“One Star Hotel with Four Star Prices”
Review of East Bay Suites

East Bay Suites
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Grand Marais
Reviewed 6 October 2007

I would have to concur with the previous posting that stated that East Bay Suites is a three star, more like one star, condo/hotel with four star prices. Prior to reserving the “Grand Suite”, the Manager and I discussed that the suite had a fireplace and an elegant modern interior. He discounted the suite by 15% and then stated, “The grand suite is the best room in the house and after your stay with use, I’m certain that you’ll want to stay with us again!” I wrongfully assumed that the fireplace was gas. Instead it’s a fake fireplace lit by an electric bulb. Instead of elegant modern furniture, pictured on the East Bay Website, the suite was an eclectic mixture of log furniture and low end warehouse furniture. The couches were soiled and stained. The ottoman and area rugs were stained. There was half eaten food left in the refrigerator and in the cupboard. The floor had not been cleaned from the previous owner or guests stay. The glass stovetop hadn’t been cleaned in quiet sometime and there were cobwebs all over the suite. The bed comforters were stained and the stowed comforters had a pungent musty smell. Because I was concerned, I asked the manager if they were aware of these issues because I was afraid that I would be charged for damages to the suite. The manager said that he was aware that the suite was damaged, acted like it was no big deal, and said that I would not be charged. No effort was made to clean the room.
In the hotel guest manual, it states that “Upon check-in you’ll be asked for your housekeeping preferences. A daily includes trash removal, bed made, and fresh towels if they’re lying on the floor….” During the first two days of our stay the housekeeping staff did not clean the suite. On the third day, I posted the “Please Service” sign on the door. The housekeeping staff did picked up the dirty towels and took out a small bag of trash. They left the beds unmade and didn’t vacuum the floor. Because the housekeeper was next door I opened up my suite door only to hear him cursing profanities about the guests that had just checked out of the suite - something about soap all over the bath tub. I ignored his derogatory expletives and asked him if he was going to clean my suite. He informed me that three days was not long enough to get the bed sheets changed. It then became apparent that he was not going to clean the suite either. I proceeded to ask him for toilet paper, bath soap, and bath towels. I also asked if I could use the vacuum cleaner. I vacuumed and cleaned the suite. I returned the vacuum cleaner and asked for a couple of flat fitted sheets and draped them over the couches. Unfortunately, housekeeping never cleaned the suite or exchanged the bed linen during my week long stay.
Don’t get me started about the dishwasher that doesn’t wash dishes or the lack of utensils and cookware or about the dirty bathtub or the unsecured vestibule door or the numerous stains on the hallway and elevator carpeting or about the satellite dish that works intermittently.
The view from the suite is spectacular and the most of the staff seem nice but I’ve gotten better service at an inexpensive motel. Overall, East Bay Suites is overpriced and not a good value for the price point and I would not recommend this establishment. I would have left early but I did not want to lose my deposit of $257.00 and be charged the 15% weekly discount due to early cancellation.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
14  Thank Timothy1

Reviewed 8 August 2007

My girlfriend and I just love Grand Marais, and usually camp in the Municipal Campground in town while we're there. We decided to try one of the many hotels available in the area this time around, even though they all seemed way overpriced.

We found the East Bay website and rented a one-bedroom for 3 nights, with a Lake view, which cost about $250 a night (the 4-star downtown Mpls. Radisson charges about that much). Even though we thought it smacked a bit of price-gouging, we figured the pics were beautiful, they had a kitchen and washer and dryer in the suite, so we took a chance.

The room was great, the staff was friendly, the view was beautiful, but the room was very hot and stuffy. On inquiring about how to turn the A/C on, we were told (to our dismay) that the room didn't have it. $250 a night and no A/C? Wow.

The only way to cool the place down was to leave our front door wide open to get a cross-breeze. They also volunteered to send up a fan, which was one of the small rotating variety. So, provided we were okay with a noisy fan drowning out the sounds of the Lake and no privacy, we were more or less comfortable.

There's no pool or hot tub on site, no complimentary breakfast, you even have to walk around town to try and find a newspaper if you want one. We also found that several of the channels weren't functioning, and some others would work for brief periods and then disappear. It seems all the TVs are connected to a somewhat flaky Dish Network receiver located in the front office.

