“Five in a row” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Poplar Lake

Poplar Lake
More attraction details
Owner description: Entry point to many lakes in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
Schaumburg, IL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Five in a row”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2009

My wife and I have vacationed at the Norwester on Popular Lake for five years and are going back this summer for a 10 day stay.

The Norwester and the lake are a great place to watch, listen, and just be, plus spend as much time as you want tekking about, ghosting along the lake, or exploring the back roads.

I have only seen one jetski and that was for an hour or so over a couple of days, so the lake is peaceful.

A good spot to get recentered.

If you are a family of mixed ideas of what it take to vacation the nearby village of Grand Marais offers plenty or eats, places to shop, and places to park with a cup of great coffee while the spouse lingers in the stores.

Grand Marais is a little piece of Cape Cod in MN.

G & D R.

4 Thank gdcmr

Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Serenity Now”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2008

I have been up to Poplar Lake 3 times, stayed at Old Northwoods Lodge. Everything is great. The dogs run out to meet you, no doors are locked, in fact they don't even have locks, the sauna is open and warm, just take a canoe if you want one. The other side of the spectrum from red tape and frustration. The lake itself is a gem. Take a canoe out for sure.
There are large open areas, there are tons of little islands and bays where you can just glide through on your canoe. I even saw a loon "fly" under my canoe. I also saw a bald eagle try to catch a duck, wow. There is decent fishing, I caught a Northern Pike and a Small Mouth Bass. Also provides access to the BWCA. The BWCA is truly, truly, truly, a gift of a place. Go there and respect it.
You can also go to Grand Marais (eat at Sven & Ole's), go running, hiking, biking, berry picking, cross country skiing, or sightseeing (check out Honeymoon Bluff). There are great things to do all around Poplar Lake and the Grand Marais / Gunflint Trail area.

( I have also stayed at Loon Lake Lodge, Bearksin Lodge, and Gunflint Pines, loved them all, they are on lakes close to Poplar)

6 Thank cntwt4smr
oak forest, il
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“10+”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2007

We had a cabin on Poplar Lake for many years. To me Poplar Lake is Heaven. I would move there in a heart beat and anyone who does not stop at Poplar Lake for their vacation is a fool. It is the place to me. I give Poplar Lake a 10+.

4 Thank missthecabin