We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gustavus
Blue Heron Bed and Breakfast, Cabins and Guesthouse at Glacier Bay Gustavus
Ranked #3 of 9 Gustavus B&B and Inns
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
“Sensitive to her guests' needs”
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Deb is definitely commetted to her guests enjoying themselves. In addition to what other reviewers have written, I would like to add that she made dinner reservations for me and had extremely warm coats and accessories available for my day trips around Glacier Bay and whale watching exercions. In short, I just had a great time there getting to know the area, the town, and Deb as well!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Jan33694

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We stayed at the Blue Heron for one night upon our arrival in Gustavus, prior to our kayaking trip in Glacier Bay. Deb picked us up at the airport and gave us an impromptu tour of the town as only a 38-year Gustavus local could. Our room was quiet, comfortable, nicely appointed and relaxing, and the property was in a beautiful location and thoughtfully arranged. Deb has thought of everything -- bikes and helmets available for guests' use; every kind of tea, coffee and hot chocolate waiting for you when the mood strikes; and a breakfast for which she and her team went the extra mile (made to order omelettes, fresh sweet breads, and homemade rhubarb sauce, oh my!). Not to mention, every reference book, video and map of the area one could possibly need.

Thank you for a great start to our Alaska trip, Deb. We will be back!

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank MollyStein
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 August 2012

My Husband and I had an amazing stay at the Blue Heron. Deb, the hostess ROCKS! She made us feel so welcome and gave us awesome recommendations for dinner and lunch. We stayed in one of the cabins 5 nights total. It was awesome, we had everything we could need and more. The breakfasts were delicious!! A truly amazing Alaskan experience. We can't wait to come back with the kids!

Room Tip: love the cabins!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank deb g
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 July 2012

What a fabulous stay we had. We highly recommend the Blue Heron. The hostess is committed to her guests and their having a wonderful Alaska experience. We spent four days here and were thrilled with the lodging, location, breakfast and local flavor. This is truly a unique experience. One of the best decisions we ever made!

Room Tip: All rooms superb!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TKMcCay
Reviewed 17 July 2012 via mobile

We stayed in Blue Heron Inn for three nights and everything was perfect. Deb was so nice and her breakfast was delicious.
We would definitely go there again.

• Stayed July 2012
richmond, VA
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I do not know where to begin. Deb is the most awesome host. So sweet, so accommodating, and such an excellent cook! There are 3 places to stay at the Blue Heron: 2 absolutely beautiful cabins with stove/oven and small fridge that can sleep up to 6 people and 2 private bedrooms in a separate house. I stayed in one of the private rooms. It was so lovely with beautiful views, big windows and very comfortable. Each of the private rooms has it's own bath, TV, DVD player, binoculars etc.

I stayed 2 nights and each morning was treated to a warm delicious home cooked breakfast that was served in the beautiful sun room off the back of her private residence. This area is open to the guests at all times and it is the best place for wifi signal. It's very cozy. Her coffee was excellent and I consider myself somewhat of a coffee snob : ) She grinds her own oats for the oatmeal she serves each day and I can't tell you how yummy it was. She has the complete oatmeal fixins too. She made me a gourmet omelet the 2nd day I was there that was to die for. Fresh fruit and sweetened rhubarb from her garden. My mouth is watering as I remember how tasty this was. My only regret in staying there was that I did not get her to make me a rhubarb pie while I was there which I'm sure she would have if I would have asked.

Deb has lived in Gustavus over 30 years and is an excellent tour guide. She has all the connections for making your Alaska adventure intimate, personal and REAL. I live in Angoon, AK and have been wanting to see Gustavus for some time now. I see whales frequently so I decided to save the money and not do a whale watching trip. BIG MISTAKE! I wish I had listened to her. That is one of my main regrets that I did not get to experience that trip with her guide. My advice is listen to her for your adventures she will help to ensure you have the best experience. She also has probably over 100 heavy coats in different sizes and thickness, rubber boots galore, hats, gloves, mittens, scarves that are free for guests to borrow. Several bicycles are also available. I am a walker so I did not use them but they looked really nice.

