“Nice place to stay”
Review of Murray Hotel

Murray Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Silver City
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in June. Staff was attentive and helpful. Room was great, period art-deco interior, great detail, nice interior with recessed chandelier in middle of room, great tile work in bathroom, "old fashioned" pedestal sink. Good location downtown. Coffee in the lobby & no phone in room, but not a problem. Older model TV. Nice desk to work in room next to window on top floor. Overall hotel is still a work in progress, but mainly just some minor details left to finish. Neat place. Like stepping back in time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Dave P
ProudGM, General Manager at Murray Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel. We do have a little ways to go before we are completely done with our updates. We hope you decide to come back and stay with us once our updates are complete. Happy traveling.

There are newer reviews for Murray Hotel

Reviewed 10 July 2014

The Murray is everything that you have read--beautifully restored, historic, and well presented, from the street entrance to the rooms. However, you have not read that it has an updated air conditioning system. Upon arrival in Silver City, the temps were in the 90's. When we checked in and made it to our room, I was astounded to see a window fan and a very warm room. Thinking that we had accidentally been given this room by mistake (surely there was a maintenance issue????), I went downstairs to inquire. After a flowery, well-prepared explanation about "passive cooling", I came to understand that the hotel was restored to its original condition: 1930's air conditioning!!!
Please do visit, enjoy the lobby (it does have a/c), see the hard work and attention to detail and get a room elsewhere. Possibly in the October - April season this would have been a great choice. Silver City is in southern New Mexico, a desert! It is hot.

4  Thank Drrtsw
ProudGM, General Manager at Murray Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Hi Drrtsw,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We at the Murray Hotel feel that our charm and convenience out set the fact that we do not have a/c. However we are in the high desert which means it does get warm during the day, but cools off quickly in the evening. We do hope to add ceiling fans and a passive cooling system in the very near future.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

This hotel has been lovingly renovated. The new owners have kept the art deco period through out the hotel all while giving the customer the nice little touches we desire today. Debbie, who checked us in, was so knowledgeable about the hotel and the history of the town, she made the hotel come alive for us. She helped us to have a wonderful walk in downtown Silver City. Everyone was great!

1  Thank SherriTate
ProudGM, General Manager at Murray Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Hello Sherri,

Thank you so much for your kind review. Debbie is our resident historian on Silver City and the hotel and it was nice to hear she was so helpful to you. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

This is a hotel that perennially has potential but hasn't gotten there yet. I would characterize this as what I imagine a Soviet Era four-star hotel would be like. I arrived and was checked in promptly. The hotel was almost empty, I got to park for free on the sidewalk at the front door. The hotel doesn't have air conditioning. This wasn't a problem when I stayed in June. Silver City is at a high altitude, so it's generally cooler. It could however get hot there, which would impact my ability to sleep. Rooms were quiet and clean. The furniture is old and probably used, but in good condition. Some of the rooms are clunky in layout. The television was an old Sony something that did look like a remnant of the Soviet Union. This is still better though than some of the chain hotels in town, which are dumps. You can usually find a room here, even with late booking. I would't hesitate to stay here when traveling alone, and outside of summer when you can count on air conditioning not being a factor. For a couples stay I would try one of the B&B's, but the word's out on those and they book early.

My room didn't have an iron or ironing board, had to ask for it twice, but did get it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
ProudGM, General Manager at Murray Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you Steve for sharing your opinion of our hotel. We are still a work in progress. There are future pans to add in a cooling system and update our televisions. Hope to you see you again once we have completed our updates.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We were driving cross country, and had stayed in our share of chain hotels, so I was delighted to learn of the Murray Hotel as we approached Silver City, even more so because I'm a great fan of Art Deco design. Maybe it would have been better if I weren't such a fan. I have no problem with the renovation being unfinished. My problem was with aspects of the renovations that were finished.
The lobby was very attractive and the furniture did maintain an Art Deco style, but what about that bookcase?! A cheap wooden Home Depot caliber bookcase stuck smack in the middle of the lobby, stocked full of used, crummy paperbacks. A "lending library" is a nice gesture in a hotel, but please, put it somewhere less obtrusive.
On the way to our room, my husband couldn't get over the inferior way the carpet had been laid. It was a geometric pattern,, but by being laid off-center it gave a dizzying and unprofessional look.
And speaking of the hallways, the room doors seemed completely out of place. Yes, the were attractive, but while the unfinished wood is compatible with a southwestern style, they were totally wrong for Art Deco that prized a very shiny, high gloss look.
When I woke up in the middle of the night I asked my husband to lower the temp in the A/C, but wait there is no air conditioning! Folks, it's the desert, the temperature goes to 110! Yes, there was a fan, but it was as loud as an locomotive. We were told a "cooling system", but not air conditioning was to be installed, but this was said with a wink-wink. At best, try a ceiling fan, if nothing else it looks better than that large contraption in the room.
All in all, the amenities, cleanliness were fine, but we expected so much more.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
ProudGM, General Manager at Murray Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Hello Martha,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. At this time we are still a work in progress and have some future projects to complete and some of these are installing ceiling fans, a cooling system, and upgrading our tv. As far as the solid oak bookcase goes, we have a lot of guest who enjoy the fact that they can come down and select a book and read it in our lobby. Yes most of our books are paperbacks, but most of our books are left by previous guest who generally do not travel with hard cover books. Finishing off our guest room doors is a project we plan to have completed by the end of the year. Yes we are in the desert, but the high desert. That means that we cool off quickly once the sun goes down. Also the average temps for June in Silver City is around 88 degrees. We hope that you decide to stay with us again once we have completed our updates.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was our second trip to Silver City and our second stay at the Murray Hotel. Such a charming experience with delightful staff members.
There are always surprises at the Murray. Although their website did not mention it, we got a voucher for breakfast each morning. Since the air conditioning has not been finished, when we got the bill, there was a discount for each degree over 80. Although there was no A/C, the evenings cooled off and a fan in the window brought in the cooler night air and it stayed quite comfortable all day, though there was so much to do and see in the area that we didn't spend too much time in our room during the day. Another surprise was the coffee in the lobby. The owner loves his coffee and makes sure his guests have the best!
We look forward to returning to the Murray the next time Silver City calls us back for a visit!

1  Thank AZtraveler661

Hi AZ Travler,

Thank you so much for the kind words and wonderful review. We here at the hotel love to know that our guest like to come back to a place that we consider a great place to stay.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

While the hotel still has a few finishing touches to complete, it's quite nice in every way. With lots of class and character, the hotel is an icon in downtown Silvery City, although a bit overpriced for what it is. Having said that, I definitely recommend it. You won't be disappointed, except for the current poor choice of TV channels, which the hotel plans to remedy.

Every morning under your door, you'll awake to a breakfast voucher worth $5.00 at a nearby sandwich shop and bakery. Located just around the corner, it's a wonderful choice. The prices are reasonable. I recommend the French toast. The chocolate chip cookie I had was to die for. Nice big glass of orange juice too.

I used the laundromat, which was a few short blocks walk away from the hotel: friendly service, a dazzling array of machines, and a coin machine that gave me a handful of quarters for my $10.00,

The Catholic church is a few blocks walk from the hotel. While I don't remember when the Saturday evening masses are, the Sunday ones are at 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m.

Don't miss walking through the antique store across from the hotel. It was so outstanding, I couldn't resist buying a book dated 1899. I'm sure that I paid too much for it!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
ProudGM, General Manager at Murray Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Hello Wordtech,

We were really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. One of the best perks about staying with us is the great central location. We hope to see you again, and happy travels.