“Home Away From Home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
MacArthur House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 9 Grand Marais B&B and Inns
Tallahassee, Florida
“Home Away From Home”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I really love the town of Grand Marais, and was thrilled to find this place to stay. I loved the walk into town, it is just a few blocks. But by being in a residential neighborhood we could sleep with the windows open, and still have a peaceful and quiet nights sleep.

We stayed in The Superior Room - second floor - very spacious and comfortable. The shower was a bit small for my husband, but I found it perfectly suitable and everything was just wonderful. The bed was super comfortable, the wireless internet worked great, the view out of every window was peaceful and calm and beautiful.

I think Max and Sherry are delightful hosts. They clearly care about their home, and their guests. They do a wonderful job of taking care of us without burdening us. And I loved seeing how they are such a part of the community. This is a place I could come back to and stay for weeks!

The breakfast was delicious and there is coffee available for the early riser. Be prepared to take off your shoes when inside the house - which is fine, just a surprise to me. We don't do that at home, but I got used to it. In fact, it made me feel more a part of the family :) ...

We caught an early boat to Isle Royale for a day trip and Sherry was sweet to make us muffins to go earlier than the regular breakfast. We had a great trip and were glad to come back in the afternoon and relax before heading out the next day.

I would definitely come back - maybe stay in a cabin next time? Not sure - I really love being in the house too! Give it a try - this is a gem of a spot!

Room Tip: We stayed in the B&B proper - but there are numerous Cabins as well. I'm sure they are also...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
zman319
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Met expectations, would recommend, would stay again.

Stayed for one night before taking boat to Isle Royale; our old favorite, the Wedgewood Motel, has closed for good. Sigh.

But, life goes on, and we were happy to find the Sugar Maple unit at the MacArthur B&B.

Location: in a residential neighborhood, within (reasonable) walking distance of the happenin' parts of Grand Marais. The various cabins are directly next door to the B&B (to the East, if you're a GoogleMapophile).

Room: Throwback motel unit- clean and spartan. Linen was crisp and also quite clean. Bathroom was spotless, included liquid soap but not shampoo/conditioner. Towels were superb and plentiful. Room included mini-fridge, microwave, and a floor/box fan. Double bed and two recliner chairs. Smaller TV with Direct TV on the wall.

We confirmed the room a few days ahead, since we were arriving late, and everything was good to go- receipt and keys were waiting upon arrival.

Happened to meet the owners and chatted a bit- sounds like they've recently purchased the cabins and have been doing quite a bit of repair/renovation... results are great.

The only thing I could suggest is darker curtains for those that don't want to greet the morning sun at oh-dark-fifteen.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank zman319
Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here for three nights as we celebrated our anniversary at the end of May. We did a lot of research on line and through Trip Advisor and, as a result, booked the Harbor Suite in advance. It is a spacious room with a sitting room that has a kitchenette table and small fridge. The description on the website is spot on. They offer breakfast at a specific time and cook one breakfast meal for everyone. They serve it individually at the large kitchen table downstairs. They are good cooks and there is plenty. The coffee is roasted locally and is a mild blend for my taste.
Max and Sherri are terrific innkeepers and they will make you feel comfortable right away. We are very happy with our decision to stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Parkersburg, West Virginia
Reviewed 25 June 2014

After traveling the "circle route" and dealing with fog and rain, it was refreshing to come to Grand Maria's. We decided to stay and happened upon the MacArthur house. What a delight. The rooms are spacious and equipped with all we needed. The hosts, Max and Sherry are a delight, and the food was scrumptious. Couldn't have been happier.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
AZ
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I am a semi-local as I work for one of the lodges on the trail. I come into town to get away on my days off and love bed and breakfasts. MacArthur house doesn't disappoint. Stayed in the Alaska room and loved it. Wonderful breakfast with the other people staying and lively conversation. I am coming back again next weekend and looking forward to checking out the Harbor suite.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Glendale, Arizona
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We decided to stay here after reading good reviews and we were not disappointed. We enjoyed the first night but didn't have a reservation for more than one night. Luckily, the owner overheard of our dilemma and made some room rearrangements which allowed us to stay in the same room for another night. Enjoyed the breakfast (gluten free accommodated) and the charm of the house and surroundings.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AZMN2010
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We had a wonderful stay. Max and Sherri are very hospitable. The rooms are beautiful and inviting. The breakfast was awesome. Looking forward to our next stay. We went with 2 other couples and enjoyed socializing in the common area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple