“Great Stay !”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Grand Marais
Buxton, North Dakota
“Great Stay !”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Spent the last week-end of September in the Grand Marais area to view the changing of the leaves. The Best Western was a perfect home base for us. Quick and easy check in. We reserved a suite room that included a fireplace, hot tub and steam shower. Great amenities, but by far the best feature of the room was the lake side patio. We kept the door open during the evening and were relaxed by the sound of the waves coming into shore. Most importantly for me regarding the room ... CLEAN AND A FANTASTIC BED!!! We found out that this property is owned by the same couple who operate The Lodge in Detroit Lakes, another favorite of ours.

A must see is the Devil's Kettle that is north of Grand Marais. Across the road from the park is a wonderful lodge to have a "Hiker's Lunch". Food was wonderful during the week-end. While the Best Western provides donuts from the Worlds Best Donut shop, it is well worth your time to go down to the shop yourself and get them fresh and hot. Great pizza at Sven & Ole's. My Sister's Place is nice for lunch and for supper the Crooked Spoon.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get a Corner Suite.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BoomBoomKK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

We were pleasantly surprised by the hotel. Very clean, spacious rooms, great views. Would stay again. Only complaint is that not every one likes or wants the breakfast included in the room price. Really nice location, not in the center of town but can easily walk to all the location restaurants and shops.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Peaches60
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We recently stayed at the hotel and were impressed by the gorgeous views of Lake Superior, The rooms are recently updated and they are comfy and beautifully decorated. The showers are fully tiled very tastefully and the shower was great with different settings. We left the window open all night and could hear the waves pound against the shore. It was a great few days!

Room Tip: I would get a suite if you have the $$$ - they look amazing :)
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank baseballmom11_10
Chicago
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Grand Marais is my favorite little town in the Midwest. I'm here a lot. And, we always stay at the Best Western (which, apparently, is now a Best Western Plus, whatever that means). In fact, I've been staying here at least once a year for 13 years. You would think that they would recognize me after all that time. I get the sense that Best Western computer systems don't link together. I never even know if my frequent traveler points matter. Compared to some other mid-range hotels, this is a problem.

All that said, the rooms (see my room tip) here are lovely and spacious with a microwave, refrigerator, air conditioning (which is becoming more and more important in Grand Marais) and a really decent shower. (The breakfast is average at best, but I'm not in GM for the breakfast. I eat my toast or yogurt and move on.)

During our most recent stay, the Internet was down for 2.5 days, which was rather annoying. I had hoped for a bit of a room discount since we ended up having to pay for access in the harbor area. (The rooms here are not cheap and are double the cost of those off the lake.) And, even though it sounds like it wasn't the fault of the hotel, they could have been more proactive in keeping the guests informed as to what was going on.

But the real reason I'm ranking this four stars instead of five is that the desk workers have become surly. I don't know if it is because it was a crowded weekend or because the Internet was down, but, boy howdy, they wouldn't crack a smile if you filled their laps with money.

Room Tip: If you want the full lake view, don't book in the John Beargrease wing. There are lovely rooms t...
Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Our room was on the lake shore side of the hotel. Great clean room with a great view of Lake Superior. Woke up every morning to the sound of seagulls (which I loved) & walking distance from downtown Grand Marais. About a 30 to 40 minute drive to the Isle Royale National Park ferries in the town of Grand Portage. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again our next trip to this scenic town.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We stayed here a couple of years ago and thought it was a very nice place: clean, comfortable, nice staff, terrific location, beautiful view, but maybe a little dated. When we returned last week and opened the door to our room..Holy cow! It had ben beautifully refurbished! So pretty, I even took pictures to show people. It was still comfortable, still had the same nice staff and terrific location, beautiful view, same level of cleanliness and care, and a gorgeous room to boot. No doubt where we'll be staying next year at Grand Marais!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel (on the water) and on an upper floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We were traveling as a group to Windigo, Isle Royale NP and decided to stay here instead of in Grand Portage based on reviews of what was available in Grand Portage. My room was clean, spacious and quiet. I loved the view from my room of Lake Superior. I also liked that I could just walk a few steps down the hall and be on the beach. The staff was very friendly during our stay. I was surprised, though, that they only had 1 washing machine and 1 dryer for the entire facility. Breakfast was fine, although seating was somewhat limited. You are within easy walking distance for a variety of restaurants for lunch and dinner.
When I return to the area, I won't hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
#6 of 10 in Grand Marais
Aspen Inn
Aspen Inn
#8 of 10 in Grand Marais

Been to BEST WESTERN Plus Superior Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!