“Good but not great..”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
MacArthur House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 9 Grand Marais B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 August 2007

We just returned after a day's stay at MacArthur House at Grand Marais, MN. Its a big house owned by a family and they rent the rooms. The hosts were warm and friendly and can guide you about the places to visit nearby.
We stayed in North Shore Room which was quite comfortable. the bed was tidy and bathroom was clean though it has no bath tub. The room had no TV, Iron or coffee maker.
The breakfast is served at 8.30 am to all the guests. It included potatoes, french toast, fruits, juice and coffee. Though they boast that North Shore room has Lake Superior view, I felt thats its only to lure people. The Lake is at quite a distance and the view was obstructed by houses in between. Moreover, they charged $105 for it which I felt was expensive for a B&B (all hotels in that area are costlier so cannot really question them!)

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank Gaurav K

Reviewed 10 September 2006

I believe that negative review from 2003 was from when the B&B was under other owners. The owners when we visited were very hospitable and helpful.

Attractive premises. Rooms were extremely clean. Everything was in perfect repair. Very quiet.

The included breakfast was good and filling. Varied from day to day.
A good place for lunch is The Pie Place: excellenct pies and well prepared meals.

My only gripe was lack of internet service, but that was counterbalanced by the quiet and restful atmosphere.

• Stayed: September 2004, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank MikeNO
Reviewed 29 July 2005

We recently stayed at the MacArthur House B &B for five nights while I attended a workshop at the Grand Marais Arts Colony. We could not have picked a nicer, more accomodating place to stay. This B&B was specifically built for this purpose with large rooms and modern appointments. All rooms have private baths, I believe. Some are simple rooms with baths like our room, but there are also deluxe suites with whirlpool tubs and multiple rooms. One suite is like an appartment on the third floor. The weather was unusually hot for Grand Marais and not much has A/C including the MacArthur House. We were given a fan and the Mac Arthurs offered us another room with more windows. We were, however, very comfortable. The house also has a lovely garden and Sherri gave me a plant of one of the perenniels that I admired. The house is immaculate with a living room where any guest can relax outside of your room. Last but not least, the food is wonderful. Each day we could look forward to delicious treats for breakfast which were beautifully presented and served. My favorite was the French Toast baked with carmelized peaches. We also had fritatas, a wonderful scrambled egg dish on a home made roll, fresh fruit daily. My husband and I give the MacArthur House our highest recommendation!

• Stayed: July 2005, travelled on business
4  Thank mmissner
ST. Paul, Mn
Reviewed 24 April 2005

My wife and I often visit the MacArther House B&B. The innkeepers Max and Sherri are a joy to be around and the rooms are very spacious. I'm not a breakfast guy, but I wouldn't miss theirs for anything! We bring new friends up every year and they love it. Compared to other B&B we've been to, this is where we feel "at home" the most. I'm shock to see the bad review from the Fargo folks. That is far from the truth! PLease check it out for yourselves and you won't regret it! The rates are very reasonable and the house is emaculate! The 5 hrs drive from St. Paul is worth it!

• Stayed: April 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 March 2004

What a fantastic place to stay. I'm not much of a B&B'er, but the size and cleanliness of the rooms far surpassed what I ever expected. The breakfast was huge, hearty, delicious, and the Innkeepers Sherry and Max are like family. Highly recommended.

5  Thank jobaecker
Bloomington, IL
Reviewed 16 August 2003

The MacArthur House was a very enjoyable place to stay. Our hosts were gracious and friendly and the rooms were large, clean and very comfortable. The breakfast was especially good. What a treat to go to sleep hearing wolves howling in the distance!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fargo, ND
Reviewed 1 July 2003

The town was cute, but the service at the MacArthur House was lousy.
The innkeepers look like they did not enjoy what they do. The food was not very good. We cut our stay short and stayed at another inn.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#8 of 10 in Grand Marais
Thomsonite Beach Inn & Suites
Thomsonite Beach Inn & Suites
#3 of 9 in Grand Marais

Been to MacArthur House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!