“great trails near town”

Pincushion Mountain Trail System
Reviewed 9 February 2012

The grooming is excellent and the views of the forests and lake are the best!

Reviewed 9 January 2012

Beautiful view of the Grand Marais area. Take a picnic lunch and stay awhile. Well worth the hike!

Reviewed 22 December 2011

I spent a morning here riding my bike on the trails. Its not very well marked for the summer traveler, and probably a better place to do some hiking, but after a while, I figured out where I was and had a nice time racing up and down the hills. My wife and I will be back this winter to try the ski trails out. It looks to be a fantastic place in the wintertime.

Reviewed 18 December 2011

We always stop for a few hours to hit the trails at Pincushion when we're in Grand Marais in the winter. It's at the top of "the hill" overlooking Grand Marais and Lake Superior and if you just stop to soak in the view of that alone, it's worth stopping. But, the trails are what's really special here. There are miles of trails for every skill level and even if there are a lot of vehicles in the parking lot, you'll rarely see anyone else on the trails. It's like you have the whole woods to yourself. It's great and I can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 10 May 2011

Despite the calendar's insistence that it was April 5th, my fiance and I found over a foot of snow throughout this extensive trail system. The trails showed faint signs of a recent grooming, but could be forgiven for a little neglect since winter was supposed to have ended weeks ago. I was shocked at how many different trails branched off this little trailhead, hidden just below the Gunflint Trail.