“MacArthur B & B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
MacArthur House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 9 Grand Marais B&B and Inns
MAPLEWOOD
“MacArthur B & B”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We had stayed at the Bed and Breakfast. Room was beautiful and comfortable. Breakfast was wonderful. Everything was more than expected. Only problem was having to park on the street. Otherwise, everything was great.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Gorgeous, spacious room with a stunning view of the harbor. Private bathroom, with additional whirlpool tub in master suite. Mmmmmm, good banana bread! Very pleasant chatting with Max and Sherri. This was a business trip, and when we finally retire to our room to be "off the clock," we like it private and quiet. We got both.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We made a reservation 2 months in advance, but did not know they accidently wrote down the wrong credit card and phone numbers (off one digit). Since the credit card failed and phone number not work, they gave our reservation to someone else. No attempt to look us up on the internet (have a very unique name). We showed up and had no room in the inn. One very feeble attempt to find a room at another place and then sent us out. Not much of a sincere sorry either. Other hotels in the area were much more helpful! Suggest checking your reservation several times before arriving.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Darian310
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We checked into Cedar cabin at the MacArthur House B&B late in the evening. James showed us to the cabin, gave us the keys, and said call if we needed anything. We didn't. The beds were comfy and warm. Because it is a log cabin with partitions between the two bedrooms you can hear what is going on with your traveling partner in the next room. In this case loud laughter from SNL. But who can complain about laughter? Close to downtown. An easy walk for early morning coffee at the Java Moose or to photograph the harbor. Cabin equiped with stove and fridge but we ate at the many great restaurants in town. Stand up shower, no tub. On a main street, but this is a small town and there is very little traffic. Liked being in a log cabin. Warm stove that heated us right up!

Room Tip: I suspect any of these cabins would be great!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Rochester, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The MacArthur house provides clean spaces and friendly service. It is a change from many of the more "ornate" B&Bs out there, but it is comfortable. The rooms seem a bit sterile in the decor, but most importantly they are clean with private bathrooms. I didn't really check out other accommodations in the area, but the price here seemed reasonable. The breakfast is basic, but good. The owner was very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Shakopee, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We spent 3 wonderful nights and had a fabulous time. Our hosts were so pleasant that it really made us feel that we were at home. The food was beautifully prepared and was delicious. Our room was just ideal--could not have been better !!. The North Shore and Grand Marais are beautiful parts of this country and MacArthur House make time spent here even more enjoyable . We will definitely be back.
PS-ratings below give an excellent rating for swimming pool and fitness center. There are neither but it was an error on my part but the website didn't allow me to change to no rating.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We checked in to the MacArthur House on an unseasonably warm day in Grand Marais. We were escorted to our third floor suite. My husband politely asked if there was air conditioning. The reply was - No, perhaps you want to stay at the Best Western, we want you to be happy. We were shocked an inn keeper would provide this type of response. We did not feel welcome. We did stay. The suite and breakfasts provided were adequate.

Room Tip: The third floor suite does not have a door, it is open to the stairway. You can lock the bedroom do...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PaulieGirl2013
smax7737, Owner at MacArthur House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
This review made me feel terrible because of my communication with our guest. I was surprised when I read this review. I normally do not write back. But, this time I feel the need to explain my side of the conversation. The guests did check in on an unusually hot day. When we got to the third floor suite the husband asked me "Is there air conditioning?" I replied "No, sorry we do not have air conditioning." He let out a heavy sigh and left the room without a word. I was concerned about them being happy without air conditioning. So I suggested Best Western because they have air conditioning. I told the wife I was just trying to make sure they were happy. I apologized for the weather. She said "It's all right, he's just crabby." I suggested they move both fans to the bedroom where he went. She said "He just needs a nap." Our main goal is for our guests to be happy. If you read our other reviews you'll realize we are very committed to our life. I did apologize again the next day. My husband always tells me you can't control the weather. We have been inn keeping for 13 years. We love our guests, home and our business.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Marais
Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior
Harbor Inn Restaurant & Motel
Harbor Inn Restaurant & Motel
#7 of 10 in Grand Marais

Been to MacArthur House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!