“Good view of the lake”

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Grand Marais
Hampton, Iowa
“Good view of the lake”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We liked being in a room right next to Lake Superior and the location is great. But the Inn needs a lot of repair. The heat source in our room was not adjustable and ran much too warm. The entry door to the room did not fit tight. The exterior also needs a lot of repair. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The lobby was clean and comfortable. Joan, at the desk was very nice. The location is great, in that you have the lake on one side and can easily walk to any place downtown. We would probably stay there again, just for the convenience.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jan19762014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Be careful what you leave in your room, and hiding it won't help. We had 2 cell phones stolen from our room.When we reported it to the desk absolutely nothing happened. Also the room was filthy and the customer service was appalling. The location is wonderful but we won't be staying there again. We had to be there for 8 days. :( Very bad experience!

Room Tip: Don't go there.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Beszcome

Travellers are raving about these Grand Marais hotels

Apple Valley, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 February 2014

My girlfriend and I last summer ventured out on a road trip up the North Shore. We are 19 years old, so we were looking for location and were on a slight budget. The Inn ended up being perfect for us for the one night. You can't beat this location, right where you need to be. Front desk check in was easy, and we didn't have any troubles. We were grateful to see we were placed with a second floor lake view room. I requested one, so I believe that helped out. We couldn't get over how close we were to the lake, beautiful! The room was great, and we didn't run into any problems. The room, along with the hotel had a certain small, cozy feeling so we enjoyed that. We had a great 4th of July evening that night. Free Breakfast in the morning was great, we got to sit by the lake. Thank you Shoreline Inn for the great hospitality!

Room Tip: Second floor is ideal for a nice view on either side!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mitch M
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

We have always loved this place but it has gone downhill in every aspect but the view. Arrived late evening in October. Room temp was 56 degrees - eventually had thermostat up to 90 & room temp didn't budge. Tried calling from room phone to possibly get another room but no one answered. Ended up sleeping in our clothes to keep warm. Also found bedside clock laying on floor alongside bed; remote didn't work AT ALL; garbage from prior guest still in wastebasket; hairs in bathroom....
When we left the following morning the desk clerk was swamped so we called to complain & were cut off - our call was never returned. We then sent an email which was never replied to. Lastly sent a letter in the mail and received NO RESPONSE. Terrible way to treat a long time customer. Look elsewhere...

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank JJfromMN
minnesota
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I called to make reservations to this hotel in September. Our friends had stayed here last fall and it was an OK room, dated but seemed OK...the view is what I wanted with the deck on Lake Superior. When I called I talked to a sweet older lady who said she was the manager. I told her I was making this reservation for my elderly parents and they HAD to have a room on the first floor as my mom couldn't walk up the steps and this property has no elevator. She said this will not be a problem but we would have to move once during our stay. The first room would be facing the water with one double bed and one twin bed. Then we would have to move after 1 night to the room next door to a room with a king bed facing the water. That was all she had available. I told her that would be fun but made sure that they had to be on the first floor. Yep she had that all notes and it wouldn't be a problem. She email me the confirmation and our trip was the following week.

My family was already up in Grand Marais so I called 2 days prior to them coming to this hotel that the room would be ready on time, etc. Another lady answered the phone and said that yes they had our reservation and we are on the 2nd floor facing the city and then had to move to another room on the 2nd floor facing the city! I told her no that isn't correct and that I would like to talk to Joan who is the manager. She said she wouldn't be in until the next day and that she would have her call me. OK no problem we will get this figured out. The next day comes and she doesn't call. I walked over as we were camping close by. I saw Joan at the front desk but she was with another guest. I stood there for 5 minutes or so with no welcome, nothing, no "I will be right with you". As soon as the guest left she looked at me and said "let me just finish this up, it's all screwed up"...I told her no problem. She finally was done and came over to me. I told her that we had talked to each other a couple weeks prior and that I had a reservation for my elderly parents but I called to confirm and they were on the 2nd floor instead of the 1st floor. She looked it up and said yup they are all set for a city view on the 2nd floor for 5 nights. I told her that we had talked and that they have to be on the first floor and I have a confirmation from her. She said the confirmation is only stating that they have a room but doesn't specify what room or where. I said "you told me they were in room 110 and 106 right next to each other and they would have to move from one room to the other during they stay and they were facing Lake Superior". She said she didn't remember talking to me...

