“Family stay”

Super 8 Page/Lake Powell
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Page
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We got off to a bad start with this hotel, which was no fault of theirs! We had a prepaid two night reservation. We had spent the day exploring the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and stayed for dinner at the North Rim Lodge and then the sunset, so we set off fairly late. We drove from Jacob's lake down the 89A through Vermillion Cliffs and Marble Canyon, then a few miles further on at the junction to Page, we were greeted with a barrier and road closed sign with an arrow pointing in the opposite direction. There was no indication of how far we would have to drive on the diversion and our map showed the first junction being past The Gap and via Tuba City (we subsequently found out that there was a junction before this, but it would still have been a 90 mile detour). We had more than enough gas to get to Page but didn't want to risk driving on too far without knowing how far it would be. There was no mobile (cell) reception in the area so we couldn't phone the hotel and seek directions and couldn't use the sat nav function on the iphone! We knew we didn't have enough gas to go back to Jacob's Lake and via Fredonia, so we made the decision to sleep in our car at Marble Canyon! We actually rather enjoyed our night out under an amazing starry sky, although we felt a bit grubby the next morning! We were able to buy gas in Marble Canyon and retrace our steps to Jacob's Lake (where incidentally we stopped for a great breakfast), Fredonia and on to Page where we eventually arrived mid morning. Signs in Page indicated that the section of the 89A was closed out of Page beyond Horseshoe Point due to a landslip, but there was no advance warning coming from the other direction. Now, I know this isn't the hotels fault, but would it have been so difficult for them to email guests in advance and warn them of the problem? Anybody travelling this route needs to be aware of the road closure before they get to the junction. I don't know how long the road will be closed for (we travelled in June 2014). Sorry, rant over - now to review the hotel.

The welcome at reception could have been warmer. We explained that we had been due to arrive the night before but hadn't been able to get there because the road was closed. The receptionist didn't express any sympathy at all or apologise for our inconvenience, but instead took an age to find our booking then told us that we wouldn't get a refund for the previous night as we had pre-paid (I did know that and accepted that as the policy). She then went off to check if our room was ready (surely it must have been as it was presumably prepared for us the night before?) and was away for longer than I would have expected. When we checked out and I handed in the key the only acknowledgement was a "uh huh", no thank you for staying or how was your stay.

The room itself was OK for the price we paid (we booked through Expedia and paid about £65 per night, which is much cheaper than the prices quoted in dollars by other reviewers). The room was large, with comfortable beds, a seating area and fridge and coffee maker (I appreciate that American reviewers/readers will accept this as standard, but it is not usual in the UK, even in more expensive hotels). The pool area was nice and we had the pool to ourselves in the early evening. Breakfast wasn't great, but probably what should be expected for the price. We went down at about 9am and the selection was cereal and bread. The staff seemed reluctant to put out any additional items, but did eventually add pre-packed waffles. The rubbish bins were all full and guests had been piling their used dishes on top. Nobody seemed interested in emptying them while breakfast was in progress.

However, all in all, for the money we paid, it was probably good value.

Room Tip: I believe some of the rooms have recently been refurbished - request one of those.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

As soon as I walked up to the entrance, I knew I made a mistake. There was trash overflowing in all the trash cans as well as trash distributed near the exterior. Kids & pets were running unsupervised throughout the hotel, slamming doors, riding the elevator. (Don't get me wrong, I love children & we were traveling with mine - however, out of respect for all hotel-goers, I would never let my children run wild like this through a hotel.) As soon as we exited the elevator there was a huge spill and trash left on the floor near the ice-maker. You couldn't use the stairs due to a nest of bees. The noise level quite loud in the halls at night. My husband noticed that someone was sleeping outside in a boat... Maybe they weren't happy with the place either. The maid didn't make one of our beds and didn't provide us with enough towels. The breakfast was a joke. Compared to other 'continental' types - this takes the cake. This place is definitely not worth your money. We stayed there 2 nights & should've booked elsewhere, my mistake.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Amy A
Reviewed 30 June 2014

1  Thank Sarah F
Reviewed 26 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Where do I even begin to start complaining about this place. I know it is a Super 8 so I already had low expectations but the place was just depressing. The rooms were not clean. The sink in the room looked desperate for repair. The whole place smelled bad. I guess I would have been okay with it if the price was lesser. It really did not feel like value for money. The staff was not very friendly. They were not rude in any way but did not feel welcoming at all. They did have complimentary breakfast but it was so limited that we ended up getting breakfast outside anyways.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rtia
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Staff unfriendly all staff. Not knowledgeable, wouldn't listen,old and not very clean in restroom, carpets old and hall ways smell