“Wonderful gelato”
Review of Alotta Gelato - CLOSED

Alotta Gelato
Price range: US$1 - US$4
Good for: Child-friendly
Description: New Mexico's oldest gelato shop, serving home made gelato (Italian ice cream) and fresh-baked desserts. Featured in Fodor's, Frommer's, Moon Guides, and Travel section of the NY Times! Located in Silver City's historic Arts & Cultural District, Alotta Gelato is open 7 days a week from Noon to 9:00 PM (Sun-Thu), or Noon to 10:00 PM (Fri-Sat). Both indoor and outdoor seating is available, and we can pack your purchase 'to go.' Ask about our dairy-free, gluten-free, and sugar-free flavors. Find us on Facebook!
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Best ice cream and sorbet we have had since a trip to Florence. Really nice and well worth a visit. Friendly service too.

MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

High praise indeed! It was a pleasure to meet you!

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Visitors to town probably miss what Alotta Gelato is all about. It is more that just great gelato. Mitch. the owner is always there, keeping some of the longest hours open in town. Mitch makes sure you have samples if you are undecided about what flavor to order and invents new flavors for special events. This is the place to go for tickets to local events, and there is a back room open to groups for various meetings. If you want to know what is going on in town Mitch usually has the scoop and will share his opinion in his usual deadpan manner. Mitch is a one man chamber of commerce who just happens to sell great gelato.

1  Thank Donna S
MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

What a wonderful review-- thank you! However; I must say that I never really thought of my manner as 'deadpan.' Actually, I've been aiming for something in between 'world-weary' and 'elder statesman'. Oh, well-- sarcasm is just another service we offer here at Alotta Gelato. ;) Thanks again!

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I can't add much beyond what others have said -- worth saving room for a dish after dinner! Very generous servings, wonderful selection of flavors, personable owner - what a combination!

1  Thank Patricia H
MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Patricia, thanks! Come back to Silver City soon!

Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Great selection of flavors, owner is very creative. Warning, they fill your cup up here! The cherries jubilee and banana flavors were fantastic! Mitch sat down and chatted with us for awhile. It was like coming home or seeing an old friend. Don't miss stopping here if you are in town.

1  Thank falconman1
MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Thanks, folks! I'm glad I had the chance to sit down with you both and tell you about Silver City.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We had dessert here on 8/32/13. I had two different flavors, as did my wife. Texture was excellent, and the flavors melded together well. The staff was friendly, and the atmosphere lends itself to just sitting in the shop and relaxing while eating your treat. My wife especially liked the sour cherry, she was talking about it well into the next day. We will return here- highly recommended.

1  Thank GREG C
MitchHellman, Owner at Alotta Gelato, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thanks, guys! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Just remember: we're not that far away from Sedona!