“BWCA Clearwater Lodge” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clearwater Historic Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
Clearwater Historic Lodge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fox Point, Wisconsin, United States
“BWCA Clearwater Lodge”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

Since 1967 I've returned to the same lake down the road from Clearwater Lodge for an annual fishing trip. This year, as a family trip we decided to rent a cabin on Clearwater. I've been stopping at the lodge for years to grab a soda, get some bait, etc. But save for a paddle through during portage trips, I hadn't spent much time on the lake. We were thoroughly impressed with the experience. From the historic-yet-updated cabins, to the service and atmosphere, we couldn't have had a better time. As an example, one morning while trolling I experienced engine problems with the outboard on the boat we had rented. I was able to limp back to shore under 1/2 power. Upon informing the lodge, within 20 minutes one of the staff was over to retrieve our boat, and provide us with a replacement. Attention to detail and customer service is obviously ingrained in the culture at Clearwater Lodge. My family highly recommends it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dmerk63

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

Awesome trip to the BWCA. We entered through Clearwater Lake and rented canoes from Clearwater Lodge. Stayed on Pine Lake and Caribou Lake in early June. We didn't see a single other person for 2 days. Spent my 30th birthday on Pine Lake and saw my first Moose!Staff was great, beautiful area, thanks for all your help!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

A group of us went up to hike the Border Route hiking trail in the BWCAW in May, and despite the lingering ice on the lake we were ferried by boat to our starting point. The end of the trip came more quickly than planned due to bad weather, and the good folks at Clearwater Lodge got us right back into one of the bunkhouses for a hot shower and a dry night's sleep. Great hospitality, and you can't beat the breakfasts!

Room Tip: Some of the bunkhouse rooms have their own bathroom, some don't--ask ahead if it matters to you.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

We arrived at Clearwater Lodge on 5/18 to find a good deal of ice still on the lake. It rained and the wind blew for several days. And, we had a splendid time! We hiked (sometimes in almost knee deep water because of the wet weather), fished, canoed (when the weather cleared) and visited nearby Grand Marais. The cabin was very comfortable, and the view couldn't be beat! We would love to go back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Minnesota, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

The revival of this historic gem, by the current owners and staff, is to be commended. They have truly embraced their roll as stewards of this beautiful lodge and surrounding land. This is truly a one of a kind experience. The lodge is nearly 90 years old and their outfitting business began in 1915. If you really want to experience the Gunflint Trail, Clearwater Lodge should be your choice. Whether you stay in the lodge or one of their amazing cabin, or allow them to assist you with your canoeing adventure, your Clearwater experience will be unmatched and unforgettable.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

Traveled to this lodge during the past summer with my daughter and her husband. We stayed in Cabin 3. The lake was beautiful, I had never been to Minnesota and was amazed at the beauty. We didn't even fish, but we loved being on the lake. I enjoyed spending time in the lodge and hearing some of the old stories, reminded me a bit of back when I was younger. I was a bit disappointed by one thing, I expected to see more wildlife. We only saw 3 bears, some deer and a couple of foxes. I was expecting to see a moose. I asked the owner, and he said moose sightings are becoming rarer. I really enjoyed getting up in the morning and listening to birds and a duck like bird that I was told was called a loon. We did a short hike in the area, a place called honeymoon hill. I have a bad leg and still managed to get up the steps to the top, real pretty view from on top. We took a day and drove around, we were looking for moose and went to a museum that was at the end of the road. The museum was really nice and interesting. We also spent a day and went into Grand Marais and went shopping. I even found a nice quilt store, I bought some fabric and made a small quilt to remember my trip. I live pretty far away and am in my late 80s, so I will probably never get back, but will always remember this lake and the lodge.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JosephineC940
Tolleson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

My family (all 21 of us) really enjoyed our Boundary Water experience at Clearwater Lodge. 9 did the whole experience by canoeing in, but the rest stayed in the cabins. Very nice cabins. Rustic feel, but updated. Supplied with all living items needed to cook with, clean soft towel to shower with. We did this trip in July. We fished, canoed, had camp fire, ate great pastries. I learned how to use leeches to fish with thanks to our outfitters friendly repetitive advise. A very memorable trip and if I didn't live in Arizona this would be an annual vacation spot. Only gave 4 stars on sleep quality because we had cramped space with my huge family. Otherwise it would have been 5 stars.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family