“Supercilious owner!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

La Cocina Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 78 Restaurants in Silver City
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Supercilious owner!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

To start off with, the picture above is not what this place looks like. The picture is a palace compared to the actual location. The first time I ordered from here was while staying at the econo lodge visiting my family when they first moved to Silver City. They had heard the food was good so I figured I would try it... Plus they delivered. Well, as for the people that said the food was good... All I can say is I will never listen to them again. I am from El Paso, TX and they have great Mexican restaurants around every corner. The food was at best, average. I decided I would give it another try and actually go there a few months later. I then saw the place, not a place I would have picked... Went in and it smelled... Ordered menudo and well, it wasn't even edible. There was no one else in the restaurant and a man approached the table and asked how everything was. I told him I did not like the menudo and he told me he was not going to comp it... There was nothing wrong with it. Really? You asked how it was, I was just telling you I didn't like it, I didn't ask for you to comp it. I told my mother about this and she informed me that it was probably the owner. I guess he had been rude to her on multiple occasions. Well today my mother called to place a fairly large delivery order as she did not want to cook, didn't want pizza, nor did she want to go anywhere. The whole time while ordering I could hear the man on the other end be very rude and short with her. After telling him she would be paying with HER credit card... He said "well, just so you know the card has to be shown, ID, and the card holder has to sign for it" yeah... By simply reading it you can't hear how it was said but it came off VERY condescending. My mother did lose her temper and said "f' this cancel my order" and drove down there to make a formal complaint to the owner. Well, come to find out it was the owner that she had been speaking with. Shocked my mother said "it was you?!" He then told her to get out or he would call the cops. She immediately left and came straight back to the house. Within 15 minutes her phone was ringing and it was Silver PD... Yep, he called the cops! SMH... This man has ZERO customer service skills and is very arrogant. If you are in the Silver City area and want good Mexican food I suggest either Jaliscos or Nancy's, both are located downtown and offer great customer service.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Cowgirl1985

New Mexico
“My favorite tacos in town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

I guess I've pretty much only ordered tacos here because the wait staff always asks me if it's "taco Tuesday" when I walk in; or like the last time, "taco Saturday". Well this past Saturday it was indeed, Taco Saturday. My partner and I split a plate of (3) pollo asado tacos on corn and (3) carne asada tacos on flour and they were particularly yummy, especially the chicken this time. I also had one rolled side of green cheese enchilada since I've never tried their green enchie sauce. It was very good and I look forward to trying a stack of these with the pollo asado if they'll do that for me (I hope so). We also shared an order of sopapillas which were fair to good, but kinda flat and not puffy or hollow enough to fill with leftover ingredients that fall from the tacos, like I enjoy doing. This is an affordable and yummy place to eat tacos. Not much atmosphere but they deliver and they've always been friendly to me. Oh, and their tacos rock!

• Visited March 2013
Silver City, New Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

This is not a picture of La Cocina in Silver City, NM so do not look for this, it only has a glass door on the side of brown building. Do like that they deliver but the delivery person is usually so busy that they seem cranky.

The food is good, the soups are really good but the chile is often too hot and the potato chunks are more like mini slabs, I can usually cut each chunk of potato into fourths so I can eat it.

Atmosphere wise it is a building that used to be a mechanics shop so it ECHOES something fierce and only has one bathroom which can be an issue if you have little kids.

If you can get Holly for your waitress she is awesome the others are OK.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Crown Point
“They deliver!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013 via mobile

And i do mean bring it right to you! i found the food so tasty that we ordered again the next day! good price too. thanks to econolodge we tried this one and im gonna tell everyone how good the food is.

1 Thank kilgorerena
Silver City, New Mexico
“Combination Traditional y Tired”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

This is the best place to find some traditional Chihuahuan recipes, but they are too often overcome with too much lard and too many frijoles y too much arroz without character.

Visited October 2012