“Not Bad, but Needs Updating”

Holiday Inn Express Silver City
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Silver City
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Just returned from a trip to Silver City for work. It seems kind of strange that a hotel that is obviously frequented by people working in the area doesn't have refrigerators or microwaves in the rooms--you have to stay in the "suite" to get that luxury. I like to keep snack, soft drinks and breakfast food because I'm diabetic. The room was clean but kind of plain, the bed was okay, the pillows are horrible--but nicely labeled "firm" or "soft". The walls are THIN making it hard to sleep if someone is stomping across their floor overhead or there's a party in the room next door. I found the staff to be very helpful--including Millie. She was very nice to me when I needed change. There are probably better places to stay, but HIE isn't bad.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 August 2011

We came to Silver Citiy as our jumping off point to visit the Gila Cliff Dwellings. We are a family of 3 and were warmly welcomed to this very clean, nicely decorated facility. The rooms were large and the air conditioner worked perfectly. The morning breakfast was terrific, with a huge variety of offerings: eggs, sausage, pancakes, muffins, biscuits and gravy. Everyone was very pleasant, including the lovely breakfast room lady.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor (3rd); and it wasn't terribly noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2011

This is my second stay at this hotel while traveling statewide for work. On the first stay (same time last year) I was told I could not stay in the "suite" I had reserved because I was traveling with my dog and it was this HIE's policy to keep the suites "pet-free" - I was told this was posted on the website - it was/is not. Never mind, since the "suite" was a standard king room with a single counter holding a microwave and dorm-style mini-refrigerator, while my "non-suite" was identical, but without the counter top. On the first stay the staff was disinterested, the hot breakfast was HIE expected fare, the wireless internet was slow, the bed was miserably uncomfortable, the walls were thin with hallway/room/ceiling noise at all hours, and the room was a mix of left-over dated furniture and HIE products.
I am currently at this hotel for a second stay. Remembering the pet-room drama I phoned ahead and during registration I requested a refrigerator and microwave to be put in the king standard room I would be staying in (warning: not all rooms have these appliances), it was not here upon arrival. Although the appliances are here now - they are about 10 yr+ old appliances - the refrigerator freezes everything regardless of temp setting and the microwave will cook if the time is set about 2x that of the package instructions.
The staff is remains apathetic, wireless internet is still slow/weak signal, the bed is, again, terribly uncomfortable, and my current room is "handicap accessible" - so the clothing rack is 3 ft off the floor (my hanging clothes are puddled on the floor), the (mini) ironing board is for table-top use (with the only hard surface to put it on being the floor - I'm ironing while on my knees on the floor), and the bathroom does not have the standard HIE shower head, but instead has a cheap plastic hand held sprayer.
I have no one but myself to blame for this second, disappointing/frustrating, stay. This hotel is "independently owned and operated" and does not meet even the most basic HIE standards. I will not stay here again and I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in this area.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank NMoutreach
Reviewed 20 February 2011

we stayed this last weekend, not only were the beds horribly uncomfortable but there was mildew in the tub, and the walls in the bathroom had water damage. the walls were so thin not only could we hear what was going on in the next couple of rooms, but we could also hear what was going on above us. we joked that the olympic gymnastic team was practicing in the room above us. the spa was out of order, the front desk said that the heater in it was broken. the mirrors in the bathroom looked like they hadn't been cleaned in quite a while. and watch for the electric plugs, we had quite a few that didn't work. they were painted red and left alone. the location you have to look for or else you will miss it.

the service and breakfast was great. other than that i wouldn't recommend this place at all.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mistyloohoo
Reviewed 1 January 2011

Thoe hotel was nice but it needed updates. We stayed there to visit the Gila Cliff Dwellings, it was a good location for that.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2010

This hotel was a good nights stay. Clean and adequate, friendly front desk staff. We traveled with a pet and the room was convient to an outside entrance. Room was quiet.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2010

We had a very nice sized double-queen room on the main floor and it was surprisingly quiet both to street noise and hotel noise. The breakfast is a little bigger than you find at most places and good. The hotel is just before the main part of the town starts so you're about 5 minutes from the true center of town. Not a big deal for us, but you couldn't walk it comfortably on the busy, hilly streets. Note that you have to look for the WENDY'S sign to find the hotel (just behind it) because the Holiday Inn sign is tiny. Our only complaint was that the hot tub was out of order for our entire 4 night visit, without explanation. Kind of unfortunate. A nice place, I'd definitely look to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business