while staying in a hotel. They did anything they could to make your stay as enjoyable and comfortable as it could be. The waiters in the restaurant were also outstanding.
The location is excellent. Places to eat nearby, as well as subway access for getting around. Very close to the Brooklyn Bridge and Lower Manhattan. I highly suggest a walk across the bridge if you have the time.
The hotel is a little tired looking. I really have no complaints. The room is huge by New York hotel standards. The hallways could be a little cleaner. There were room service trays left outside rooms overnight. The buffet was expensive for what was offered, but again this was typical Marriott fare.
All in all we enjoyed our stay. I would even consider staying here next time I visit New York as opposed to overpriced hotels in Manhattan.
Whatever the management is doing to keep such great employees should be cloned to other Marriotts.

Room Tip: Rooms in the North Building are mid rise. The South Tower rooms have the views.