“Lovely Night”
Review of Heston's Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
Heston's Lodge
Reviewed 10 June 2013

In late May, I solo-hiked the Border Route Trail and had the luck of doing the same route at the same time as two British girls, so my solo-hike became more of a hiking-with-British-people. They were volunteering for BRT maintenance after the hike and invited me to join them and the most exciting thing was that we got to stay at Heston's and take a lovely warm shower after five days without bathing and sleep in cozy beds. I did feel like I was cheating a bit, as my solo-hike turned into sleeping in a warm cabin with a woodstove and a full kitchen, including coffee maker. It was fantastic, and I hope to return to Heston's for more than one night.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank EmilyAlligator

Reviewed 9 June 2013

I've stayed at Heston's a number of times in recent years. I've always enjoyed my stays there. Barb & Greg have been very helpful. For instance, in 2012 I planned to so some late winter/early spring ice fishing for lake trout on Gunflint Lake, the lake on which Heston's is situated. Barb & I kept in frequent touch to monitor the ice conditions. Because of unusually warm weather that year, there was an early ice-out. Prior to the actual ice-out, Barb called to say that we'd better not drive up as we'd probably encounter conditions too warm for ice fishing. We planned accordingly and didn't make the trip. Barb was spot-on--the ice went out quite a bit earlier than usual that year. I've had many enjoyable experiences on the Gunflint Trail. I've never had a bad experience in any of the lodges there. Each resort is different and has its own unique character. I can't think of a better destination than the Gunflint Trail and wouldn't hesitate to stay at Heston's or any other resort on the Trail. I especially like Heston's Diamond Willow cabin. One of my best memories at Heston's was many years ago when several members of my extended family went blueberry picking in the woods near Heston's. Barb & Greg are excellent hosts, they treat their guests very well and they keep clean & well-maintained cabins. The setting of Heston's (close to the lake and deep in the woods) makes it unique. BTW, while staying with some friends at another resort in the middle of the Gunflint Trail, I paid a visit to Heston's, but they were not at home at the time. I think of them as friends and just wanted to say hi and also check out some possibilities for doing some fishing there this summer.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2013

If you love nature, peaceful serenity, and the north woods, you will love this resort. The log cabins are very nice and well stocked. They are surrounded by beautiful large trees on the south shore of Gunflint Lake. You can hear the loons calling and the birds singing. Barb and Greg are extremely helpful if you need them. There are multiple trails and lakes in the area to explore. Be sure to check out the Magnetic Rock Trail while you are there. I have stayed here multiple times (in summer and winter) and always look forward to the next trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Planned a multi-night trek in the area, but had to cut the trip short. No cell service in the area so I stumbled upon Heston's Lodge hoping to use their phone. Barb, Greg, and Paul were great -- even as I barged in on their mid-day tea time. They insisted I make myself at home and use the phone to make my arrangements. Barb even had a cup of hot tea waiting for me as I finished my call.

My ride wouldn't be able to make it until that evening, and I hated the idea of "wearing out my welcome", but they offered that I could hang out for the afternoon. By the time my girlfriend arrived from her long drive up from the twin cities, I convinced her we just stay a night to avoid an even longer round trip. They had a toasty fire going in Birch cabin when we came back from dinner. The cabin was great, very unique. And although the accommodations were much more than we needed for one night's stay, they insisted on providing us a discount for the stay.

Would recommend to family and friends looking to experience the real deal on the Gunflint, not only because unique feel and setting, but mostly because wonderful folks running the place. Hope to be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael D
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We have stayed here on a few occasions, and keep coming back because it is such a great place. Beautiful, traditional wood cabins set right on the edge of the lake. Wood-burning stoves. A wood-burning sauna. Oven-fired pizza made for all guests by the owner on Saturday nights, weather permitting. Gorgeous scenery, tranquility, and great people. The owner, Barb, is super friendly and does a fantastic job keeping the cabins clean and welcoming. Plus, the resort is right on brilliant ski trails and hiking trails like the Border Route Trail. We'll keep coming back for sure!

Room Tip: All the cabins are unique and have their own charm and character.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mo Q
Reviewed 26 November 2012

I have been a guest at this wonderful resort summer, fall and winter for over 25 years. You can feel the tranquility of the place hit you as you descend through the towering white pines at the end of County Road 50 going into their beautiful property. Through the years, I have grown to favor winter there with seemingly endless groomed trails right out the back door leading to breathtaking views from the South Rim of Gunflint Lake or Lonely Lake. I prefer the quiet here over Gunflint Lodge, but do enjoy the occasional walk down the road to enjoy their restaurant! Barb and Greg Gecas are the perfect hosts of this medium sized resort. I know two generations of people that have been comin'-up-the-trail regularly to stay at Heston's and most of them feel like they're good friends with them. If you're looking for a north woods experience, this is the real thing! There's a bonus; After a couple of days in the woods there, I get the notion that I am still 20 years old..... Nothin' wrong that, is there?

Room Tip: My favorites are the rustic cabins and Cedar Point cabin
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jim B
Reviewed 18 October 2012

This Lodge is located right on Gunflint Lake, a destination for travelers for generations. Its' secluded and quiet location is far superior to me than Gunflint Lodge, and far more authentic. The accomodations are comfortable cabins rather than hotel rooms, and what that means is that you get to enjoy the beauty of the area peacefully. My husband and I stayed at the Birch cabin and it was VERY cute and very well equipped. We had a living room, dining room, full kitchen, bathroom with bathtub (not just a shower) and two bedrooms with queen beds. The kitchen had a full refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, and every other kitchen item you might need (including a wine opener). The weather in October was cool -- we had snow two days -- but we were very comfortable in the cabin: there was a wood stove with lots of firewood, and the bedrooms had heaters in them as well. We ate at our cabin most of the time, but there are restaurants available a drive away if you want a change of pace. I recommend shopping in Grand Marais for your food items before you get here, but Heston's has a small store for items you may have forgotten. There was no cell phone reception here, but there was wifi. I didn't use the wifi, but I saw other guests on their laptops.

Now for the owners: You could not possibly find more caring and sweet proprietors. There are boats and canoes there for rent and Greg and Barb help you every step of the way. Barb helped me identify some birds I'd seen and recommended some hiking trails in the area. In the summer, Greg and Barb host a pizza night once a week, baking bread and pizza in their wood-fired outdoor bread oven. I couldn't recommend the place more completely. And their website shows beautiful photos of the cabins available at www.hestons.com .

As for the area, there's plenty of things to do besides sitting by the lake. We went to Gunflint Lodge one afternoon for lunch at the Bistro. We drove down Gunflint Trail and had dinner at Trail Center one night. There's a zipline close by (not my style), there's fishing galore, there are hiking trails. On our way home, we shopped in Grand Marais. Absolute musts in Grand Marais: Joynes Ben Franklin store, Storm Harbor, the Trading Post, and of course Worlds Best Donuts and Sven and Oles Pizza.

If you're thinking about getting away- this place is a no-brainer.

Room Tip: Most of the cabins are right on the lake or have fabulous lake views. Our cabin - Birch - was perfec...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple