“Convenient... high quality... authentic restoration with modern comforts” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Belton Chalet

Belton Chalet
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in West Glacier
Bucks County, PA
“Convenient... high quality... authentic restoration with modern comforts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2010

Conveniently located 25 minutes from the airport at Kalispell at the West Glacier gateway. Despite a late arrival, desk clerk was ready and waiting for us. Rooms are authentic 1910 with carefully modernized bathrooms. Beds and linens high quality and comfortable. Grounds are landscaped attractively. West Glacier train station is across the street and trains pass by on their way over the continental divide at nearby Marias Pass... fun to watch from the comfortable balconies. Coffee, tea, hot cider and hot chocolate free in the morning. Restaurant on site offers a wide selection of good food. The staff was delightful... entertained our 10 year old daughter with ghost stories!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Mansfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2010

We stayed at the Belton Chalet for 1 night last week. What a really well done renovation to this historic building. The rooms are clean and small but charming. The bed was comfortable and the shower had good water pressure. The sink was located in the room proper but that worked perfectly for two people. We had a small balcony which looked toward West Glacier. We also ate at the restaurant on the property and had a delicious meal of elk and filet kabobs over Gorgonzola mashed potatoes! Yum! The chalet grounds are really nicely landscaped with perennials. The staff was very friendly. One caveat, the hotel is across from the rail line and trains do run all day and night. It didn't bother us as it added to the charm of the hotel. I would certainly stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to others.

Melbourne, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2010

We just got back from a Heritage Tour sponsored by the Belton Chalet, and we were very pleased. We stayed 3 nights, and the room was very clean, the bed very comfortable, and the furnishings were very authentic and charming. The staff couldn't have been nicer. The location is the best, just seconds from the entrance to Glacier Nat Park. My sister was visited by the resident friendly ghost while we were there, too, no extra charge! The trains at night do make alot of noise, so expect that. The walls are thin, so expect that, too. This chalet is over 100 years old, so if you come with the wrong attitude or expectations, you will be unhappy, and make everyone else unhappy as well, so keep that in mind. A great breakfast can be found 2 buildings over - huckleberry pancakes, yum! The tap room had less expensive food, excellent beers, fun people. Can't wait to return!

houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2010

I thought the chalet was beautiful. However, you must understand how close the railroad tracks are and that the trains truly run all night (no horns fortunately). We had a balcony room on the RR side (and the road). Didn't get much sleep the first night, but we wore earplugs the next 2 nights and did better. The staff is so helpful, but there is no wi-fi. Also, currently only verizon phones work in west glacier. We have iphones and had no service at all.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Staunton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2010

People are different and either they love or hate the Belton. I love it. Why? I love the feeling of going back in time to the 1920s era. I love the CLEAN and crisp rooms. Of course there are no closets----the hooks on the wall to hang your clothes are the way it used to be done! Everything is authentic. I felt like a little girl playing "old days". Charming, charming charming. Personally, I did not hear any noise from my corner room #28 BUT I do carry a white noise machine with me when I travel and feel like all travelers would benefit from having one of these little things! Additionally, I LOVE trains & that was one of the reasons I love the Belton. They are much louder if you stay in one of the two cottages vs. the chalet building, but I like the cottages best. Sitting on the deck outside the tap room/restaurant is so wonderful--what atmosphere--what fun people-watching--what gorgeous hanging baskets of flowers! There is a tradition of the wait staff waving to Amtrak when it comes in to the historic depot across the road every evening, and that is fun also. Everything around here is historic for heaven's sake--you either love that or you don't. I loved the balcony-sitting outside room 28 and it was a HUGE area that we had with lovely rocking chairs. I received a basket of little wines as a returning guest---what a perk! I really do wish the room prices were about $30 lower though during the summer months--especially the cottages which are $325 a night and that really is over-priced (in my opinion). I am coming back next summer, and if the cost was just a bit lower, I would stay extra nights. The food in the tap room was delicious and organic--locally grown. Our waitress, Mary, was wonderful and did not rush us as we lingered over drinks, dinner and dessert. The tap room manager was shockingly rude, at one point making a comment near our table "Come on guys! People are waiting for tables!" but when I sent off an e-mail regarding this to the Belton's manager, Christie, I received a concerned, kind, attentive reply. I love the Belton so please take any negative reviews in the context of the kind of experience you and yours enjoy. There's no place like the Belton so go there and play "the old days"!!!

St. Paul
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

The Belton Chalet has its charm, some architectural interest, and an interesting place in history, but I would think long and hard before staying there. During our three-day stay, management seemed decidedly motorcycle un-friendly, asking us to park our BMW in the woods so that fewer guests would have to park their cars in the over-flow lot down a steep hill; the restaurant’s offering was gloriously pretentious (but not particularly appetizing) and the service was abysmal; and we woke one day to find the entire place was without running water as a result of a storm the previous evening. The active railroad line located about 500 feet from the Chalet, together with the very busy Highway 2, made for some incredibly noisy nights. I called the numerous shortcomings to the attention of the owner, but he wasn’t fazed (I think he’d heard it all many time before) and acted as if we should feel privileged to stay in his establishment. There are many cheaper and far better places to stay in the area, so make sure to check them out before making the same mistake I did.

1 Thank Schnabeltier2
Grafton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

We had a wonderful stay at the Belton. This was a great location and a fun historic experience and included a great restaurant. We stayed for three nights and were never sorry. The location is terrific right in West Glacier.

Our experience was very positive. The staff were friendly and went above and beyond for us. One receptionist even let me use her mobile when I could not get phone service! The same receptionist put coffee on an hour early so we could leave at 5am to do the going to the sun road early to see the sun rise and beat the crowds. Another staff person moved her car so we could have her parking space!

However, this hotel might not be for everyone. The rooms are historic meaning that you get an idea of what it was like to stay at the park 100 years ago (this was the original park office). It is not particularly quiet. For example, the floors are wooden and squeeky but also very beautiful. The trains run all night, so either bring ear plugs or get some from the front desk (complimentary). The decor is spartan but wonderful and rich with history. That is why we stayed....we wanted that experience. It reminded us of a number of places we stayed in Germany and Austria. We loved sitting on the balcony and looking at the mountains but we could also hear the noise from the restaurant.

The restaurant was excellent and a local favorite. One tour guide we worke with told everyone that it was her favorite place to eat in West Glacier. They have MANY gluten free options that are listed right on the menu! The cherry martinis are our of this world. I would higly recommend eatting at the Belton.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Glacier
#1 of 3 in Hungry Horse
Meadow Lake Resort
Meadow Lake Resort
#1 of 4 in Columbia Falls

Been to Belton Chalet? Share your experiences!