Then an elderly woman came to check out. Joan didn't acknowledge her at all. She stood there for a couple minutes and I finally said if she was just checking out she could go ahead of me! She said yes she was checking out but had some comments for the manager. Joan said "I am the manager". This elderly woman said the room as filthy and the bathroom had mold all over the shower curtain and in the corners. She said a little bleach would have gone a lone way in cleaning the rooms. Joan never apologized and said that there is nothing she could do as they do the best they can. WOW I thought this was terrible customer service coming from anyone none less the manager. Then I was up again. She said there is nothing they could do as other people already had the rooms reserved facing the water! She just told me that a confirmation is only for the room and no specific one!!! I was still calm and thought we could figure it out. Then another elderly lady came to check out. Again she stood there and was not acknowledged. At this point I could see this hotel is very poorly ran. Again I turned toward the guest and asked her if she was checking out and if she was she could go ahead of me. Joan looked at her and said if she was checking out just leave the key card and she could go. This elderly woman said OK but I have a couple comments on the room. She said that her room was so dirty, carpet old, dirty and tattered. Clumps of dust in the corners. Joan said "there is nothing I can do, the owner of this hotel if not putting any more money into it and he may tear it down to build condo's here". The guest said well I have been coming here for 40 years and it's just not the same. Joan said that the owners dad owned it prior and he kept it up well but now the son own's it and he is just letting it go. The elderly woman left.

We finally got back to my reservation and I had been here 20 minutes and had terrible service and 2 bad checkouts in a row :( Joan said she could change around a couple people and that We would have to be on the first floor city view for 1 night then move to a room with 2 double beds and a twin bed for the remainder of the nights. I told her that's fine let's get it reserved.

Before I left I couldn't hold back my feelings on this experience. I told Joan that she had just given the last 2 elderly ladies the worst service I had ever seen. I have traveled a lot and have written many reviews. Also I have been in the customer service field for 25+ years. I asked her if she had been the manager a long time or is she new? She said she worked for the Holiday Inn Companies for 30 years and she know's all about customer service and she does a great job! I told her she should have at least told these guest's that she will be right with them or that she was sorry the rooms were unclean, and sorry for the bad experience. She looked right at me and said "I am not going to sugarcoat anything for anyone"!!! We are not putting anymore money into this hotel and it is what it is! I told her she could really benefit from some customer service training. She said that's fine I have a right to my opinion. I was still very calm and just felt like I wanted to help her.
I told her thanks for her help and I would see her in a few day's when my parents came for their stay...

I left the hotel. I was so upset by the way she had treated the other guest's, hearing that the rooms were unclean, hearing how this hotel was run I was just not comfortable with my parents staying here. I walked up to the Best Wester Superior Suites. I walked in and WOW what a different experience. I asked about their availability on such late notice and they met my needs immediately with excellent customer service and friendly smiles!!

I would NOT recommend this hotel to my worst enemy (if I had one)!! I have thought about this review for a few weeks and decided that I had to write this so no one else would have to deal with this miss run hotel...stay away!!

Room Tip: Don't bother as you won't get it anyway!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank MinnesotaGeocat
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Funky little hotel right on the water and close to everything in town. Older but kept up with good sized rooms. Easy access to restaurants, galleries and shops and local sight seeing from the nearby point. I don't understand the earlier reviews about cleanliness and rude desk staff - my experience was completely satisfactory. The lady at the desk could not have been more helpful.

Room Tip: If you reserve early get a water view room. And if you can't, you'll still enjoy the view f...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Burnsville, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Reasonably priced place to stay on the north shore of Lake Superior. It is on the water, wonderful patio to have breakfast or just relax and watch waves. Was clean and comfortable, nothing fancy. Very easy walk to all restaurants, shops, and to scenic walks by the water.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the water side if available. Other rooms are on the town side and are fine.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 10 in Grand Marais
Harbor Inn Restaurant & Motel
Harbor Inn Restaurant & Motel
#6 of 10 in Grand Marais

Been to The Shoreline Inn? Share your experiences!