“Perfect place to launch your BWCA trip”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
Clearwater Historic Lodge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Wheaton, Illinois, United States
“Perfect place to launch your BWCA trip”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We regularly use Clearwater as our launching point into the BWCA. They can take care of whatever you need, whether it's just a bunk and a place to get your permit, or more outfitting needs. Great property with great service. We will be back for sure.

Room Tip: bunkhouses are pretty rustic. If you're looking for privacy or a place to relax choose a cabin...

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Steilacoom, Washington
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Take it from a repeat customer - this place is worth returning to every year. We just finished our 10th visit to Clearwater Lodge and one of the most important things we did was get our reservation for next year. We never tire of the cabin, the lake, the fishing and boating, and the fun. Adam and Kasey take good care of us. The only surprise is what improvements they've made to the facilities since the last year. We'll be back next year.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This place is perfect in every way! They accommodated us with hospitality and warmth and attended every need as if we were family. It is the perfect place to paddle into the BWCA and the convenience of having an outfitter right there made it easy to wake up and hit the lakes. The cabins were immaculate, well stocked, and the beds were unbelievable. I have never slept so well in a bed other than my own. The grounds were well kept up and the lodge is a great place for families to gather. It was also nice that we were able to have breakfast made for us one morning, right in the lodge. I would recommend this place to anyone. Where else can you wake up, sit up from your bed and look right out on one of the most spectacular BWCA views you will ever see?

Minnesota, USA
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Clearwater Lodge is an unparalleled treasure. It doesn't take you long to understand what drew Charlie Boostrom to this location 100 years ago. And it doesn't take you long to feel the history absorb you. Every visit to Clearwater gives you a greater appreciation for what you are a part of and the beauty of your surroundings.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 25 August 2013

My husband and I just returned from our first trip to the BWCA and are already "homesick" for Clearwater Lodge. Staying here was truly like entering a different world -- one I hope to return to someday. We stayed in a standard lodge room prior to a canoe camping trip, then in a lodge suite for a few nights afterwards. Both were spotless and comfortable. The lodge room -- one of the original guest rooms -- was like a tiny piece of history, and the suite was great for cooking a tasty meal for ourselves, spreading out our gear, and just relaxing. Breakfasts here were great, and the homemade bread and pie slices available for purchase were wonderful snacks. Adam and Casey went above and beyond to answer any questions, give advice, or just chat. I do hope to return to the BWCA again someday, and wouldn't think of staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: While the lodge room was perfectly comfortable, I highly recommend a suite, particularly if you want...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Clearwater took care of us with everything we needed. It was the most stress-free experience I have had in years and really allowed everyone in our group to focus on the amazing surroundings. I had no problem portaging the Kevlar canoes and we always had more than enough to eat for every meal. I would recommend them to anyone looking to take a canoe trip in BWCA.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My research on the variuos web sites paid off to find Clearwater lodge outfitters. They did a superlative job ensureing our group had our needed geat: camping(cooking utensils, stoves, purifier, tents, great sleeping bags tarps, and thermrest pads), portaging yokes and comformtable Duluth packs and great meals for my party of 6 (my adult children and inlaws). I repeated this once in a lifetime trip I did to BWCA in 1975 with my grown children, nephew and inlaws and could not have been more pleased. The 42 lb kevlar canoes were great and the seat cushions made campsite living much more pleasant after a day of coanoeing and portaging. I have already recommended this to my other inlaws who also want to do this trip. They even facilitate all permits, licenses gave us maps so our 6 day trip went on schedule