“Polite and helpful”

Econo Lodge
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Silver City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I was incredibly impressed with the staff at this motel. They were very polite and helpful. The front desk clerk provided a map of the city. The hotel (including the hallways and stairs) were very clean. I had absolutely no problems and had a great time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 April 2013

We arrived in a group, and I was afraid that checking in that many people would take forever. But despite having only one clerk behind the desk, everything went smoothly, efficiently, and accurately. The clerk was very polite and helpful, and I will say that when we checked out the 2 ladies were the same. 5 stars for them all.

Our room was on the second floor, on the "highway" side and I don't recall any traffic noise at all. We do tend to keep the air circulating, so perhaps this drowned out any noise there might have been. There was a definite smell of cigarette smoke in the hallway. I couldn't find any smoking rooms around that area, so I don't know where it was coming from. Fortunately, it did not invade our room.

I liked that our room had the sink outside the toilet/tub room; that is always a plus for me. Adequate space, comfy bed, handy mini fridge, older TV but we never turned it on so that didn't matter. There were plenty of towels and everything looked clean. Even the complimentary shampoo, soaps etc were replaced each day.

Breakfast was included, and the woman on the first morning had trouble keeping up with the crowd. The scrambled eggs and coffee cream took too long to be replenished, messes were not cleaned in a timely manner-- I think she was overwhelmed. The bacon was terrible-- it looked greasy but had a dry cardboardy texture. The sausage patties the next morning were much better, plus the juice actually tasted like juice. The young man working in the breakfast room that day was really hustling: 5 stars for him. There was fresh fruit, bagels, make your own waffle, hard boiled and scrambled eggs, hot items like biscuits and gravy, cereals, coffee, juice, and milk-- you could make a decent meal here.

The highlight for us was the balcony on the second floor-- access is just past the soda machines. There are benches to sit on and a couple of end tables, lots of space to stand or lean against the railing. There is a room whose window looks out to the balcony, so we tried to keep the noise level polite so as not to disturb too much. The balcony overlooks the highway (not that much traffic) and the front parking lot, but you can also catch the sunset and mountain silhouettes. Great place to hang out.

When checking out, there is a sign that says there is a $1.50 per day charge, but if you ask, it will be removed. So I asked. And it was taken off. I hate being charged for a safe, and to just take it off if I ask-- why charge in the first place?

Overall, this is an older place with some signs of wear, but it is maintained well and has pleasant people. I would like to give 3.5 stars for the yucky bacon and smoky hallway, but I will I "round up" to the 4 stars for the location and people. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank SapphireVoyager
Reviewed 4 April 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner decide to stayed in the hotel based in their trip advisor reviews. I could not be more happy of that decision we made. room were clean, bed is great, pillows are clean. OR MAY BE MY DEMANDS AS CUSTOMER ARE NOT THAT HIGH. BUT REALLY GOOD TO US in fact we decide to stay in Econolodge in Santa Fe were we are right now because the experience in Silver City.
Just be careful and check every city because not all hotels are run under same standard.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 31 March 2013

The people were cordial. My only gripe is that I went with this hotel because of the reviews and it did not meet my expectations. We had a non-smoking room and I could still smell the smoke from the hall and the other rooms. I went so far as to put a towel on the floor of the door. When we checked in the receptionist was outside smoking and when we check-out the next morning a different receptionist was outside smoking. After running an tourist business for almost 2 decade I recommend that the manager put into practice some rules about smoking while not on break.
The carpets desperately need to be replaced. This hotel is a one because of the cleanliness.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Paaru, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2013

We are sorry to hear about this negative experience. We are a platinum award winning hotel 2 years in a row and we feel bad to hear about any negative experience at our hotel. We only have a few smoking rooms because the market demands it. We have isolated those rooms in a certain section so they do not impact the non smoking areas. However, sometimes people smoke while walking in the hallway. That is against our policy and we put an end to it as soon as we spot someone on camera. Our desk clerks work a straight 8 hour shift with no breaks away from the desk. When things are slow the clerks who smoke might go outside to take a smoke break. They cannot leave the desk out of sight so try to stay in our courtyard area if no one is in the courtyard. We obvioulsy cannot discriminate against employees that smoke. All of our rooms are inspected on a daily basis by our head house keeper. We try to catch any errors by our staff before they impact any customers. We apologize if there were certain things that were missed in your room. We thank you for the feedback and giving us an oppurtunity to improve our service.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

We just needed a place to stay overnight while visiting friends/relatives in Silver City. Econo Lodge fit the bill. It's reasonably close to town, less than a mile from the historic center. It was clean and generally comfortable. The wifi was easy to use and reliable. The heat/AC unit was powerful, but wasn't finely adjustable. The mattresses were very comfortable, but all of the pillows were much too thick and dense for us. All in all, just about what I expected for the reasonable but not dirt cheap rate that we paid.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeffrey R
Reviewed 15 March 2013

When deciding on what place to stay when visiting friends in New Mexico, they suggested all hotel/motels in the area. I was unsure of staying in Econo Lodge due to some past experiences. My friend stated she thinks a nice place. Well with my friends recommendation i decided to try it for one night. Boy was i amazed. The place was so clean and friendly. The staff made me feel like i was one of the family. I have stayed at may hotels, but i think this one is at the top of my list.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Victoria M
Reviewed 15 March 2013

This hotel is clean, quite, friendly to children. It has great pool. Breakfast if fulfilling all in all a great place away from home. Truly would stay again when I pass through.Staff were well informed about local places to eat and very respectful. rooms were clean and beds were just great.

Room Tip: Upper floor back side was very quite.