“Not a "B" to remember” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gallery 400

Gallery 400
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Silver City
Gallery 400
Ranked #8 of 9 Silver City B&B and Inns
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Not a "B" to remember”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

This is not a ‘B&B’ – it’s just a ‘B’ (bed, but no breakfast served). For the price, they give you back a $7 coupon for a restaurant across the street where two normal breakfasts will cost you another $20 on top of the coupon. The restaurant (Vickie’s) is pretty decent, but if they had just given me back my $7 in cash we could at least have chosen a restaurant for breakfast on our own.
The whole place is pretty much self service, and we saw almost nothing of our hosts other than chance encounters in the hall. The owner spoke on her cell phone nearly the entire time she was checking us in. We had to fold up a rollaway bed left in our room (from the prior guests?) and push it against the wall to make room for a table and 2 stools, then go get the table and stools from the room across the hall ourselves. No amenities (soap, shampoo, etc) were in the room, but we did get a bar of Ivory soap on request. There was no bureau or even shelves to unpack clothes into – we stacked our stuff on a wooden bench in the back of the closet. We were in a basement room (Mogollon) and the windows were covered with old sheets as was the doorless closet. The mattress and box-spring were directly on the floor and the mattress was very soft and well worn, as were the bed clothes. When we came back in the evenings there were no inside lights left on. Someone prior to us had left a gooey mess on the top of a cupboard which was feeding down the inside corner through two shelves and dripping on the counter below. We mentioned it to the cleaning person on our second day and mentioned it again to the owner 3 days later when it was still dripping when we left. All of this could be viewed as 60's ‘charm’ if that’s what we were looking for and the price had been commensurate. All-in-all, this place has a long way to go to meet standards of B&B hospitality.
P.S.: Watch out for the bathroom floor – very slippery when wet and the rubber bath mat does not stay in place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank StellaRella
gilahouse, Owner at Gallery 400, responded to this review, 7 June 2016
We have went back and forth about the breakfast situation.. We did try the coupons, but many of our guests had expressed concerns similar to yours.. Yes the floor in that room can be very slippery and we have tried to provide shower mats to help.. I am so sorry that we were not attentive in addressing your concerns with the mess. The bed had a foam topper that some people aren't used to.. Probably too soft for some.. please accept my apologies..
Richard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Safford, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We had the Mogollon Room. The room we had was roomy enough and mostly clean, we did like the Robes, they were great and the towel were also clean. Even though there was no shampoo in the room, Amanda did offer to give us what is needed when requested. I also liked the off street parking. We did enjoy the art, although some of the art are questionable, but that is my own opinion, there could've of been more art displayed, and I consider it okay. The location was somewhat busy, but that it was central. I felt since we were practically the only one there it was like we had the place to ourselves. Amanda was not always around, but she was accessible when we had to find her we had to go to their living quarters, where I had to go down stairs then upstairs which I had trouble, because I wear braces for support and I did struggled going up and down. I would recommend that they put some type of communication system to have access to someone when needed for just information. When I had to make reservations Richard was accommodating for me, because in some of the circumstances he would go out of his way to help, and his service was great when I needed him to do something for me. When Richard was there he was not only helpful, but was friendly and happy. Over all, we very much enjoyed ourselves being there. We recommend anyone to stay there, because we felt that it was quiet for the most part, we also slept great on the bedding we had. Thank you! Richard and Amanda

Room Tip: We had the Mogollon Room. We did enjoy the art in the rooms. The room we had was roomy enough and mo...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

This is not the usual B&B set up. I've read several prior reviews-- favorable and less favorable and they are pretty accurate. We have stayed several times in the Mimbres Room (the largest room I think). True, the doors to the rooms are more rustic without the usual door handle and lock but in keeping with an adobe-type dwelling. The building itself is secure with a code to enter. We have found the facility to clean and quiet and a good value.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

This was our second stay at Gila House. The rooms and gallery were basically as we remembered though there are more decorative touches in the rooms now. In contrast to others we have found Richard to be the consummate host. He does work full time and so is gone on weekdays but he and Amanda helped me put together a lovely surprise party for my husband and could not have been better hosts. Richard spent other evenings with our large group and made his lovely b&b available to our guests who were not staying there as my family took all the rooms at Gila House. Rooms were clean and generally well cared for. Beds very comfortable. The location couldn't be more central. Richard offered a "tour" to our group and walked us through Silver City showing us various points of historical and architectural interest. Breakfast is basically continental however we were given vouchers for the charming restaurant across the street. It was our second great experience at the Gila House.

Room Tip: There are only three rooms and each has its own charms. All depends on what you like....
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Beth A
Lincoln, Montana, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

The place was not without potential charm and it appeared that improvements had been made. However, the hosts could be show a little more social finesse. We felt as though we were imposing upon their living quarters from the moment we checked in. The room was smallish, not a problem for us but the doors to the rooms are poorly designed and blew open twice while we were sleeping. I came to my senses and used a chair to barricade the doors at 3am. I am not an artist but the art in our room was barely short of forboding. I did not have any sense that the place represented any kind of gallery and the hosts took no time to attempt to introduce us to the art displayed which we would have appreciated. Great bed. No shampoo and no individual soap. Good towels.

Room Tip: Ask more questions than we did and do not assume the small things. Eg soaps, security, etc.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Annie A

Travellers are raving about these Silver City hotels

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

First off, I thought that the price was reasonable. I don't stay in a lot of B and B's but this one looked interesting because it is alos an art gallery.

There was just an odd feel about this place and I feel guilty writitng this because it is hard to explain. Perhaps it was that I could hear what was going around outside my door and I heard people talking in the next room, children crying and being punished by their parents, etc.

Even upon arriving, the owners just sat there, took my money, and pointed me to the room. No small talk required. There was dead silence the next day as we left. No one was up and it wasn't all that early. I was surprised to see some art work with hefty asking prices for what looked like very amatuer work and these pictures lined the hallway waiting to be purchased. Although the work was by far better than anything I could ever do.

I did have a private patio attached to my room and I was able to enjoy a wonderful cigar and jsut relax, which is all I really need. Being outside at night was enjoyable. Perhaps B and B's are not my style and that's ok.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank David A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

My family of three stayed here two nights. I found the room perfect, neat and clean. In the morning fresh brewed coffee was ready with muffins and fruit, though vouchers were given for breakfast at Vicky's Eatery. A plus was that the hotel was within walking distance to the historic downtown Silver City. Oh, and I did not hear loud screaming kids as an earlier reviewer did. We had a very nice stay here and will definitely be back if ever in these parts of N.M. : )

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family