Take the Glacier Bay Day trip tour. It's about $200 but well worth it. You get to see a lot and trip is really beautiful. The captains of these boats really go out of their way to ensure you get great pics. For example, if they see a bear or mountain goat they will almost stop the boat so everyone has ample time experience the sight and get good quality pics. They will point out sights ahead and encourage you of what to look for. They have continental breakfast in the morning, snacks throughout the day and a good lunch plus all the soda, coffee, tea, juice you want. Ask for a spicey redheaded cider or a lemon marain tea. These are drinks I designed for them while I was on the cruise.

If you want to fish, let Deb help you with this. She knows the captains and will assist you in getting the best Alaskan fishing trip you can get.

She has a vast array of DVDs to choose from for night time entertainment. There is not much to do at night in rural AK so this is a good option. If she doesn't have what you want, her place is right across the street from the town store and they have an excellent up to date collection for rent.

FOOD: Eat at the Black Dog. It is a small camper that is parked in front of the hardware store across the street from the Blue Heron. Fish tacos are really good and guacamole is AWESOME!

Fireweed Cafe: This is a quaint coffee shop/eatery but the greatest thing about this place is the gift shop. They have loads of local art work and hand crafted jewelry, Tshirts etc. If you buy suvenires please be sure they are Alaska made. It really helps support the local communities and you'll get original work. If you're not sure if it was made in AK, just ask. Merchants are very knowedgeable about the products they sell

Glacer Bay Lodge: We ate lunch here and I was NOT IMPRESSED. Food prices were average for here (I had a ribeye steak sandwich with fries $14) and the food was fair. We all ordered 1/2 and 1/2 sweet potato/regular fries and they actually sent them from the kitchen almost burnt. I felt really embarrased for their chef. I can't believe they allowed something like that to come out of their kitchen. We sent it back and requested fresh which were very good when they brought them out. Some other people that were staying at the Blue Heron ate there a couple of days before I did and their son got a mild case of food poisoning from a chicken cesar salad. Considering all I have said it does not appear that this kitchen takes much pride in what it puts on a plate.

Bear Track Inn: The atmosphere was lovely, warm and inviting. The owner seemed very sweet but the food I give 3/5 stars. My chicken was over done, it was served with the oil separating from the cream sauce and the samon chowder had almost no flavor. They will pick you up from the B&B but it will cost you $20 round trip (which is cheaper than a taxi at $30) Plan on spending about $45 for a 3 course meal. My advice and what I WISH I had done was go to the Gustavus Inn. It is within walking distance from the B&B and dinner is about $50 but from what I've heard from several people around town and read in reviews the food is divine. If you have the time, hey try both.

Just a side note: PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE REVIEWER THAT GAVE DEB A SCORE OF 1. He didn't even stay at the B&B. Deb is too gracious of a host to make any excuse for herself but I will tell you (and she would share with you as well), she had just had a VERY SIGNIFICANT loss in her life. Everything the other 13 reviewers and I have said is the absolute truth. Doug C is most likely someone who is used to having everyone jump when he says so and wrote that review because he felt he didn't get his way. After meeting Deb and getting to experience her above and beyond hospitality it really irks me that he damaged her rating by being so unfair. Try the Blue Heron and I promise you will NOT be disappointed. Have a blessed day.

Room Tip: If you're a family, definitely a cabin if your a couple or single person like me; one of the gue...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank merimedicn
Delhi
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This is what a Bed and Breakfast is supposed to be. Deb is the friendliest host you could ever have, and gave us our best stay in Alaska. We stayed in both cabins for a night, and the blue room one night, and everything was great. Comfortable beds, hundreds of DVD's to watch and relax to, dozens of bikes you can take out to explore Gustavus, fantastic breakfasts, etc etc. I recommend the cabins, especially Fireweed (full kitchen), so you can cook your own food. You get so much space in the cabins, and are well worth the extra money (plus you save a bunch by making your own food). The whole crew picked us up whenever we needed it, had tons of helpful advice, and we're really a joy to be around.
Thank you Deb!

Room Tip: Go for one of the two Cabins
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple