“BBQ King Salmon to die for...”

Gustavus Inn at Glacier Bay
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Gustavus
Price range: US$50 - US$50
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: I am the owner of Gustavus Inn. Our restaurant was named "America's Classic 2010" by the James Beard Foundation. Although we are a hotel, I thought we should appear in the Gustavus, Alaska restaurant listings. We serve dinner nightly to our hotel guests and if we have room, a few extras. Our menus rotate during the week depending on guest preferences. There is only one entree, always seafood and garden bounty. Nightly we feature a foraged wild edible on the bar or table. Meat is served only to accommodate house guests by prior order. Since we prepare everything from scratch onsite, we can happily accommodate dietary restriction with advance notice. My suggestion for dining at the Gustavus Inn is to stay here for guaranteed reservations in the dining room.
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Well, the salmon did anyway.... Full disclosure, I only live five miles away from the Gustavus Inn in my little town of 400 and do know the owners - along with everyone else in town. But though the Inn is located in my hometown and though I've eaten there many times (even stayed there for our wedding) I still find 'eating out' there not only an entertaining night dining family style with folks from all over the world (and giving them a sample of "'the locals"), I always find a delicious meal made from our local fare that's as wonderful as the last one I've enjoyed. I've had all their dishes over the last 25 years and I can attest that the quality never waivers - and I mean never waivers. My favorite is the BBQ King Salmon - simple and delicious, served with local garden fare and local side dishes. Yum! Can't wait for the season to start! And no, I don't think Dave will give me a free meal for a good review. He's earned it, not me.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Quality food served by nice people in a bucolic setting. We had drinks on the porch while our dinner was being prepared. What's not to like?

Reviewed 21 December 2013

You won't find better food at another restaurant in SE Alaska. The food served by the Inn is fresh locally sourced delicious and healthy, unless you own a cabin and boat in Gustavus you won't better food anywhere else in the area. Family style atmosphere with fresh beer brewed right in SE Alaska, the Inn is in a class of its own.

Rooms are old fashioned, but if you have a roof over your head in Gustavus you have much to be thankful for. This small town is on the edge of the world so to speak, with the Glacier Bay National Park Boundary just a few miles behind the back door. Their garden alone is worth stopping by to see, on a good year its variety is very impressive considering the northern 58 degree latitude.

These people put a level of care and attention into sourcing and serving the best food Alaska has to offer that is simply not typically found in today's modern world of commercial food production. Their unique location and proximity to Fresh Alaska Sea food sets them apart, and you will taste and appreciate that difference.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Good food--introduced to "beach asparagus" and kelp pickles for the first time along with their signature dish, Halibut Caddy Gantry. The company was interesting too--a diverse group of people around the table, sharing the food "family-style". We did feel a little rushed, i.e. as soon as we finished the main course the dishes were whisked away and the dessert choices were offered.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

This inn and restaurant is a Gustavus legacy - and after having dinner there I can see why! There is one dinner sitting per night, and everyone is seated at one of four tables where the food is served family style. The food was limitless and unbelievably fresh and delicious. We had bbq king salmon (white and red), fresh greens salad, carrots, snow peas, potatoes, homemade sourdough bread and this incredible raspberry vanilla cake for dessert. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

The only upgrade I'd note is that I would have liked the proprietors to have connected with us a bit more -- I felt that we were just one of a large group, and it would have been nice to have conversed with the staff a little.