Cross River Lodge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Aspen Lodge(Grand Marais)
US$111
Hotels.com
East Bay Suites(Grand Marais)(Great Value!)
US$179
US$163
Best Western Plus Superior Inn(Grand Marais)(Great Value!)
US$131
BestWestern.com
US$140
Aspen Inn(Grand Marais)
US$73
Hotwire.com
The Shoreline Inn(Grand Marais)
US$111
Hotwire.com
Mangy Moose Motel(Grand Marais)(Great Value!)
US$101
TripAdvisor
Feather Nest Inn(Grand Marais)
Spruceglen Inn(Grand Marais)
Hotels.com
All reviewsgunflint lakemade to order breakfastwolf denfrench toastjohn makesjohn cooksbring bug sprayevery guestincredible breakfastwildlife viewingyear after yearremote locationcomfortable accommodationsfabulous hostsgas stoveboundary watersevery morning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Education, fishing, and relaxation abounded at John and Rose's Moosehorn Lodge. It's easy to say that 14 of us felt as if we had been adopted with the finest in everything provided by this wonderful little place on Gunflint Lake. Accommodations the best, comaraderie and fellowship from the staff unmatched. Don't miss John's "Pig In A Polka" bbq cooking rub and "his sweet hot pickles!" One or 14, it's the best. Try it, you'll llove it.

1  Thank JJSage
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Outstanding place... great people... incredible service... immaculate accomodations.. wonderful food, etc.., etc... etc.. I would highly recommend Cross River to anyone. We came with a group from Missouri and probably picked the worst weather we possibly could. Fishing was not the best, but everything else was. This is beautiful country. I would highly recommend Cross Riverto anyone...

Reviewed 30 June 2011

This country is beautiful!! So is the Lodge. I went along on a business trip so we decided stay here!! John, Rose, Paula, Doug; very, very nice; very accommodatiing. We stayed in the Lodge which our room was spotless !! The decor of the Lodge is simply breathtaking!! Nothing like looking at the stars sitting on the balcony!! We found out about the many trails, restaraunts, etc . Gunflint Lake!! WOW!!! Will we go back???
U BETCHA!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank linhab
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I had the greatest fortune to stay at the Cross River during a business function. We were entertaining a dozen or so bankers and this place was fabulous! We were up here duing the worst week possible for weather and fishing but everyone still had a blast! The hosts and their staff did an outstanding job at providing top notch service. One of the highlites was the food, I've never ate so well in a week in my life (and I like to eat)! Note the meals package is highly recomended but doesn't come standard with a standard cabin rental. Some of the other highlites:
- great views from just about anywhere in the lodge and other cabins!
- wifi. Not as important if I was here in vacation but there is no cell phone ceverage and the wifi let me stay in touch with my office and my family.
- Boats and a dock! John has several boat options which all worked great. Gunflint Lake is a big lake but with the boats we were able to get ot other scenic lakes with better fishing or even better vistas. It was great to have John and staff around to teach us for guidance on the boats and when NOT to be on the water, great advice!
- Trails and falls close by. There is a great hiking trail with a magnetic rock and remnants of a meteorite on or close to the trail. Very neat and a great way to stretch the legs (wear good hiking shoes). There are also a couple of water falls close to the lodge, just a short boat ride and hike away.
- Easy fishing area. Again, Gunflint is a big lake so it can be tough to fish without a boat but there is a bridge close to the lodge which was easy to fish from and provided plenty of great catches (walleye, smallmouth, and pike). Good place to take kids or fish yourself if you don't want to take the boats out.
- Great hosts! John was very knowledgeable of the area and provided good places to go fishing. Rose was always so cheerful and a wonderful hostess! Paula was like a mother hen making sure we were taken care of. Doug was a great resource for the area trails, flora/fauna, and would be great resource for trips going into the Boundary Waters.
- Got a bit depressed leaving. Even though I couldn't wait to get home to my family, the Cross River Lodge, its staff, and the scenic area has left a permanent positive impression!

I could go on and on but I would highly recommend the Cross River Lodge as a business function and as a personal getaway/vacation. I will be recomending our company use the facility for a retreat and will try to get back here soon with my own family.

1  Thank slimbob76
Reviewed 20 June 2011

WOW! What a fabulous week we had. John & Rose are the most incredible people you'll ever meet. The Lodge is a thing of beauty and so comfortable. We could not believe the cabins. The decor is 5-star all the way in every cabin. The treatment you receive is also 5-star. We fished every day from the bridge and had great luck. My husband caught the biggest walleye he's ever caught and I caught a great northern pike. We had soooo much fun there. The scenery is breathtaking from every view. We loved the morning walks and listening to the loons on the lake. We also loved the great food John cooked for us while we were there. He's an awesome cook and Rose is an awesome hostess! We will definitely come back! We were so blessed to be able to share this with them.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple