Gunflint Lodge & Outfitters
East Bay Suites(Grand Marais)
US$215
US$195
US$140
Best Western Plus Superior Inn(Grand Marais)(Great Value!)
US$158
Hotels.com
Aspen Inn(Grand Marais)
US$111
Hotels.com
The Shoreline Inn(Grand Marais)
US$122
Mangy Moose Motel(Grand Marais)(Great Value!)
US$113
TripAdvisor
Skyport Lodge(Grand Marais)(Great Value!)
US$87
TripAdvisor
The Cliff Dweller on Lake Superior(Lutsen)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$108
All reviewshorseback ridingromantic cabinwalleye chowderzip linewolf howlingdog sleddingnight hikeclassic cabinmeal planhigh cliffsfeed the duckshot tubsunday bbqcandle makingnever felt unsafesoap makingsledding hill
Reviewed 26 September 2012

My husband and I went to GFL for a two-day anniversary trip and stayed in cabin 20. This is the smallest and least appointed cabin with a kitchenette (no stove/oven) and only a jetted shower (no spa.) It was a charming cabin but seemed much too pricey. We bought a crowd cut for $299, but it was valued at $599 (for two nights.) I can't figure out how this cabin could ever go for $299/night. Still, we had a good time.

We ate at Justine's three times (one dinner, two breakfasts) and it was fabulous each time. Food was fresh, local (walleye & wild rice) and well made. They served the best bread I have ever had in my entire life. It was wild rice with cranberry. The walleye chowder was also amazing. The breakfasts were great. The flapjack was warm and incredibly satisfying.

During our trip we hiked, joined a naturalist program, made lots of fires, watched the sunset on the lake, and generally lounged. It was very relaxing. The fall color was amazing. The mix of evergreen and hardwood creates a stunning color combination.

Wish the lodge would tell people to stop feeding the ducks, yuck. They're like rats. Also, virtually everyone brought their dog (us included.) Not sure if this keeps the wildlife away or not. One of the lodge staff saw a lynx the day before we arrived, so maybe it doesn't matter?

We would go back, but not for regular price. Hopefully they offers discounts frequently.

Room Tip: Kitchen has no extras (microwave only.) Bring your own mixing bowls, seasonings. Bring your own coffee, they stock Folgers.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica022
Reviewed 26 August 2012

On the 19th of Aug. my hubby and I with another couple took a weeks vacation at Gunflint Lodge. We drove from the U.P. of Michigan,the drive was really beautiful. We had such a GREAT time. The cabin we stayed at was wonderful. Very clean and neat. We hiked the trails to see waterfalls.Fishing was great. Kayaked and went for a boat rides. We even went horse back riding, that was very enjoyable. Sat by the lake and fed the ducks,I think at one time I had 25. The sunsets was beautiful. Food was fantastic!!!! You could not find better staff they all were so friendly,polite and nice. We will be planning another trip there! Thanks for everything Bruce and Sue!!!!!!! ;-) I would recomend Gunflint Lodge if you are looking for a great get away.

Room Tip: We stayed in cabin 19 and it was close to the lodge. Loved it!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stayed in cabin 19 August 19-25, 2012. The cabin was spacious with a big kitchen. Two bedrooms, two baths, a sauna and whirlpool tub plus a real wood fireplace. But we didn't spent a lot of time in the cabin, there is so much to do! Bruce Kerfoot (owner) pointed us to some good fishing and 3 of us paddled the lake wrapped in the arms of Mother Nature. Gorgeous scenery and in spite of the fishing being a little tough this time of year, we did catch a meal!

Horseback riding was awesome and the wranglers were the BEST! They gave us a super helpful demo that is good for the riders and for the horses. Very caring and friendly.

Other highlights were the trip to Little Falls and Bridal Falls. Wonderful for photography or just sight-seeing. Lots of hiking opportunities in the area. Boat rides around the lake and plenty of places to explore. Or just sit on the dock and feed the ducks and relax listening to the lapping of the waves.

Food was awesome as usual, cookie jar full of warm, fresh-baked cookies and wonderful hot cocoa always available. Walleye chowder is to die for!! For those who don't like to be totally disconnected from the world, wi-fi in the comfortable lodge or out on the patio. Chatting with Bruce was so enjoyable, he tells great stories and really cares that his guests enjoy their stay. The Sunday night BBQ was totally delicious as were all the meals.

All staff was wonderful and accommodating. Loved the bed, miss the great pillows now that I'm home!! Just a super place to relax and get away from all the stresses of life. We chose not to bring our dogs but dogs are welcome at Gunflint and that is really awesome. Whenever I head up the trail to Gunflint I feel like I am going home.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2012

My wife and I spent a weekend at Gunflint Loge July 20th - 22nd. She was a bit skeptical of staying at a "cabin" but loved every minute of it. The cabins are wonderful. We had a brand new bathroom with a massage shower, king sized bed, kitchenette (Fridge 7 microwave, no stove), fireplace. It was very nice. The restaraunt had really good food, and we like the patio that overlooked the lake for sunset. The bar was fun too, and everyone was very friendly. We took a boat out one day. The lake is very clear. The attendant told us to go over to the Magnetic Bay side to see the cabin on its own island.

Other activities we enjoyed were hiking the trails, and the canopy/zipline tour. We loved the canopy/zipline tour. Despite the hieght of some of the platforms we never felt unsafe. The guys who give the tour do a great job. They have horses too if you want to go for a ride. We didn't have time to

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My girlfriend and I booked two nights (Fri & Sat) in Mid July and had an excellent getaway! We stayed in cabin 22. One thing to keep in mind is that this cabin was labeled as a lakeshore cabin, however it is set back from the shore approximately 30 yards with a trail that runs from your door down to the water. With summer vegetation this distance tends to lose the lakeshore feel and view from inside your cabin. They do however have several deck-like platforms just feet from the shoreline with 2 loungers on each spread out for relaxing in. This was perfect for a couple who wants a quiet glass of wine while watching the sunset! We rented a fishing boat on Saturday and the staff was very friendly in getting us all set up. We didn't have much luck fishing, but it was still great to be out on the water on such a quiet lake. There are several activities for couples and families, but we wanted to get away as much as we could and didn't partake in any. There are grills to use, however one grill is shared by two cabins. Thankfully our neighbors never grilled or this could have caused some timing issues. They do have a restaurant in the lodge for those who don't want to cook! Overall the cabin was what we expected. No air conditioning, but we never felt uncomfortable at night. Some of the cabin could use some updating, but again, we were just glad to get away from the city life so it didn't matter much to us. Perhaps my rating will reflect more the peaceful nature of our trip and the personal time we were able to share rather than the quality of the lodging.

Room Tip: Cabin 22 has a sauna. I don't think any of them had A/C.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple