“We felt at home in Alaska!”

Glacier Bay Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Gustavus
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

The owner, management and staff at Glacier Bay Country Inn made us feel at home and like family. They made sure we were comfortable and met our every need. The lodge is rustic, but charming with it's homey decor. We were able to select the activities we wanted to do and the staff took it from there. We were picked up at the Gustavus Airport and every day, the staff made sure we made every boat departure well on time and picked us up when we docked back in the harbor. Our fishing captains worked hard to see that we had a great fishing experience. (We have 50 pounds of halibut in our freezer!) We enjoyed seeing numerous whales on the whale tour and were delighted in the calving of glaciers and beautiful sights on the Glacier Bay tour. We spent our last day hiking in the Tongass Forest and did some fly fishing. Chef Jon made sure we were well fed. My husband jokes that my girlfriends probably thought he was dragging me off to some fish camp or lodge to eat beans and hot dogs when in reality we had wonderful accommodations and enjoyed fine dining each evening. Jim, D'Lynn, Kimber, Nelson, Taylor, Heidi, Captains Wes and John, and Chef Jon, the O'Briants from Oklahoma thank you for making us feel welcome and for helping us truly experience Alaska. We enjoyed our stay with you!

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Six family members (3 couples) came to Gustavus to do some Halibut and Salmon fishing. We wanted a little of everything for everybody - beautiful scenery, lots of fish, adventure and awesome accomodations. The Country Inn did not disappoint! From the Hello to the farewell, the staff was so friendly, interested in your day, and accomodating. (Special acknowledgment to Delynn for keeping track of us!). Whatever you needed, they would make it happen or get it for you. They made you feel like a good friend. Jim arranged all our activities - 4 days of salt and fresh water fishing (captains,Wes,Steve and Bud who are awesome!), kayaking, glacier tour. Along the way we saw breaching humpbacks, sea lions, sea otters, porpoise, calving glaciers, puffins,, mountain goats, bears, moose. The forests all around the Inn and area are moss covered as they are in the Tongas rainforest area. Glacier Bay National Park is only 5 miles away. In addition to all the outdoor activities, the Inn has an awesome covered outdoor living space with a firepit and hottub. Theres a new Rec room with pool table, pingpong table and a huge theater room. Theres a quaint library/reading/game room and an observation room on a 3rd floor complete with telescope. We stayed in the lodge rooms which were filled with antique furnishings. The Inn itself is cozy and rustic with huge timber accents. We also used the 6 bikes to ride the mile into town to go to the coffee shop, gallery and sightsee. With Chef John in the kitchen you will not go hungry! Three huge meals a day. Big bag lunches with freshly made bread to take along on your adventures and a dinner bell that rings at 6:30. Always an inventive menu with a daily seafood and meat offering and dessert! With all this action, we had all we wanted. All six of us were totally satisfied, which can be hard to do! We want to go back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Robin L
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This was our first trip to Alaska and it turned out to be the most spectacular journey. We had a wonderful time at Gustavus. We enjoy every minute when we stayed at the Glacier Bay Country Inn.
We read many good reviews about the Glacier Bay Country Inn before booking our trip, and they were right. The cabins are clean and comfortable and the service is extraordinary. The staff treated us like family. We had an incredible fishing trip with Captain Wes. Fishing inside the bay area turned out to be prefect for the family with calm water and gorgeous scenery. We also were able to see sea otters, sea lions, humpback whales, and orcas! It was unbelievable! Thanks to Captain Wes, we had a lot of fun. We enjoyed the late afternoon biking in town; taking pictures of the incredible scenery; visiting the husky ranch; and had a great time with the local residents. The food there is fresh and delicious. We enjoyed top notch dishes prepared by Chef Jon. The Glacier Bay cruise is also a must for anyone visiting Alaska. We saw a brown bear, eagles, various birds and a lot of mountain goats. The glaciers are magnificent! It was a once in a life-time experience. We highly recommend Glacier Bay Country Inn. We would love to visit again.

Room Tip: The cabins are good for the family.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kenny L
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We took our two boys to Glacier Bay Country Inn for a 7 day adventure and came home with unforgettable memories, lots of halibut and a few extra pounds thanks to Chef John's talent in the kitchen. We enjoyed every minute of this trip! Despite the remote location, we had every convenience available to us. We fished, whale watched, ate s'mores by the fire, kayaked, hiked, read, skipped rocks, rode bikes, enjoyed the rec room and ate like kings. The cabins are clean, the grounds are well cared for and the owners made sure that the details were taken care of so we could truly enjoy our vacation. We'll be back!

2  Thank Jenn D
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed 5 nights in late June- Found it via internet and trip advisor reviews and were absolutely pleased with everything. Wes, our fishing captain was fantastic and worked hard to make sure we caught fish and taught us a lot of technique while having fun. The cabins are private and very comfortable. Chef John was great- Excellent food , even got a few of his halibut recipies to take home! Cant say enough good things about all the staff- they go out of their way to accommodate any requests, drive you into town etc. Will definitely stay there again.

5  Thank Teri S
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Our stay at Glacier Bay was one of our stand-out family vacations. I will list the highlights:
1) Remote Location. Alaska is ah-mazing! We saw wild animals we've never seen before, while hardly seeing any people. If you want a relaxing experience that will connect you to nature, this is your place. With 5 cabins in a clearing, it is perfect to come with a group of friends or family members, while still giving you space (we went with my sister). You eat your meals together at the lodge and can play in the common areas, but escape to your own cabin when you need space or rest. I can't think of a better place to have a family reunion (with about 5 families).

2) The FOOD. You don't need to worry about a single meal, as Chef John takes care of all that. His delicious cooking is one of my favorite memories of the trip and I wished I could bring him home with me (but my waistline is happy that I couldn't).

3) Halibut fishing. My husband and son loved fishing and I love having a freezer full of their wild-caught fish -- cleaned, individually wrapped, and packaged by Glacier Bay Inn staff.

4) While they fished, my daughter and I went whale-watching and saw some sea life (I personally think you only need to do one or the other since you see whales while fishing).

5) Bike rides through the woods. The Inn provides bikes for use at your leisure and it was so peaceful to ride around the woods and explore. We went down to the river, or wherever our hearts desired. The random walks, rides, and hikes we took (sometimes at 10 pm when it's still light!) are some of my favorite memories.

6) My kids were very entertained by the Inn's rec room (theater room, pool table, basketball arcade, kid toys). Between the rec room and the clearing where they wore themselves out playing soccer (balls provided by the Inn), my kids were very content.

7) Make sure you visit Glacier Bay National park while you are there. We took the kids on hikes there and watched interesting videos. It is breathtaking, and a nice diversion. We even kayaked there.

7) The chartered flight back to Juneau was so thrilling, and an experience all on its own. The Inn suggested we leave early so we could have time before our flight home to visit the easily-accessible glacier in Juneau. Best suggestion ever! We hiked the mile down to the glacier and waterfall and got some awesome pictures. My sister even drove by the governor's mansion on her way back to the airport.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Tiffani N
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Last year I came to the Glacier Bay Country Inn as a guys trip. I had the time of my life and decided I needed to bring my wife and two daughter back so they could experience it. The choice to stay was easy as everything was perfect last time. We had an absolute blast. The fishing was once again amazing. The food was as good as it gets. The hot tub feels perfect after a long day of fishing. Kayaking with my wife on her birthday was a special experience and one we will never forget. The serenity and beauty of this part of the world is unmatched from anywhere else I have been. The staff once again went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. I have travelled quite a bit and Glacier Bay Country Inn has mastered the business of hospitality and adventure. We will be back again.