“Great Rafting Trip”

Glacier Guides and Montana Raft
Ranked #2 of 10 Tours in West Glacier
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Glacier Guides and Montana Raft is celebrating its 35th year of guiding Glacier National Park adventures! We are an eco-conscious company based in West Glacier, Montana, offering whitewater rafting, scenic floating, hiking, biking, backpacking, fishing, equipment sales and rentals, and lodging, in and around Glacier National Park. We also operate the quiet, cozy Glacier Guides Lodge at the west entrance to Glacier National Park, and have a charming Guest House available for family escapes. We strive to provide exceptional, interpretive adventures in the Glacier National Park area, while always protecting Glacier’s unique ecosystem. Our focus on safety and preservation is unequaled, and underlined by the fact that Glacier Guides was chosen as the exclusive backpacking guide service in Glacier National Park, by the National Park Service, from 1983 to present. Let our experienced guides show you Glacier’s secrets, from its pristine whitewater and scenic rafting rivers, to its 732 miles of delightful hiking trails, to its backcountry huts, Granite Park and Sperry Chalets. Join a scheduled half, full, or multi-day trip, or let us customize a private Glacier National Park adventure just for you and yours. Anglers, inquire about our Fly Fishing School and Five Day Smith River Exploration, too! Visiting us in the spectacular shoulder seasons? Learn more about our exclusive guided, interpretive biking tours on the closed-to-vehicle-traffic portions of the Going-to-the-Sun Road, and other roads within the the park. We are located on the Gateway to Glacier Trail and rent bikes, too. As we like to say: you won’t know if you don’t go!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We did the dinner tour with our three kids, 13, 15, 17. The equipment was quality and in great condition. The ride was fun. The best part was our guide, Kelsy C. She loves her job and it shows. Our kids loved her. She was a great tour guide telling us about the river's history. She also gave us good advice about other things to do in the area. The supper was very well done. Real plates and cutlery on the river bank!!!! :) The food was fresh and good. It was an expensive day, but worth it.

Ask about taking water with you. The guide may have room in the bag for your bottle and you will want it. If you go on the dinner tour send a dry bag on the pick up bus.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We had a great full day ride. The boat and equipment were first rate. Service was very personal.
Our guide Erick was unbelievable, on first meeting he comes across as a surfer dude. Spending a full day with him he was not only fun and entertaining but incredibly knowledgeable and involved in the wild life, river, forest and eco system. Lunch was a surprise a buffet lunch with great fresh food and even a table cloth, a great touch.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Glacier Guides was great! We didn't have to book way in advance which was such a nice change. We called on our drive to Glacier from the airport and booked the half-day (6 mile) hike and 1/2 day white water raft for our family the next morning. We were traveling with our two children (ages 11 and 8). We were the only ones on the hike portion. Our guide Hannah was great. Patient with the kids and good at pointing out and explaining things of interest to them (especially wild raspberries and huckleberries they could eat!). Had some time to relax and eat lunch (that our guide had made/packed for us) at the river edge while we waited for our boat to arrive for the rafting. Everything was very well-organized from start to finish. Can't go wrong with Glacier Guides!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

On a recent RV trip through Glacier National Park, we called and signed up to do the half-day white water rafting trip on a whim. My husband had seen their brochure at the KOA we were staying at and called. We had 45 minutes to change our clothes into something we didn't mind getting wet and get there. Fortunately, West Glacier is VERY small, and Montana Guides was literally just around the bend on the highway. The folks there were absolutely fabulous from start to finish. We drove past the entrance because, although there is plenty of parking, it specifically said, "No RV's or trailers". There really wasn't anywhere to pull off and park along the adjacent road, so I called the front desk and explained that we had just called to sign up for a rafting trip and that we were outside, but that we were traveling in a 32 ft RV. The gal came right outside, and once we had found a place to turn around and came back into view, she directed us to park right on the lawn. We filled out our waivers and were directed outside to get fitted with life jackets and river shoes. The shoes are optional, but I highly recommend them. Your shoes will definitely get drenched (you wade out into your raft to start), and these shoes are neoprene with great traction, so they keep your feet warm and increase the likelihood that you stay in the boat. The guides are very professional, and personally make sure your jacket is fitted properly. This is very important since, if you fall out of the boat, they pull you back in by the shoulders of your life jacket. To start the trip, you climb onto their big blue school bus, and as you travel to the entry point for the Middle Fork of the Flathead River, they pass out some safety information and go over the basic rules. The guides are extremely friendly, funny, entertaining, and professional in every way. I have to admit, after reading the safety information and hearing what they had to say, I was a little nervous. I was scared for me and for my kids, but on we went. Our guide was Jeff. He was simply fantastic. It was great chatting with him between the rapids and hearing a bit about his life. I had complete confidence in him as he guided us through the rapids. There were 11 named rapids, plus a few other small ones that he let my littlest one name for our trip. It was soooo much fun! I nearly got thrown out of the boat on Bone Crusher, but by some miracle, and with the help of their river shoes with my foot tucked as far under the roll (inflated seat in front of you) as I could get it, I managed to stay in. That was the only close call, but there was plenty of excitement and fun hard work getting through the rapids. Because I am a nervous mom, I had my six year old sit in the bottom of the boat and hold onto the center line with both hands as we went through the rapids. He was nervous before we started, but he LOVED it. He wanted to go again. My 10 year old daughter was a working member of the boat and did great. They have folks standing on the river edge taking photos of the rafts as you go through Bone Crusher. You look through them on a large screen when you are finished and back at the facilities. You can buy one for $13, three shots for $30, or the whole CD (tons of pics) for $49. We bought the CD, since there were so many great shots and it was an experience of a lifetime so we wanted to remember it. Plus, I am a photography fanatic and take my camera everywhere, but I obviously couldn't take the camera with me. We also bought T-shirts for the kids, and with a tip for our fabulous guide, the whole adventure cost a few hundred dollars, but it was the best money we spent on our trip. We had many great adventures on this trip, but when all was said and done, everyone's favorite thing was white water rafting with Montana Guides. There are other rafting companies in town, but I can't imagine they could be any better. Pick Montana Guides and Rafting Company and get ready for the experience of a lifetime. Go for it!

1  Thank Noinod5
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Great rafting trip and good value. Our guide Peter was awesome. Do the "thrillseekers" ride...only four in smaller raft with guide.