“Nice hotel, good price”

Econo Lodge
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Silver City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 March 2012

My husband and I and our three kids stayed two nights this past weekend and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone passing through Silver City. We were in town to visit the Gila Cave Dwellings and the clerk was really great with all the questions I had. Breakfast was average but still generally better than many places we have stayed, more of a variety. The rooms were clean, and not really dated, but the arm chair tilted to the side when you reclined it. Not really an issue. The pool was nice, clean and not too busy. The location of the hotel is a definite plus, and I highly recommend the Mexican delivery place that is advertised in the hotel room book. The food was excellent and the manager was terrific! Microwave, fridge, nice views, and the beds were comfortable. We also noticed that the hotel was fairly quiet, no noise through the doors or walls, and outside noise was non-existent. All in all, good place for a decent price.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor(top floor) and that probably contributed to the general peaceful quiet...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank V2traveler

Reviewed 16 March 2012

This hotel was a bit dated. However, the staff and cleanliness of the hotel made up for that. Our 3 children enjoyed the pool, which they were kind enough to put us directly across the hall from. Also, we have a handicapped son so the room was plenty roomy for us. We had a king room with foldout couch and had plenty of room for a rollaway bed. The hotel offers a laundry room, but only one washer and one dryer. Breakfast was average. Great price and beautiful scenery at the catwalk canyon and Gila Forest.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank naomilchance
Reviewed 6 March 2012

My four year old had a couple of minor food spills on the bed on the first night of a three night stay at this hotel. It was very minor and we wiped off her chocolate milk and papa johns pizza sauce with a towel. We received no maid service the first day and called down to get some additional towels that evening, a really nice staff person named Meghan gladly brought the towels and apologized profusely (she was really nice).

We swam in the pool the first day but it was closed the rest of the time we were there. Staff came into the pool area while we were about to get in the second day and explained that it was closed. Later that day I called the desk to see if it was open again, a very nice desk staff named Jeremy told me it was closed because the person who knew how to chlorinate the pool was out of town.

We had gone out Saturday morning (9:30) and it was very cold and runoff from the roof from snow on that friday afternoon had froze on the parking lot and my four year old took a good fall and skinned her knee (no big deal really just an ouchy). The staff who were outside smoking noticed her fall and said that they would call maintenance to put down salt (which they did).

Overall, we had a really nice stay with great staff responses to some typical hotel issues.

Then came the circus. After we leave to get on the road through rural Arizona, I get a call from the hotel manager. I don't believe she was actually at her work when she called because she called me from her personal cell phone. She left me a message while I was driving through areas where I didn't have cell service to tell me she charged my credit card for $100 of damages to the bed sheets. I called her back after getting cell service in northern AZ. I was confused. What damage? You mean the chocolate milk spill that we cleaned up three days ago that was completely washable and that was so minor that we had been sleeping on it the last two nights? She responded by initially saying I should've called her back earlier or told someone about the spill before checking out. She said that they thought it was blood and threw the sheets away. I told her no it was food coloring. Then she said I should teach my four year old not to spill things and have more respect for property. She explained that her mother taught her better manners.... She went on to say that people shouldn't be eating on the beds in the hotel rooms. I said WHAT? You have microwaves and refrigerators in every room, where do people usually eat? She said the desk in the room was for eating. I told her I was going to fight the charge, she said fine and hung up.

I submitted complaints to the better business bureau, my credit card, and to her corporate econolodge people. You should see the explanation she gave OMG. It went from fabricating a complete lie about me fighting with the desk clerk about my check in, which didn't happen. Meghan checked me in and was absolutely wonderful. She even helped me find a plastic fork for my daughter to eat to go food. The manager, in her response to corporate and BBB proceeded to lie about the pool being closed and also about the ice on the parking lot. Then.. get this.. she said they found "chunks" in the spill and that it was six foot wide and required biohazard suits to clean up. This is a person desperate to cover up really bad management skills to the point of making up really amazing fabricated stories. The hotel was really nice, good experience, nice amenities with typical hotel issues (maid service, ice, pool). But I suspect my hundred dollars didn't end up in the hotel cash bin. I suspect it ended up in a certain manager's pocket (thus the calling from her cell phone and not the hotel phone). I wouldn't stay here because you might just get ripped off by the manager.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Carrie T
Paaru, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

The Econolodge of Silver City is a platinum award winning hotel whose priority is their guests and their comfort while staying with us. The guest was informed that if the linens were salvageable that she would not be charged. After three days of trying to get the stains out of the bed the hotel lost everything this includes: sheets, mattress cover, blanket, four pillows and cases and a full set of towels (towels, wash clothes and hand towels). Three colors in large quantities were poured into the bed. This was not a little milk spilled on the bed. The bed was fully soaked with stains. The pool was never closed. She placed a Do Not Disturb on her door and never requested anything from the front desk. The temperature has not dropped in Silver City low enough to freeze the parking lot in over two months. The GM did not hang up on the guest during the phone conversation. The cost of hotel rooms continues to climb because of many outside sources and one of the biggest is abuse or damage to the property. We want our rooms to look like the guest is the first one to ever stay in the room and a mattress with three large stains is an unacceptable condition. Total loss to hotel including labor costs and a new mattress is over $900 but the guest was only charged $100 to replace the damaged linens after being unsuccessfull in trying to reclaim the linens. We apologize to the guest for this charge but we tried everything possible to avoid the damage charge.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

The staff at this place was absolutely great. (Special shout out to Jake, Renee, Meghan and Jeremy.) They were helpful, friendly and very accomodating. The room was clean and well appointed. I thought the breakfast was very good. The selection is much better than I have had in similar establishments. Overall, I felt it was a good value for the money. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The first floor room was prefect....easy access to the parking lot and it was quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrNiceGuy424
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Well, I dont beleive I just paid over 100$ for that hotel. Stayed for one night and it was enough. Good clean room but not for that price. Staff was ok. Breakfast, well the Cherrio's were good, the coffe was horrible and the juice watered down. Had hot stuff. Powdered eggs with some kind of bacon? Biscuit and glue? If your like me and you've had a lot better for a lot cheaper, you get my point. I have travelled a lot and this place does not merrit a 4\5, sorry...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We steyed here for a month while job relocation and it was the most horrible expirience we ever had. BUT i must state that of weather circumstances have HAD to go back and guess what... They did make improvements looks like a diferent hotel, even the staff is better, beakfast did improve, so we must say that this hotel did excel themselves. Finally

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Connoisseur-G
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Higher quality than most motels/hotels. Efficient and friendly staff, new fitness center, hot breakfast, exceptionally clean rooms, quiet (had room at front but heard no traffic noise). Pet friendly. Understand they have just got platinum status and well deserved!t

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple