Thomsonite Beach Inn & Suites
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Aspen Inn(Grand Marais)
View Hotel
Feather Nest Inn(Grand Marais)
View Hotel
The Shoreline Inn(Grand Marais)
View Hotel
East Bay Suites(Grand Marais)
Spruceglen Inn(Grand Marais)
Aspen Lodge(Grand Marais)
View Hotel
All reviewson the rocksprivate deckfire pitnorth shorelake superiorpounding surfcascade river state parklutsen mountainhiking spotscoffee makersmall fridgehidden treasuretwo harborssmall table and chairsqueen bedstayed two nightswell maintained and clean
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 September 2012

My wife and I stayed in unit 2 overnight a few weeks ago. The owners were very helpful, the room was just what we wanted, clean and comfortable, for a price that was very reasonable, reflecting its rustic homey-ness. It had a small refrigerator, a very good bed, a table to play cards on and a great view of Lake Superior. The back yard bordered on the lakeshore in all its dynamic beauty. We would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Thomsonite Beach Inn is located right on the edge of Lake Superior with rocky cliffs and gorgeous views of the Lake. We had Unit 6 which had two beds and a fold out couch. Well-laid out kitchenette and nice bathroom.Conveniently located 6 miles from Grand Marais and next to Cutface Creek beach where you can rock hunt all day long. At night there are two fire pits to use and lots of benches. Only downside of our stay was the group that took over the fire pits for obnoxious sing-a-longs. Guess I'm an old curmudgeon but I prefer to hear the waves and loon calls instead of renditions of Jefferson Airplane and Johnny Cash. Otherwise, I would definitely recommend this place and will stay here again. Check out the thomsonite collection in the office.

Room Tip: Unit 6 has very partial views of lake but is roomy and comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2012

My husband and I stayed in Unit 3 for a week in June as a home base during our day hikes of the North Shore region. Our room offered a beautiful view of the lake and surrounding woods. On stormier days, the pounding surf could even be heard from our living room. The room itself, though not fancy, was clean and comfortable. The owner (we only met Lee) was kind and helpful. I appreciated that she gave us space but let us know she was available if we needed anything.

I do have a few recommendation for improvement/advice to future travelers. First of all, the resort's website gave us the false impression that we would be in a separate cabin. I was very disappointed to arrive and see that our unit was part of one big building. After reviewing the website, I see that though the unit is never explicitly described as a separate building or cabin, it is never described as part of a larger building either. This in not a major problem, though you can expect to hear others having conversations or running water from time to time. I also wish that there were just a few extra touches in the cabin in case of rainy weather that hinders visitors' plans. It rained a good portion of our visit, and I would've really appreciated a few extra books (beyond the three in the room), puzzles, games, or TV stations (only 5 random channels were available). Obviously, with better weather, this wouldn't have been a concern.

Bottom line: nice accommodations and view, reasonable price, lacking those finishing touches.

Room Tip: A couple of the units were a separate cabin but I don't recall their numbers.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We stayed here as part of a ski package through Lutsen. The owners are super nice, and very accommodating. We decided (last minute) to change our dates, and they were more than happy to oblige. The view of Lake Superior is fantastic, and I could see this being an above average spot in the summer. However, the room was nothing overly special. Slightly dated and the bed was hard (although that's a personal preference). I would say you are getting what you pay for; modest price yields modest accommodations. But definitely clean, cozy and good location if you don't mind driving 15 min to Lutsen and 5 min to Grand Marais for food/activities.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tracey M
Reviewed 22 December 2011

It reminded me of places I would stay at with my parents in the '50s. It was reasonably clean and rather spartan. It has a beautiful beach--but beware Cape Coders, most of Lake Superior's beaches are rocky, not sandy. The lodge is about 5 minutes drive from Grand Marias.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family