“Great Place, Great Staff”
Review of Aspen Lodge

Aspen Lodge
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Grand Marais
Reviewed 24 November 2009

Every year we pass thru Grand Marais on our way home from fishing in Canada. We have stayed at the Aspen many times and always enjoyed it. This past trip, with just 3 of us looking for a comfortable room for the night, we stayed in the Spruce Glen Inn next door. The Aspen Lodges office runs this also. We got clean, comfortable rooms at a good rate.

I cannot say enough about the staff at the Aspen this year. They are very friendly and helpful, well above and beyond the expected. The thing that really makes them stand out is that I left my favorite jacket at the restaurant across the highway from the hotel after eating supper there the night before we checked out. The restaurant did not open till 11 the next day and we had to be on the road by 7am. Not sure where I had left it, Beth at the front desk gave me the restaurants phone number to call them from the road and said that if it was there just have them bring it over and the hotel would send it to me. Well, it was there when I called, but they did not know if anyone there could run it over to the hotel or not. I called back to Beth at the Aspen and she says sure, we can have someone get it from the restaurant. 1 week later I got my jacket in the mail. What more can I say! Wonderful staff and thank you Beth!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 September 2009

We had a nice room overlooking the lake. Look on their website for internet special rates. The service was excellent, friendly and helpful. It is located just a very short walk from town. Breakfast is OK and there is a nice pool, whirlpool and deck which is a pleasure after a long day. There is an IGA just down the street which has the best deals on local smoked fish. You must eat at the Angry Trout.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2009

We were thrilled to make our first trip to this part of Minnesota, and discover such a family friendly hotel in a wonderful town. We took advantage of a special "stay 4 nights and get the 5th free" offer, from July 4-9th. Coming from Charleston, South Carolina, home of Southern Hospitality and friendliness, from the time I spent on the phone booking our stay, to the information I received about 4th of July fireworks and the Gunflint Trail, the staff couldn't have been nicer. Beth, the Front Desk Manger, in particular, went out of her way to suggest great activities for the children, and gave us a beautiful 3rd floor room with a lakeview, knowing it was our first visit there. I needed to have my car serviced during our stay and her help was invaluable. Our room was a very good size, and immaculate each day when we returned from our adventures. The breakfast buffet was very good with a nice variety of food and fruit. It could get a little tight quarters if you went to eat at the wrong time, but the breakfast room itsself was bright and lovely. I vacationed there with my 3 children, ages, 11, 9 and 7 and they are begging to go back next summer!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Beachmother
Reviewed 2 August 2009

I have stayed at Aspen Lodge over 5 times in the last 8 months. At each visit I have been greated with smiles and kindness. The staff makes this place home. Those improvements alone will keep me coming there.
The rooms have improved greatly with new pillows and they are always clean. Cleaning is my business so I am particular. The pool area is also nicer with the hot tub being hotter and the pool being cleaner.
I would recommend this hotel above many others in the area.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 July 2009

I had good expierences the past 2 years. Clean rooms and swimming facilites were great. Freindly workers.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2009

This hotel has become trashy over the past 6 years. The carpets were incredibly filthy, mold on the bathroom ceiling, mildew on the shower curtain, pool was green and colder than Superior with the hot tub hot enough to give you 3rd degree burns. After being a faithful guest for over 6 years, I'd rather spend $1000 a night elsewhere than to subject myself to the filth at this hotel. Gross.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
AspenLodge, Front Desk Manager at Aspen Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2009

Aspen Lodge is a fairly new property (1995). We have a wonderful pool, sauna, hot tub area (it does need repainting and is on the maintenance schedule for this fall). In was just completely inspected and passed with flying colors. The pool/hot tub temperature is set at regulatory 82/104 degrees. We follow the standard set by the state (they actually say it should be set at 78/102 degrees). Chemical balance is checked and adjusted daily.

Our rooms are all lake facing with a view of the beautiful harbor (with the exception of the first floor level). The coffee is always on in our family friendly lobby and just waiting for you to sit back and relax or enjoy our complimentary continental breakfast. All of our spacious rooms come with a refrigerator and hair dryer 2 queen beds or one king. We also have specialty rooms with Jacuzzi tubs or larger rooms for bigger families and a conference room, if needed. The mattresses are standard bed mattresses; well maintained and comfortable. We have complimentary wi-fi available in most rooms and a hospitality computer in the lobby.

We also offer smoking and pet friendly rooms in our more economical motel units. These are older, more “quaint” (smaller) rooms that accommodate up to three people.

Our rooms are cleaned and then quality checked after every check out and again before someone checks into a room. Twice a year we go through and thoroughly inspect each and every room. We've got a running maintenance schedule that is checked daily.

Our staff prides itself in giving our guests everything they need to make their stay more enjoyable. This can be a difficult feat on busy weekends during the summer, when we are completely full but we still smile and do what we can to make it the best stay possible.

We promise that you will enjoy your stay and that you will want to return again and again.

Reviewed 14 August 2007

We stayed here 2 nights. It was a fine place for our purpose. We needed a place to sleep after hiking all day. The room was clean and the beds were your typical hotel beds. Nothing spectacular but comfortable enough to sleep on. We were on the third floor so we did have a view of Lake Superior. We were close enough to walk to the center of town. The pool area was clean and the water was a good temperature. The desk staff was very helpful for restaurant advice and suggestions for tourist type things. The continental breakfast was very basic with only bagels, and a pan of grocery store danish rolls. No fruit or cereal. I don't feel there was any smell in the room but we were in a non-smoking room. I would not want to stay here for a long time but it was fine for our purpose.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
Aspen Inn
#6 of 10 in Grand Marais
19 mi away
Caribou Highlands Lodge

Been to Aspen Lodge? Share your experiences!