“One of our favorites”

Bear Mountain Lodge
Ranked #1 of 8 Silver City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We have been here several times, and always hate to leave. Between the wonderful room, great staff, and on-site hiking, it is one of the nicest places to relax. And the art (it functions as a gallery) doesn't hurt!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Owners Linda and John and manager Jeff run a tight ship at this out-of-the-way B&B about 2.5 miles from Hwy 180 and Silver City center. Nicely appointed rooms with views of mountains and adjoining Gila Nat'l Forrest make the lodge a resort unto itself. Artwork abounds (all for sale) as the first floor acts as a self contained gallery. The lodge setting makes for easy meeting and conversing with staff and other guests and is a welcoming experience when traveling solo.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband and I recently stayed here for a long birthday weekend away from ABQ. I had wanted a nice relaxing place out in the beauty of nature, and that's what we got. The inn is absolutely charming, as are the owners Linda and Jeff. We were very late checking in and Linda was sweet enough to accommodate our rushed schedule getting into town and then a dash to the Curious Kumquat. She just left the keys for us and we met her the next day at breakfast (which is out of this world--homemade everything.) We enjoyed ours out on the beautiful porch watching the hummingbirds swoop into the feeders. We were in the Mimbres room, very comfortable with a king bed, feather comforter, nice pillows and a huge bathroom. There was also a semi-private porch out back to sit and enjoy the sunshine, the birds, and the art garden that surrounds the property. If you love art, this place is for you. The whole place is a gallery--every square inch is covered with local art that's for sale. I particularly liked the art of the owner (Linda). We also visited her new gallery in town (Ursa Minor) which is very worth seeing. There are hiking trails on the property as well--easily accessed by a short walk from the lodge. It's all very casual down there, you come and go as you please and there's not much staff around except in the mornings. But we always had Linda's cell # if we needed anything. There are Aveda products in the bathroom, as well as local goodies too. It's all done very well. The only suggestions I would have are minor: decaf coffee for the tortured souls not allowed to drink caffeine, and side tables in all the bathrooms. We had one in the Mimbres, but I noticed that none of the other rooms had them. And with only a pedestal sink, there's really nowhere to put all your toiletries, etc. Anyway, we can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor of the lodge have a semi-private porch out back.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Fantastic food,lovely peaceful setting but website said someone was always there and owner was there when we arrived at but she left at 6 so I wanted to make sure I had all my questions answered. Both ac and heat not turned on in rooms and room was warm at 4 but with open windows it was great by bedtime, glad we had cooler balcony. At 4 I asked for the cheese/fruit plate and was told she had already shopped for the day. Later. I asked if she had just fruit that I had seen in the kitchen to tide us over and she said she could do something, well it was really something. She put together pistachios , fruit, homemade wonderful crackers with a delicious spread!! I'm awake at 5 and coffee at 7, breakfast 8 we were told but both coffee and breakfast arrived a bit earlier. Tea available at all times. Just some mismatch with expectations but delicious food, breakfast was fruit, yogurt, granola plus bacon and quiche like yummy!

Room Tip: Get balcony if ac not yet on
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank annacatherine
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I've stayed at a lot of B&B's. Sometimes you find one that just feels right. This is that kind of place. It's just plain comfortable but extremely well appointed. The hosts Jeff and Linda are two of the better people you'll meet. This is our 3rd year here, and we've yet to stump them on a request...and have made a lot of them. The sights are awesome, the quiet is beyond awesome, and there's a constant parade of wildlife right in front of you each day.
And the food is just plain good...one of my favorites.

Room Tip: Have stayed in 4. Liked them all..
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2014

From the moment we were greeted at the door by our most gracious and friendly host Jeff, we felt like we were home. The lodge and room (Gila) was incredibly comfortable and visually pleasing. We just loved the variety of local artwork featured through out the lodge. The entire staff, housekeepers, breakfast staff - very welcoming and engaging. There's really no other place to consider staying during a visit to Silver City - Very reasonably priced for the quality of accommodation and breakfast. Hike right outside your door, come home after dinner to deer grazing near the front door, the smell of Pinon as you arrive - feel right at home at the Bear Mountain Lodge. A short 5 hr drive from Arizona, we'll be back for sure. We feel like we made new friends at Bear Mountain, in fact a couple we met from Canada during our stay is dropping by our place here in Cave Creek and we'll be having dinner tonight. It's that kind of place.

Room Tip: We really like the Gila room on the first floor of the lodge. The upstairs room might offer a better...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank creeker5050
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Make sure you get the directions from their website because the GPS had me going in circles. I planned just an overnight trip to Silver City and made reservations based on other reviews I read. I took my Mom who is very well traveled and a tad on the particular side. She was very pleased. We stayed in Myra's retreat which is like a casita with 4 rooms, all have their private bathrooms and then a communal space in the center which is decorated like a library. The bathrooms were all remodeled as well as the rooms. I really love all the artwork displayed at the lodge and in the bedrooms, it made me smile.

I intend to plan a girls weekend very soon so we can cackle all night with out bothering anybody!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family