“Amazing Alaska Trip”

Glacier Bay Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Gustavus
“Amazing Alaska Trip”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This was our first trip to Alaska and it turned out to be the most spectacular journey. We had a wonderful time at Gustavus. We enjoy every minute when we stayed at the Glacier Bay Country Inn.
We read many good reviews about the Glacier Bay Country Inn before booking our trip, and they were right. The cabins are clean and comfortable and the service is extraordinary. The staff treated us like family. We had an incredible fishing trip with Captain Wes. Fishing inside the bay area turned out to be prefect for the family with calm water and gorgeous scenery. We also were able to see sea otters, sea lions, humpback whales, and orcas! It was unbelievable! Thanks to Captain Wes, we had a lot of fun. We enjoyed the late afternoon biking in town; taking pictures of the incredible scenery; visiting the husky ranch; and had a great time with the local residents. The food there is fresh and delicious. We enjoyed top notch dishes prepared by Chef Jon. The Glacier Bay cruise is also a must for anyone visiting Alaska. We saw a brown bear, eagles, various birds and a lot of mountain goats. The glaciers are magnificent! It was a once in a life-time experience. We highly recommend Glacier Bay Country Inn. We would love to visit again.

Room Tip: The cabins are good for the family.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kenny L

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We took our two boys to Glacier Bay Country Inn for a 7 day adventure and came home with unforgettable memories, lots of halibut and a few extra pounds thanks to Chef John's talent in the kitchen. We enjoyed every minute of this trip! Despite the remote location, we had every convenience available to us. We fished, whale watched, ate s'mores by the fire, kayaked, hiked, read, skipped rocks, rode bikes, enjoyed the rec room and ate like kings. The cabins are clean, the grounds are well cared for and the owners made sure that the details were taken care of so we could truly enjoy our vacation. We'll be back!

2 Thank Jenn D
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed 5 nights in late June- Found it via internet and trip advisor reviews and were absolutely pleased with everything. Wes, our fishing captain was fantastic and worked hard to make sure we caught fish and taught us a lot of technique while having fun. The cabins are private and very comfortable. Chef John was great- Excellent food , even got a few of his halibut recipies to take home! Cant say enough good things about all the staff- they go out of their way to accommodate any requests, drive you into town etc. Will definitely stay there again.

5 Thank Teri S
Gilbert, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Our stay at Glacier Bay was one of our stand-out family vacations. I will list the highlights:
1) Remote Location. Alaska is ah-mazing! We saw wild animals we've never seen before, while hardly seeing any people. If you want a relaxing experience that will connect you to nature, this is your place. With 5 cabins in a clearing, it is perfect to come with a group of friends or family members, while still giving you space (we went with my sister). You eat your meals together at the lodge and can play in the common areas, but escape to your own cabin when you need space or rest. I can't think of a better place to have a family reunion (with about 5 families).

2) The FOOD. You don't need to worry about a single meal, as Chef John takes care of all that. His delicious cooking is one of my favorite memories of the trip and I wished I could bring him home with me (but my waistline is happy that I couldn't).

3) Halibut fishing. My husband and son loved fishing and I love having a freezer full of their wild-caught fish -- cleaned, individually wrapped, and packaged by Glacier Bay Inn staff.

4) While they fished, my daughter and I went whale-watching and saw some sea life (I personally think you only need to do one or the other since you see whales while fishing).

5) Bike rides through the woods. The Inn provides bikes for use at your leisure and it was so peaceful to ride around the woods and explore. We went down to the river, or wherever our hearts desired. The random walks, rides, and hikes we took (sometimes at 10 pm when it's still light!) are some of my favorite memories.

6) My kids were very entertained by the Inn's rec room (theater room, pool table, basketball arcade, kid toys). Between the rec room and the clearing where they wore themselves out playing soccer (balls provided by the Inn), my kids were very content.

7) Make sure you visit Glacier Bay National park while you are there. We took the kids on hikes there and watched interesting videos. It is breathtaking, and a nice diversion. We even kayaked there.

7) The chartered flight back to Juneau was so thrilling, and an experience all on its own. The Inn suggested we leave early so we could have time before our flight home to visit the easily-accessible glacier in Juneau. Best suggestion ever! We hiked the mile down to the glacier and waterfall and got some awesome pictures. My sister even drove by the governor's mansion on her way back to the airport.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Tiffani N
Riverside, California
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Last year I came to the Glacier Bay Country Inn as a guys trip. I had the time of my life and decided I needed to bring my wife and two daughter back so they could experience it. The choice to stay was easy as everything was perfect last time. We had an absolute blast. The fishing was once again amazing. The food was as good as it gets. The hot tub feels perfect after a long day of fishing. Kayaking with my wife on her birthday was a special experience and one we will never forget. The serenity and beauty of this part of the world is unmatched from anywhere else I have been. The staff once again went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. I have travelled quite a bit and Glacier Bay Country Inn has mastered the business of hospitality and adventure. We will be back again.

San Tan Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We've been to Hawaii, all over the US, Canada, Mexico and enjoyed a lot of places. But we've never been as amazed at what we saw in Alaska. Glacier Bay Country Inn was perfect. The food was so great I gained at least 5 lbs. The cabin we stayed in was excellent too. We took a fishing trip and caught Halibut and King Salmon. We got to see dozens of Humpback whales up close along with porpoises, dolphins, sea lions, seals, and sea otters. Way better than Sea World! We had the best trip of our lives here and can't wait to go back and enjoy it again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SteveAmyH
Queen Creek, Arizona
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My wife and I and 4 of our children just got home from a nine day adventure at the Glacier Bay Country Inn. We go on a lot of family vacations from San Diego to the beautiful mountains of Colorado, but this trip completely blew all other trips out of the water... by far!! We caught incredible, huge halibut in Glacier Bay, and hiked to amazing water falls and a plane crash site through the most breath-taking forest on earth. We saw everything from whales and porpoises, to porcupines, moose and bears. We kayaked in Bartlett cove with sea lions, otters, and star fish. Our cabin was clean, quiet, and cozy and our king size bed was comfortable. The log-style bunk beds were perfect for the kids. The chef and his food were incredible from the fresh halibut to the prime rib and then the most amazing deserts. (My favorite was the French Vanilla Creme Brulee) The staff was incredibly friendly, helpful, professional, and kind. We had a blast at night in the recreation room playing ping pong, pool and arcade games, and we watched a couple movies late at night in the amazing theater room. After a long day of fishing and adventure, we soaked in the Hot tub. Honestly, these words and the pictures just don't do it justice. It was absolutely worth every penny, and much more.

Room Tip: I think the cabins are more quiet, and worth the extra few dollars!
2 Thank Tyler R