“Stellar!”
Review of Wahweap Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Page
Wahweap Campground
“Stellar!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

We camped here two years ago in our fifth wheel. Had such a great time and loved the views so much we came back. When I made the reservation I specifically stated we needed a double wide pad as we were renting a boat. After changing the reservation twice due to our needs we were arrived to find we had a single wide pad. The woman at the reservation desk was clearly strapped for a solution but then said she had one site but it was a back in. No problem. My husband is good at backing in our 37 foot fifth wheel. Ironically, it was the exact same site as two years ago. We know we lucked out because this was in prime tourist season. Otherwise the site offered the same great view, everything worked fine and the staff were very kind.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sue H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Czech first
Valrico, Florida
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

While the park sports cabins, RV lots, a lodge and house boats we came to tent camp. Site was somewhat difficult to use and not well prepared. Showers were located a ways away though clean bathrooms were close. The laundry facility was nice. WiFi was nonexistent and cell phone service was nearly the same. We tried the single beach area and after a long haul down to the water it was simply to dirty to swim in.

Our other surprise as we had not researched it was that the noteworthy landmarks to visit were mostly accessible only by boat. So come prepared to do boat tours or simply rent a houseboat for your stay.

The location is good in that quite a few things are within reach; Vermilion Cliffs, Grand Staircase Escalante, Bryce and Zion Canyons along with the Glen Canyon Dam.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank edge8400
Mebane, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 July 2014

First of all, this campground is in one of the most beautiful spots I have ever been. The views of the lake and surrounding canyon are unbelievable.

When we checked in, the wind was blowing so strong that we could not set our tent. We went into Page to eat. When we returned it had calmed to where we could set up. This was after dark, though.

The next day, while we were out, the wind started up again. When we returned, our tent had been collapsed by the wind, and two poles were broken. I don't know if this wind is normal there, but be advised that you may need to have a sturdy tent if you plan to tent camp. We watched others having trouble setting up and another tent collapsed also. Some tents appeared to do fine though.

We went to the store to buy ice. Very expensive. I would recommend buying items in Page if possible. The store did have a good selection, though.

Went swimming in the small beach. The beach and water both have the ubiquitous thorns, so be careful. The beach itself was nothing special, but the water was wonderful on a hot afternoon.

PROS:
1. Stunning views
2. Clean
3. Nice bathrooms
4. Location
5. Swimming beach
CONS:
1. Thorns
2. Wind
3. Expensive store

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Souderton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Camped in a 35 foot motorhome. Nice concrete pad, excellent view of the lake. Trees on site to help give some shade from the sun. Staff was friendly and helpful although the store was only open to 7:00 PM daily. My dogs had a few run ins with thorns that were blown around the site but you can't sop mother nature.
Internet was spotty and I am only able to give 4 stars as there was no cable available.

If I get back to this area, I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dan K
Reviewed 14 July 2014

On the positive side, this campground has great views of Lake Powell. Restrooms were clean. On the not-so-good side, other campers were very noisy, until about 2 am -- my experience is that this is a "party" campground, and not a campground that is quiet and respectful of other campers. Even worse than the noise were the huge thorns that I didn't see on the ground in the evening when setting up my tent -- they were everywhere and difficult to see in the sand, even in daylight. During the night the thorns punctured through the bottom of my tent and punctured my sleeping pad in several places. I slept uncomfortably with no padding. The punctures were so numerous that when I returned home, I was unable to successfully repair the pad so that it could hold air.

I feel that the campground should warn campers of the thorn hazards so that precautions can be taken to avoid damage of equipment. Next time I camp in the Lake Powell area, I will choose a more remote camping area, and I'll be prepared for nasty thorns!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank FlagAnne
Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Nothing negative to say about this campground. Restrooms are cleans, services are good and the location is very good. We only stayed one night, but we sould have stayed longer, because Page is such a beautiful place. Also, all sites are facing Lake Powell...this is why you have to camp there!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Cedar City, Utah
Reviewed 24 June 2014

In the past, we've hauled all the camping gear across the lake, which is great for a small group, but can be difficult with a lot of people. This campground was a really nice alternative. The tent areas were level and the sandy soil held tent pegs well. The pavilion and tables were clean, and electricity was nice. The restrooms were typical for a campground. The staff at the office/store were friendly and helpful. The location is near the state line and wahweap ramps, so loading boats was a snap. This campground was perfect for a weekend getaway at Lake Powell. I was surprised at how well-kept the campground was, with lots of foliage, rabbits, lizards, roadrunners, and other desert wildlife. Thororoughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AvgGuy_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Page
Best Western View of Lake Powell Hotel
Courtyard Page at Lake Powell
Days Inn & Suites Page Lake Powell
Hampton Inn & Suites Page - Lake Powell
La Quinta Inn & Suites Page at Lake Powell
Marble Canyon Lodge
Marble Canyon Lodge
#2 of 2 in Marble Canyon

Been to Wahweap Campground? Share your experiences!