“Order the banana dessert!”
Review of Crooked Spoon Cafe

Crooked Spoon Cafe
Ranked #4 of 36 Restaurants in Grand Marais
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Just made my second visit to the Crooked Spoon last week and ordered the banana dessert again. Thought there was no way it could have been as good as I remembered from last year, but it was! Bananas caramelized with an amazing crisp sugar coating, complimented by a perfectly creamy vanilla ice cream, salty rum sauce and crunchy toffee pieces - it's truly hard to believe how delicious this dish is.

Also had the ribs, which I'd read quite a bit about here. They were perfectly cooked - tender but with a tiny bit of chew. While I was eager to try the coffee bbq sauce, I thought it was lacking something - maybe a little sweetness or a touch of some warm spice like cinnamon or cardamom? Or maybe I'm just used to a sweeter bbq sauce.

Do plan to arrive early for dinner. We got on the list at about 7pm and they were turning people away shortly after that.

1  Thank KristenRaeWI

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We went in for dessert and a quick drink in July. The desserts were out of this world! A meal in itself! I had a Semifreddo with homemade marshmallow on top that was toasted. SO amazing! It was like a giant S'more! My husband had the largest piece of carrot cake I have ever seen!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

The food and service are both awesome! It can be a little bit pricey at dinner, but it is so worth it. The French Onion Soup and Caramelized Banana Brulee are heavenly!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is our 2nd year traveling through Grand Marais en route to the Boundary Waters and each year it is a "must stop and have lunch" at The Crooked Spoon. The food is great and we have never had to wait very long for a seat. Service is very friendly and very efficient. I love to hear the young blond lady talk with her European accent. It makes me realize how far I am away from home but I feel even further when she speaks and it makes our dining even more pleasant. I love this little town and this is definitely a Grand little place that I look forward to visiting each year❤️

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Lovely little gem of a place that we've heard so much "foodie" chat about but had never experienced. Welcomed heartily on a Tuesday, I had the Fresh Fish of the day sandwich which happened to be fresh caught Lake Superior Herring. I had it broiled and it came on grilled Ciabatta with red onions, lettuce, tomato and some nice aoili. My sister splurged on the Lamb Meatballs with feta in some nummy sauce (not overbearing). We also shared a salad with port soaked pears and dried bing cherries with goat cheese (too much on serving) with a light balsamic vinegarette that was utterly perfect! Service was good and they could even recommend a massage therapist in town for my back that was currently going out from the motel bed the night before. All in all a wonderful delight and we'll surely be back, probably this week as there were more delights on the menu that intrigued us! BTW, we found the bathroom to be one of the nicest we've been to in recent times in a restaurant. Kudos to your staff.