“Welcome respite for budget travelers”
Review of Palace Hotel

Palace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Silver City
Reviewed 13 February 2013

My husband and I had planned to camp in the Gila Wilderness in January 2013. We are hardy winter campers (we're from northern MI) and when prepared, welcome cold and wind and snow. However, we were caught unaware and unprepared while visiting NM- a freak record-breaking cold front came in just about the same time as us, so we were left "out in the cold," literally. Luckily we found the Palace Hotel- we called at the last minute (driving to Silver City from Tucson), and they had several rooms available, at prices tent-campers could afford. Gloria let us see three rooms before deciding on a "small" or "medium" room. I don't know what size rooms the reviewers complaining about size stayed in, but our "small" room was plenty roomy and comfortable. It also happened to be across from the bar, but it was a weekday in winter (and about -3 degrees F!) so no parties or bar noise. It was a tad cold, so we snagged an electric space heater we'd noticed in one of the rooms we had not chosen, once we'd checked in and settled in (door was unlocked). I'm not sure if rooms were supposed to have space heaters, and ours just did not, or if we got lucky and found the only one :). The shower was wonderful- no light in the stall (funny! had too leave the curtain halfway open to see), but excellent water pressure. Continental breakfast=continental breakfast. Eh. Weak coffee, BUT the hotel is upstairs from Javalina, a great cafe with VERY good coffee and friendly, smart staff. I loved the historic, quirky feel and decor- to second what another reviewer said, if you actually like Econolodges, Comfort inns, that sort of predictability, maybe The Palace isn't your cup of tea, but for anyone looking for a small bit of affordable local color in an EXCELLENT location, The Palace is great!

Room Tip: Ask to see one or more rooms before checking in- esp. if you're undecided on size. Seems like...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 January 2013

The Palace Hotel is perfectly situated right in the middle of what's happening in Silver City. It is within close walking distance to great restaurants, unique specialty shops, galleries, and some of the most interesting "thrift-consignment" stores you'll ever encounter. Built in the late 1880's, the hotel retains it's original footprint and decor. No, it hasn't been designer-upgraded, but it is clean and convenient. The stairs are creaky (no elevator), the rooms are small and over-crowded.

Our room was described as a "large room," but it was NOT at all. Every corner was filled with an upholstered chair, antique dresser with TV on top, refrig with microwave on top. One side of the bed had a small table with a lamp, but not the other side. There was nowhere to put our luggage as there was no closet. Instead, there was a metal clothes rack over the refrig & lamp table with ONE hanger! There was no coffee maker in the room, but coffee was available at 6:30 a.m. on the second-floor landing where breakfast was served. The mattress was comfortable and there were sufficient pillows.

The bathroom was clean, spacious and well-lit, but it had no counter space to spread out your "stuff." There was a sufficient amount of linens in the bathroom, but no bathmat. There was no hair dryer provided, but luckily I had brought a small travel dryer along.

Breakfast on the broad landing was really kind of charming. We shared a table with a very interesting couple -- everyone was friendly. The continental breakfast was adequate: instant oatmeal, dry cereals, milk, orange juice, Activia yogurt, boiled eggs, breads, canned fruit coctail, but no fresh fruit.

Matthew,who took my reservation and was on duty when we checked in, was a most pleasant young man and seemed capable of attending to our needs. When I asked for a confirmation number for my reservation, he said, "We don't do things that way --- we're still a pencil and paper kind of place." Indeed.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra and get a suite so you have more space. Print a 10% discount coupon from their...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RoadrunnersNewMexico
Reviewed 18 January 2013

We stayed one night in a king bed room. It is the most darling hotel! It is very clean and has lots of charm & character. Our room was only $65!!! Unheard of these days! It is in downtown historic Silver City and is walking distance from great shopping, restaurants (Curious Kumquat is ranked #39 out of 100 for 2012 in Saveur Magazine!) and cool bars with live music. They also serve a FREE continental breakfast from 7-9 everyday. You do not get bells & whistles with this place but you do get hospitality, a yummy comfy bed, hot showers and a nice little breakfast. We will stay there again whenever we are in town.

Room Tip: Choose a 2 room suite it is only $82!!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank katekack
Reviewed 30 December 2012

The place is recommended in Lonely planet, and it is well worth it's reputation. The whole mainstreet area is picturesque, and the hotel has all the charm and unsophisticated warmth of a place time has preserved.
I took a small room, and there is not much space (hardly no table for a laptop), but it's clean, warm and comfortable. Breakfast on the same floor. Very nice. Good value

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Stayed here a couple of years back. Neat old building but the rooms are pretty darn small. The one I was in required you to navigate around the bed, then the sink to get to the bathroom. You also get some street noise from the Buffalo Bar on weekends. Not bad, but there are better choices.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank terrapinproud
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I love old places and this one certainly qualifies. A lot of history with this hotel. Only drawback was the lack of a/c, which is a major drawback during the summer. I stayed there last June when the temps set records for Silver. I was forewarned about the a/c, so only had myself to blame. Only other folks that seemed to be staying there were firefighters who had been fighting the forest fires around the area.(guess they must be used to the heat)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Rooms and common areas were all clean and in good repair. It is a very old building so creaks & plumbing noises are part of the package. I had a "suite" of small bedroom, seating area, separate kitchenette and bathroom with full size tub. Good value @ $82 mid week. I found the furnishings tasteful and not quite as kitschy as I had thought from photos. Bed was comfortable, but maybe too soft for some.

Bar or Street noise could be a problem. I asked for a room opposite the Buffalo Bar [which can be very noisy]. So my room was near corner of Broadway & Bullard. The streets are lined with tall brick & stucco buildings which amplify & bounce automobile noises. The windows do open, but traffic will wake you early if you are not an early riser. Black-out curtains are a nice touch for later sleepers. Young adults do congregate on the benches along the sidewalk. Cigarette smoke does waft up to open windows.

I looked at another "small" room which had an odd & prominent mold-like smell that I would not consider acceptable. This same odor was just a bit noticeable in my room, after spending the night there. I was also coughing a bit that morning. That would give me reason not to recommend this place to others. If you are an adventure traveller and have no respiratory concerns, this is a good value.

Room Tip: Old town location for convenience of walking has drawbacks of noise, congestion & parking. If I...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo