“A visual wonder in a setting of peace and quiet and gentile elegance.”

Naniboujou Lodge & Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 34 Restaurants in Grand Marais
Price range: US$6 - US$28
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Quiet Elegance on the North Shore of Lake Superior.
Grand Marais, Minnesota
“A visual wonder in a setting of peace and quiet and gentile elegance.”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stop for their fabulous Sunday morning brunch, cosy lunch next to MN largest stone fireplace, or a romantic dinner in the most unique lodge on Lake Superior. No phones, no cell, no television, only peace and quiet and time for yourself or with thom you want to spend intimate time. Truly the most unique lodge on Lake Superior.

Visited September 2013

prior lake mn
“nice setting for breakfast”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We dropped in for a late breakfast at the urging of my fellow traveler as he had heard about the history of the place and wanted to check it out. The place showed well from the road as in addition to the fall foliage and Lake Superior backdrop, the grounds were airy and the building interior was very bright making for a very colorful experience. I really liked the dining hall with it's large rock fireplace and the colorful paint scheme. The menus and staff provided info on the history of the place if you wished to seek it out. The hosts and wait staff were very nice and helpful. They recommended the French toast as it has a unique finish and I complied and wasn't disappointed. It was almost crunchy but very flavorful. I like sausage so tried their blueberry sausage but it wasn't really my cup of tea, a bit sweet. We finished and walked on the beach and declared our stop to be a success. I would drop by again for breakfast if in the area.

• Visited October 2013
Lakeland, Florida
“Food very good, the setting spectacular”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This is a very unusual place. Built in the 1920s as a exclusive club right on the shoreline of Lake Superior, it failed in the depression of the 1930s. Today, it has been restored and is on the National Register of Historic Places. The dining room (Great Hall) is decorated in the designs of the Cree Indians --very bright, colorful and memorable. The food and service is very good. However, the restaurant does not serve alcohol so be forewarned. Definitely recommend a dinner or brunch here.

• Visited September 2013
Minnesota
“Sunday Brunch Review”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We drove up from Grand Marais for Sunday brunch. The lodge was beautiful. Plates looked like real china with a fancy pattern. I enjoyed the brunch... quiche, scrambled eggs with cream cheese, blueberry sausage, waffles with orange cream etc. The best way to describe it is 'old people brunch'. That is not a put down though. It is a fancy-schamcy place where you drink your coffe and eat coffee cake and have a conversation. Unfortunately, I brought my 2 kids. One only ate a bite of strawberry and a piece of bacon. That is not the lodge's fault at all. I didn't really know what to expect. My mother would LOVE this place. I loved the history. Also it was a titch expensive. $53 plus tip for me and 2 kids.

• Visited October 2013
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
“Want for it to succeed.”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Naniboujou dining a 'must stop' during our annual trip to North Shore. Last year, walleye was sublime, this year, not so much.
My wife and the couple we were with ordered Amish chicken, that all of them uniformly reported was "overcooked, very dry."
My walleye, while overcooked, was edible. Disappointing.

Visited October 2013