“Dyn-0-mite”
Review of Cross River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
Cross River Lodge
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Outstanding place... great people... incredible service... immaculate accomodations.. wonderful food, etc.., etc... etc.. I would highly recommend Cross River to anyone. We came with a group from Missouri and probably picked the worst weather we possibly could. Fishing was not the best, but everything else was. This is beautiful country. I would highly recommend Cross Riverto anyone...

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Cross River Lodge

Reviewed 30 June 2011

This country is beautiful!! So is the Lodge. I went along on a business trip so we decided stay here!! John, Rose, Paula, Doug; very, very nice; very accommodatiing. We stayed in the Lodge which our room was spotless !! The decor of the Lodge is simply breathtaking!! Nothing like looking at the stars sitting on the balcony!! We found out about the many trails, restaraunts, etc . Gunflint Lake!! WOW!!! Will we go back???
U BETCHA!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank linhab
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I had the greatest fortune to stay at the Cross River during a business function. We were entertaining a dozen or so bankers and this place was fabulous! We were up here duing the worst week possible for weather and fishing but everyone still had a blast! The hosts and their staff did an outstanding job at providing top notch service. One of the highlites was the food, I've never ate so well in a week in my life (and I like to eat)! Note the meals package is highly recomended but doesn't come standard with a standard cabin rental. Some of the other highlites:
- great views from just about anywhere in the lodge and other cabins!
- wifi. Not as important if I was here in vacation but there is no cell phone ceverage and the wifi let me stay in touch with my office and my family.
- Boats and a dock! John has several boat options which all worked great. Gunflint Lake is a big lake but with the boats we were able to get ot other scenic lakes with better fishing or even better vistas. It was great to have John and staff around to teach us for guidance on the boats and when NOT to be on the water, great advice!
- Trails and falls close by. There is a great hiking trail with a magnetic rock and remnants of a meteorite on or close to the trail. Very neat and a great way to stretch the legs (wear good hiking shoes). There are also a couple of water falls close to the lodge, just a short boat ride and hike away.
- Easy fishing area. Again, Gunflint is a big lake so it can be tough to fish without a boat but there is a bridge close to the lodge which was easy to fish from and provided plenty of great catches (walleye, smallmouth, and pike). Good place to take kids or fish yourself if you don't want to take the boats out.
- Great hosts! John was very knowledgeable of the area and provided good places to go fishing. Rose was always so cheerful and a wonderful hostess! Paula was like a mother hen making sure we were taken care of. Doug was a great resource for the area trails, flora/fauna, and would be great resource for trips going into the Boundary Waters.
- Got a bit depressed leaving. Even though I couldn't wait to get home to my family, the Cross River Lodge, its staff, and the scenic area has left a permanent positive impression!

I could go on and on but I would highly recommend the Cross River Lodge as a business function and as a personal getaway/vacation. I will be recomending our company use the facility for a retreat and will try to get back here soon with my own family.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank slimbob76
Reviewed 20 June 2011

WOW! What a fabulous week we had. John & Rose are the most incredible people you'll ever meet. The Lodge is a thing of beauty and so comfortable. We could not believe the cabins. The decor is 5-star all the way in every cabin. The treatment you receive is also 5-star. We fished every day from the bridge and had great luck. My husband caught the biggest walleye he's ever caught and I caught a great northern pike. We had soooo much fun there. The scenery is breathtaking from every view. We loved the morning walks and listening to the loons on the lake. We also loved the great food John cooked for us while we were there. He's an awesome cook and Rose is an awesome hostess! We will definitely come back! We were so blessed to be able to share this with them.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2011

What a beautiful place! The hosts, John and Rose and their staff, Paula and Doug, are amazing people. Very sweet and generous and will take care of any problem (although we didn't have any) that might arise. They just took over ownership last year and are doing an amazing job. The cabin we stayed in, Northwoods, is brand new and gorgeous inside. We also viewed the lodge rooms above the main lodge, and they are all remodeled and decor is stunning and very 'up north'. One room even has a jacuzzi tub and fireplace. They recently took over ownership of two other cabins here and renovation is in progress, although they are still nice and comfortable cabins. The main lodge has been remodeled and is beautiful as well, with hickory floors and knotty pine walls. The fire place is gorgeous and is the centerpiece of the main room. For those who need to stay connected and watch television, there is one available in the lodge. They also have wifi and you can connect to it in the lodge. Just ask for the password and you are in. They have a little kitchen area in the lodge and offer a continental type breakfast, with coffee, tea and hot chocolate. They also did a bbq with ribs, chicken wings and legs that was to die for. John is an amazing cook! Other than the occasional impromptu bbq and the always available continental breakfast, you are on your own for your meals.

The view??? Amazing! Sits on the banks of Gunflint Lake. Rocky shoreline, clear waters, pine trees and fresh air. Ahhh, what could be better? Well how about the fishing! Right off of the bridge and we were catching walleye, monster northerns and bass.

This is a great place to stay if you are looking for a laid back, peaceful comfortable place to hang out. Rustic, yet comfortable. And the owners and staff - well, all I can say is hearts of gold and they will go out of their way to make things great.

Photos will be coming later We will most definitely be back!

Room Tip: Ask for Northwoods, Wolf Den or the lodge rooms
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Was excited to enjoy some family time at Cross River Lodge, but once we arrived, it was a disaster. We rented a pontoon which was in very poor condition and hesitated to even start a few times. When we mentioned it to John (the owner), he became very defensive and blamed us for the condition. Furthermore, the two other boats were in worse conditions! The first one (which we also rented) did not have a night light allowing us to enjoy ourselves pass sun set. The second boat was totally flooded when we got there. It was clear that the boat had some major damages resulting in the overflow of water, but that didn’t stop John from renting it out to another customer after pumping it all out. Overall, it was a terrible vacation and we do not recommend this place to anyone. Their lack of customer service and knowledge about their own personal properties (rental boats/pontoon) were only few contributions to our overall dissatisfaction. Save your money and your vacation for the cabins across the lake; Gunflint Pines or Gunflint Lodge! These were our first choices, but they were booked at the time we looked around.
The cabin itself was decent and the place offered continental breakfast which was actually the only perk about Cross River Lodge. I would not recommend this place to anyone, UNLESS you already have your own boat and looking for a cheap place.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank tripreview01_28
Johhhhn, Owner at Cross River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2011

What a disappointing review. I responded to this reviewer before but it seems she cannot be satisfied. Demands for more and more discounts led to this unfortunate situation and review. I simply had to put my foot down as this family of 17 people packed into one cabin. My mistake for allowing this situation to happen and I'm sorry I did it. We have nice boats but we do not allow boats out after dark so lights are not needed. I feel we were most fair with this group and I'm sorry she feels otherwise.

Reviewed 31 May 2011

My husband and I stayed in the new cabin, with our 6 year old granddaughter. The lodge and grounds are beautiful. Our two bedrooms cabin was GREAT! Roomy, beautiful decor and furniture, completely furnished. Our granddaughter went down to the lodge every morning for breakfast. Doug was a great host, knowlegeable and friendly. Despite a sprained ankle, he helped my husband load our boat back onto the trailer. Would highly recommend this place to everyone! They have the softest bed I have ever slept on!!!

Room Tip: I highly recommend staying in a cabin.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family