“It's like being with Family”
Review of The Great Bear Inn

The Great Bear Inn
Collinsville, Illinois
“It's like being with Family”
Reviewed 19 December 2012

We have been to the Great Bear Inn for the 3 straight year in a row. It has officially become our Anniversary place. Susan the owner and Ryan her son and chef are some of the most warm and caring people I have meet. The hospitality is geniune. Susan is so full of life and great stories. It is set in an awesome spot, minutes from the Glacier. So your day is filled with unbelievable sights and your evenings with an awesome dinner and great stories. I love the dinner table sitting around with the entire group getting to know each other. After dinner and drinks you retire to an amazing room with the most comfortable beds I've ever stayed in away from home. The sheets have the most amazing smell. You are treated like a movie star. Thanks to Susan and Ryan I always know my vacation will be a success. See ya next year same time same place.

Room Tip: If you want a fire place stay in the Grande there are 2 on the bottom completely private. Any of th...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Collinsville, Illinois
Reviewed 19 December 2012

This was our 3rd year going to The Great Bear Inn, and I can assure you it won't be our last! To say I love this place would be an understatement. The scenic views are breathtaking, just minutes from Glacier National Park. The hospitality is amazing, they always make us feel so welcome and they are so friendly. Not to mention the dinner service, the food is always to die for. They never cease to amaze me with the wonderful food, and I am a very picky eater and they always go above and beyond to accommodate me. We always meet the most interesting people when we are staying there, but most of all we love the owner, Susan and her family! Even all of her babies running amuck, LOL! Stay here once and you'll never want to leave!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I booked a room here while traveling alone at Glacier National Park. I booked specifically for the advertised gourmet family-style dinner, as I was a single woman traveling alone and I did not want to have to go out for dinner alone, in the dark, in a remote area. On my way down from Glacier my phone rang. It was the owner telling me that I was the only guest, and that "it would be crazy" to serve only me, and that they were canceling dinner. She said I could find something to eat about a half hour away! I said that I could and would not do that, cancelled my reservation, and drove into Whitefish to find some place to sleep. The Owner has REFUSED to refund my pre-paid reservation! DO NOT BOOK HERE unless you want to take the chance of being left high and dry.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank SoloLady222
Thegreatbearinn, Owner at The Great Bear Inn, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
This woman's account of what happened is not only inaccurate but untrue. We left her a voicemail that morning when our only other guests informed us they would be dining with friends that evening. My voicemail included that information as well as letting her know we apologized for it and that we would not only be refunding her dinner value but were upgrading her to a Grand Room. We also reminded her that this option was part of her signed agreement when making her reservation. She picked up her voicemail after 4:00 p.m. after hiking in the park alone all day. Her four phone calls to me in rapid succession were very hostile. We informed her that there were four restaurants within ten minutes of us. Personally, I would be much more afraid of hiking alone in Glacier Park than I would be of dining alone. I am confident that our review history speaks for itself. Read the reservation policy before making a reservation.
Ellsworth, Maine
Reviewed 23 November 2012

I stayed here for a week in October. I have been planning my wedding via internet and phone, with the owner Susan and her son Ryan, for this upcoming winter, and so I took the opportunity to stay at the Inn for a week and get familiar with the area and look for services. The food was outstanding, the accommodations were top notch. The company was excellent. The views from the front of the building are spectacular. The Inn is off the beaten path, which is just what my fiance and I were looking for. After going through reviews, sending emails back and forth with various other hotels and inns, and then visiting some of the others, I can say that we made the right choice. If you are looking for a quiet setting that's really like getting away from it all, but still close enough to a small city to get whatever supplies you need, this is a perfect spot. I can't say enough good things about Great Bear and will probably have to come back and edit this review to add other impressions as this is my first Tripadvisor review.

Room Tip: The suites are really comfortable and private, each with its own gas fireplace. The bathrooms in al...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank 567AdamD
Corte Madera, California
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Everything about the Great Bear Inn is awesome - from it's great location (only 10 minutes from the West entrance to Glacier National Park), to the fabulous meals, service, and great room. Susan is indeed a superb hostess, and was exceptionally helpful in educating us on the ins and outs of Glacier NP, as well as printing out driving directions for us for various legs of our trip. The meals that Ryan prepared were WONDERFUL, and I would highly recommend booking your room WITH the dinner, as his culinary expertise is not to be missed! Very innovative and delicious cuisine! Our room was large, nicely decorated and very comfortable. Can't say enough about The Great Bear Inn, and hope to return!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Sussex, Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We were intrigued with the bed & dinner concept so we booked the last 2 nights of our stay in the GNP area at the Great Bear Inn (GBI). If your idea of a great vacation is to spend a day hiking in the mountains then end it with a professionally prepared 4-course meal, this is the place for you.

Susan is a very gracious hostess & made us feel right at home when we checked in. The suite was very spacious & the bathroom was stocked with every imaginable amenity. After a long day of hiking it was wonderful to go back to the GBI, clean up & enjoy a drink on the deck. We were welcomed in a sitting area off the kitchen to chat with Ryan (head chef) while he prepared fabulous, tasty meals. His meals were by far the best we had in the GNP area. The communal seating for meals was a great way to meet other guests & share experiences. Each night ended with drinks & conversation with other guests on the deck to enjoy the beautiful scenery. We are not big breakfast people so coffee, tea, fruit, juice, yogurt, cereal & a wide variety of bread products was plenty to start the day.

We can think of a couple areas of improvement. First, there is no sign on the main road to find the place. The GPS had us turn off on the wrong road. Second, we weren't asked about any food allergies. Understandably there is only 1 option for meals so if you have picky eaters or food allergies, I suggest working with Susan before arriving. We are dog lovers but for those that are not, either make that known to Susan or consider staying someplace else.

Sadly, we didn't get to properly thank Susan & Ryan for a great stay when we left. We loved the GBI & are planning our next trip to the GNP area so we can stay here again!

Room Tip: Suite on the main floor was spacious & had access to the deck. Best of all, no stairs to drag l...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jcaeiouy
Hamburg, New York
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed 3 nights in mid September, Got there after dark, so bit hard to find. Staff was very friendly. Opted out of the nightly dinners, but I heard from other guests the food was very good. Had the Trail of Cedars Room. Nice sized room. No real problems, just a few pine bugs found daily roaming our walls & bed.
Breakfast was good, lots of different breads & bagles. Nice muffins too, with choices of fruit , yogart and cereals.
Would just like to suggest a small desk or table in room. I had a laptop and wife had her makeup light . There was no real desk or space besides bed to set these things on. Also the bath sink vanity area was a bit small, no real usable space. Could use a few hooks and shelves to accomadate toiletries.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
#4 of 6 in West Glacier
Great Northern Resort
Great Northern Resort
#2 of 13 in West Glacier

Been to The Great Bear Inn? Share your experiences!