“A great little place to eat”

Harbor House Grille
Ranked #2 of 36 Restaurants in Grand Marais
Price range: US$7 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, View, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Located in the quaint harbor village of Grand Marais, Minnesota, on Lake Superior's beautiful North Shore, the Harbor House Grille is a cozy neighborhood restaurant serving up tasty handcrafted meals, using fresh & seasonal ingredients. Offering Beer, Wine, Spirits & Flavor!
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We were at Harbor House on July 4. Each member of our group ordered a different entrée, and all were delicious! We stayed and watched the fireworks show from the porch while eating and enjoying coffee - the perfect cap to one of our best vacations ever.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

After reading the reviews, we were prepared to like this place. Maybe it was just a bad night for them. Everything looked good - the dining room feels spacious yet intimate, the presentation of the food is very nice, and the service was attentive. Unfortunately, all three of our servers seemed mad about something. The timing was off: we were still working on an appetizer when the main dishes arrived, and the bread came five minutes after that. Odd. The fish of the day was forgettable, and the marsala sauce tasted like gravy made from a packet. The ravioli were dough-y, and the filling was pedestrian. The coffee was watery. After all that, I was ready for a yummy dessert, but the lovely-looking chocolate cake was only marginally better than one from a grocery store bakery. It didn't seem worth the calories. The meal was more expensive than our other dinners in Grand Marais, and it definitely didn't seem worthwhile. Maybe it would be better on a different night, but I doubt we'll be back.

1  Thank Vivianne G
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I was very impressed with this establishment...why?...they had gluten free menu...that from where I live is a big plus...but aside from that...It is a place with a great view if you sit outside and ponder. The pizza I ordered came with many topping choices and was very good...It was a treat for me...as if I want a GF pizza where I live I have to make myself...The service was wonderful and I was impressed with the whole establishment.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Being our 1st time there we were excited. While the outside seating (which was cold when we were there so we chose inside) has great views we couldn't wonder what was wrong with the service.
Others who came later than us got their food quicker. We waited an hour. When we asked the waitress how much longer on our pizzas she said "shouldn't be much longer they only take 3 minutes to make!" We were speechless. I asked the manager and he was an older woman who seemed to laugh it off with barely an apology and no offer of a discount. It was July 4th and we said it's getting so late we may miss the fireworks she responded to us "they don't start till 10" as if we had all the time in the the world. To top it off my wife got her pizza an hour later with the toppings she said she didn't want and told our waitress this 2 times to make sure.
What has happened to peoples listening skills and the art of customer service? It seems to us that a number of places on the north shore have lost that. After all this I wasn't impressed with my pizza either. Vitta's in Duluth crushes theirs.

1  Thank BongoDrums
cindylou159, Owner at Harbor House Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your review of your 4th of July visit to Harbor House Grille. I can assure you that our Harbor House Family cares very much about each of our guests and offer our sincere apologies that your visit did not meet your expectations. We take great pride in our food and our customer service and will be sure to share your comments with the manager.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We order carry out, since we travel with our pet, and food has always been tasty and hot. They even give a terrific bright yellow cloth bag in which to "carry out" ones food. The staff is friendly and the food selection is quite varied to anyone's taste.