We spent 5 nights at the Great Bear Inn while we were hiking/biking in Glacier NP. Mary, the owner was very open and made us feel right at home - so much so that our room wan't ready when we arrived at 4:30pm the day of our reservation. Dinner is included in the room rate, unless you specifically ask not to have it. Since we knew we would be arriving later in the day, we went ahead and had dinner which is supposed to be served around 7:30. The food was very good, but it was also very late by the time dinner was over. Vacations for us are about getting up and out and enjoying the area we are exploring, so we prefer not to eat so late. Anyway, the atmosphere is very nice with a good deck out front and most of the people are friendly and it is good to share experiences about hikes and other activities. There is no daily maid service, but we were told if we wanted our room made up or clean towels to leave the tag on the door. So after a couple of days we did this.....the sign was on for 10 hours while we were away and no one touched our room....it was right across from the laundry room, so it would seem hard to miss it. Anyway, we went ahead and found our own clean towels. About 3 days in, Mary noted that there were bugs coming this time of year and we might see them in the cabin and there was nothing she could do about it. Well we ended up killing an average of 15 each day in our room when we arrived back to the cabin. Not a very pleasant experience to be swatting big (about 2 inches long) bugs each evening. They were in the windows, bedding, sink area, etc. Sorry it was just Yuck! Another issue we encountered was although this was classified as a bed and breakfast, no one was up in the morning. The coffee making was given to a timer which didn't go off the last 3 mornings we were there. My husband was the earliest riser and ended up ensuring we along with the other guests would have coffee in the morning. Although there was a coffee maker in our room, we had run out of the individual coffee packs after the first day. We, along with others made sure the staff knew about this but it didn't seem to change anything. Breakfast is very limited It was very nice to have laundry facilities available so we didn't have to pack as many clothes.
So overall the cabin is lovely and a good place to relax and a good alternative to the "inside the park" experiences, but don;t expect first class service when it comes to your room, supplies or breakfast.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Great Bear Inn proudly provides deluxe lodging accommodations in a spectacular setting, surrounded by the grandeur of Glacier National Park. Choose from deluxe rooms in the main lodge or comfortable cabin accommodation on our property. The unspoiled beauty of Montana awaits you just outside our magnificent Inn. Glacier National Park is less than ten minutes away. Hiking, white water rafting, fishing, hunting (seasonal), and horseback riding - the recreation possibilities offered by Northwest Montana are endless and the beauty is unlike anything found anywhere. The Inn is tastefully decorated in a style consistent with our location at the doorstep of Glacier National Park. An Oversized Continental is provided each morning. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Ebookers and Booking.com so you can book your The Great Bear Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Great Bear Hotel West Glacier
- The Great Bear Inn West Glacier, Montana