“Hikers like Clearwater Lodge, too!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
Clearwater Historic Lodge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 June 2013

A group of us went up to hike the Border Route hiking trail in the BWCAW in May, and despite the lingering ice on the lake we were ferried by boat to our starting point. The end of the trip came more quickly than planned due to bad weather, and the good folks at Clearwater Lodge got us right back into one of the bunkhouses for a hot shower and a dry night's sleep. Great hospitality, and you can't beat the breakfasts!

Room Tip: Some of the bunkhouse rooms have their own bathroom, some don't--ask ahead if it matters to you.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 May 2013

We arrived at Clearwater Lodge on 5/18 to find a good deal of ice still on the lake. It rained and the wind blew for several days. And, we had a splendid time! We hiked (sometimes in almost knee deep water because of the wet weather), fished, canoed (when the weather cleared) and visited nearby Grand Marais. The cabin was very comfortable, and the view couldn't be beat! We would love to go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2013

The revival of this historic gem, by the current owners and staff, is to be commended. They have truly embraced their roll as stewards of this beautiful lodge and surrounding land. This is truly a one of a kind experience. The lodge is nearly 90 years old and their outfitting business began in 1915. If you really want to experience the Gunflint Trail, Clearwater Lodge should be your choice. Whether you stay in the lodge or one of their amazing cabin, or allow them to assist you with your canoeing adventure, your Clearwater experience will be unmatched and unforgettable.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Traveled to this lodge during the past summer with my daughter and her husband. We stayed in Cabin 3. The lake was beautiful, I had never been to Minnesota and was amazed at the beauty. We didn't even fish, but we loved being on the lake. I enjoyed spending time in the lodge and hearing some of the old stories, reminded me a bit of back when I was younger. I was a bit disappointed by one thing, I expected to see more wildlife. We only saw 3 bears, some deer and a couple of foxes. I was expecting to see a moose. I asked the owner, and he said moose sightings are becoming rarer. I really enjoyed getting up in the morning and listening to birds and a duck like bird that I was told was called a loon. We did a short hike in the area, a place called honeymoon hill. I have a bad leg and still managed to get up the steps to the top, real pretty view from on top. We took a day and drove around, we were looking for moose and went to a museum that was at the end of the road. The museum was really nice and interesting. We also spent a day and went into Grand Marais and went shopping. I even found a nice quilt store, I bought some fabric and made a small quilt to remember my trip. I live pretty far away and am in my late 80s, so I will probably never get back, but will always remember this lake and the lodge.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JosephineC940
Reviewed 21 March 2013

My family (all 21 of us) really enjoyed our Boundary Water experience at Clearwater Lodge. 9 did the whole experience by canoeing in, but the rest stayed in the cabins. Very nice cabins. Rustic feel, but updated. Supplied with all living items needed to cook with, clean soft towel to shower with. We did this trip in July. We fished, canoed, had camp fire, ate great pastries. I learned how to use leeches to fish with thanks to our outfitters friendly repetitive advise. A very memorable trip and if I didn't live in Arizona this would be an annual vacation spot. Only gave 4 stars on sleep quality because we had cramped space with my huge family. Otherwise it would have been 5 stars.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Long overdue: Our group of three men took Room A from July 2 - July 5. This was our first visit the boundary waters area.

We saw a Moose. We ate pie. We ate one of those big flat fish that are popular up there — and look on a plate like a flayed tennis racket. We paddled about in chilly water. We motor boated to the end of Clearwater Lake. We [tried] to read some tattered paper backs. We climbed a bluff. We played the Game of Life. We met a large group who'd been coming to this lodge for three generations — and approved of the "present management."

The truth is, Casey and Adam know what they are doing and they know how to treat guests.
Now, Adam, I could have done without kiddy time on the porch in the later afternoons having put up with their rambunctiousness all morning long, but, hey, this is a family place and all are welcome. But point me to a hammock by the lake next time that allows me escape.

On a Diversity Note, "we" were a long married gay couple and a very light in the heels traveling companion whose outer limits of "roughing it" were that porch, the mosquitos and no Central AC. Still, we all loved it. We felt comfortable and welcome at all times.

The Secret Weapon of Clearwater Lodge? What distinguishes this place from the other Stuffed Moose Head infested lodges of the Gunflint Trail. Her name is Gloria. This long time local gal can cook mean mixed berry pie and slap down some delicious eggs and french toast.

Oh — and did I say we saw a moose? We saw a moose. Adam says siting them is rare nowadays. But we got a hazy photo. She/he looked like a nine foot tall alien. Or Susquatch. On four very, very long legs. Score one for the gay boys. Go team!

Room Tip: Don't give up. This place is at the end of a long well packed unpaved road. During hot months in...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank PorterWrite
AdamVT, Owner at Clearwater Historic Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

Thanks Todd for your review. It was a pleasure visiting with you and your companions at the lodge. And I will make sure to pass on your compliments to Gloria, she loves hearing that people love her food. Thanks again for taking the time to write us a review.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

Our family spent the first week of September in cabin 8, beautiful location and very comfortable accommodations. The cabin has recent modifications to the bathroom, has many new appliances, is well supplied with dishes, utensils, etc, is very nicely furnished, and is wonderfully private. The service is very good as well. We ate breakfast at the lodge one morning, awesome pancakes. The boats and canoes are quite new and all the equipment is in very good condition. Terrific advice from the resident outfitter for day trips or extended outages. The lodge offers many items of historic interest, is a great place to get a meal or some homemade bread or pie, or to simply sit out on the covered porch and read a good book. It was a fantastic week of outdoor activities and R&R with the family. The location offers very convenient access for a pristine wilderness experience.

Room Tip: We got to check out all the cabins and they are all great. Cabin 7 is the most modern and largest bu...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your review and for choosing to spend a week with us at Clearwater Lodge. It is a pleasure knowing that you and your family enjoyed your time here. Hope to see you again sometime in the Northwoods!