“Extremely Interesting”

North House Folk School
More attraction details
Owner description: Modeled after Danish folk schools from the 1800s, this educational site offers up to 100 different courses on a wide variety of subjects such as spinning wool and sailing.
Reviewed 16 August 2017

Crafts, teaching lost arts and new craftsmanship. A boat (a two-master) for short cruises. Baking. Sewing. Basket making. Fishery. Canoe making. Cabinetry/joinery. A friend is going to take a four day course on building stone pizza ovens! A small craft shop on site.

All reviews
"unplugged"
"enrolled"
"knitting"

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

I have enrolled in classes three times. The first was a bread making class with our teenage daughter and a friend. It was great and I enjoyed the wood fire oven. Soap making is a perfect class for a beginner and I'll be taking a knitting class next month. There is something for everyone, all ages and interests. Whenever I look at their course offerings, I am inspired to learn something new!

Reviewed 4 July 2017

Many classes to choose from, sign up early because classes fill up quickly. I took a beginning knitting class with the instructor coming from Wisconsin. My class was on the second floor over looking the harbor-beautiful view. The instructor was friendly, very patient and gave frequent one on one attention. There is plenty to do with great hiking around the area to make a nice vacation of your stay.

Reviewed 24 June 2017

I took a bead painting class at North House Folk School with Jo Wood, whose artwork I've admired for a long long time. She was a delightful and generous teacher and I learned exactly what I wanted to learn

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 May 2017

I have always wanted to take one of their courses and finally signed up for Eric Moshier's masonry mass stove course. I was impressed with how organized the whole weekend went from our instructor, all the interns and the rest of the folks working at the school were. It was all done in a very relaxed demeanour though. There was chance to meet and chat with participants taking other courses. I plan to make this a yearly trip. Book early in the winter when the new classes are announced because the key classes sell out early.

1  Thank asc1291