My advice? Don't stay at East Bay during peak season - it's hottest and most expensive then. And also don't count on the TV - bring lots of other things to do with you. I've stayed at places that were much more consistent in their service with similar amenities for much cheaper. It's definitely not worth $250 a night - if the room cost less, say $150 a night, I'd have no complaints, and would have given it a better review and rating. But beware - this is a 3-star hotel at a 4-star price.

We actually had a better time camping at the municipal campground in town, the tent stayed cool, there were indoor showers we could use, a pool and hot tub available on-site at no extra cost, we could actually hear the waves crashing on the Lake, we had privacy, they even throw in a free round of golf at the local golf course, and it's only $25 a night. Like East Bay, you still have to get your own paper, find your own breakfast, and cook your own meals, but you have a lot more cash in your pocketbook to do so!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
11  Thank raybait
Reviewed 5 August 2007

We just loved Grand Marais and the East Bay Suites. I am hesitant to say too much good about this property for fear that I will never be able to get a room here! I have rarely stayed somewhere that was exactly as described on the hotel web site. The decor is modern and comfortable. Everything was impeccably clean. We stayed in 306 and the view was spectacular. The staff are wonderful! I travel extensively and have stayed in some very nice places and I can't say enough good about this place--I am very particular. A wonderful experience!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Grommit7
Reviewed 17 June 2007

After booking a family suite at the Aspen Lodge online, check-in was rather disappointing. The rooms were just worn and tired looking. We decided not to stay. Drove around the block to the East bay Suites, best decision of the trip! We were helped by Betsey, who made us feel right at home. The suite was phenomenal! Beautifully appointed and a great view from the balcony.

We felt at home here, everything was comfortable and cozy. The Aveda products were a nice touch. The beds were super comfortable and the fireplace warmed us nicely. We fell asleep listening to the surf on the lake.

I highly recommend this place to any traveler.

It cost $20 more than the Aspen. Well worth every penny. We found our home away from home in the East Bay Suites.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
6  Thank lucky33
Reviewed 5 June 2007

we came down on a sunday night for a little getaway. Really nice amenities (aveeda products, soaking tub, huge shower) and awesaome view. Kitchen was really nice and fully equpped. Only thing I didn't like was the cancellation policy which is very restrictive) but if you can live with it this is a lovely get away.

5  Thank elsier33
Reviewed 10 May 2007

Our family (kids ages 4,7,9) has loved staying at the new East Bay Suites! (We've been there three times in the past year!) The spacious two bedroom, two bath condo/suite we stayed in couldn't have accomodated our family better.

If you have never been to Grand Marais I highly recommend it. It’s like being at the sea at a quaint seaside village with great restaurants, shops and outdoor activities. The four hour drive up there from St. Paul/Minneapolis is beautiful once you hit Duluth.

Our three young boys have a ball jumping on the rocks at Artist Point, scaling the huge boulder walls and collecting stones along the beach, looking for otters frolicking in the bay, hiking at the multitude of parks and waterfalls nearby, skiing in winter, visiting the old-fashioned Ben Franklin, the bookstore and pizza place “Sven and Ole’s”. We love the beautiful new suites right on the beach in downtown-- East Bay Suites. As a family, having a full kitchen and two bedrooms/bathrooms is awesome! The extremely well-decorated rooms (we stayed in 101- corner unit that walks right out onto the beach) are outfitted with family books and games, and the great staff loan videos and will even shuttle us to Lutsen other other area attractions for free in the funky little blue East Bay Suites bus. When it’s time to leave we always have to encounter a chorus of whining because they don’t want to go, but it’s all worth it. It has become a new family tradition.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
7  Thank MNCapitalT
Reviewed 11 April 2007

Beautiful modern apt. style property.
Decorated wonderfully.
Right on the water, you can hear the waves at night.
The beds were very comfortable!
Nice touch having AVEDA products in bathrooms.
Everything very clean, would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
Caribou Highlands Lodge
Aspen Inn
Aspen Inn
#6 of 10 in Grand Marais

Been to East Bay Suites? Share your experiences!