“A culinary treat hidden in the mountains.”
Review of Shevek & Co - CLOSED

Shevek & Co
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: "Casual Haute Cuisine." A blend of International Traditional Mediterranean & Mediterranean Fusion Cuisines. Adherents to the Slow Food Movement- all dishes are made from scratch to order. Largest Wine Cellar and Microbrew & Import Beer list in SWNM. Italian Espresso. We buy local, organic, sustainable & humanely raised produce and meats with no hormones or antibiotics. All dishes come in 3 sizes to create the dining experience you desire. Enjoy the full Seasonal Menu in our dining room or have a selection of tapas in our Wine/Beer/Espresso Bar. Members of the SW New Mexico Green Chamber of Commerce.Find us & Chef Shevek on Facebook, ChefShevek on Twitter or read Shevek's blog & get recipes at blogspot as thekissmethodgourmetCooking class schedule- taught at the restaurant- and the list of our canned foods are available through thekissmethodgourmet
Show Low, Arizona
“A culinary treat hidden in the mountains.”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

A feast was had last night and it was fantastic. The entire experience perfect from beginning to end. The setting is comfortable and attractive. There is a separate Bar area that allows you to chose your dining experience. For example talking on your cell phone is prohibited in the dining room but allowed in the bar. I think this is exactly how it should be. It helps create a wonderful experience for everyone. Along the same lines as this, small children are discouraged. Again this is as it should be. I am a father of two kids, but completely support this policy in a restaurant like this. I know one review here counted it as a negative, but I'm pretty sure that reviewer completely misses the point of a restaurant like this, as he also completely missed the idea behind the small portion sizes. (which is perfectly explained on the first page of the menu) If there had been young kids there when I walked in last night, I would have walked right back out. The food was wonderful and I ended up trying four different items. And if you can't make up your mind what items to try, have the chef surprise you. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank spec_ops007

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Would not a positive experience”
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

I ate there with my family, the food average and potions small. I had my small child, they do not cater to kids. I would not go back.

1 Thank WillBrooks
chefshevek, Owner at Shevek & Co, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Sorry you did not enjoy your experience. You did not mention the quality of the food or the service--so I am unsure whether you found them lacking.

These days, we do all our food in tapa size. For those do not know what a tapa is, it is the Spanish word for a small plate of food with a small portion upon it and a small price. We will be pleased to do a multiple-tapa size on a larger plate for those who so request.

Though it is true we do not have a children's menu, whether the child would enjoy the food depends on the child's palate. We have always been willing to do plain pasta with butter or--when we have it--marinara sauce. We also have always catered to children by bringing things like smaller glasses or cups that can be treated like "sippy-cups". There has always been a high chair and a booster seat available in the restaurant. We have had few issues with children in our restaurant, though occasionally we have had issues with parents who have not made sure their child sits with them at table; a child running around the restaurant can create a hazard among waitpeople carrying trays of hot food and beverages. This can be dangerous for the child, for our other guests, and for staff.

Since we are a formal sit-down restaurant, those few young children who were crying loudly have always had parents willing to take the child out of the dining room without prompting from staff. But, as the owner of the restaurant, I fostered 17 children and enjoy having children around and do not see any issue with bringing a child of any age to our restaurant. In fact, one of my joys is when a young child comes in and is as unafraid of food, at their age, as I was when I was a young child.

I hope some day you'll join us again.
Killeen, Texas
“Bliss in every bite!”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I love visiting Shevek and Co. as often as possible. Their food is absolutely incredible, service is superb, and restaraunt is wonderful. They well deserve to be #1 in the city. I travel from East/Central Texas to see family and insist on eating here a minimum of once per trip!

• Visited November 2013
Tucson, Arizona
“What a treat!”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I'm usually suspicious of small restaurants with large menus, but everything here was absolutely fresh and extremely well prepared. They serve tapas-size portions, so we each had 3 courses plus dessert. The cavatappi was my favorite, but everything was memorable. Great wine list, knowledgeable service, owner/chef greeted us at our table and he was friendly and personable. If you want one special dinner out Silver City, this is the place.

Visited November 2013
Lions Bay, B.c.
“Good experience”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We loved the tapas portions, the flavors, the dedication to using good quality and locally supplied food. Pleased we were able to speak with the chef, his personal stories added to the enjoyment of the food. We also love the big print menu. Excellent value and service.

Visited November 2013