“Wonderful Getaway”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Grand Marais
Ontario
“Wonderful Getaway”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I was looking for a romantic night away and I found everything I needed here. The King Suite with steam shower was absolutely incredible. With a balcony looking out over Lake Superior, a jacuzzi tub and a luxurious king bed, we had everything we needed. Yet this hotel room offered so much more. A flat screen TV was mounted on the wall above an elegant gas fireplace, right in front of the bed, for added ambiance. The decor was beautiful with attention to detail throughout. The most amazing feature, though, was the Steam Shower. I had never seen anything like it and now want one of my own. There were five shower heads, a bar with two heads on each side of the shower, as well as a rain shower head in the middle. The built in bench was wonderful when using steam. You could use the Shower Steam feature, which got as hot as 105 degrees Fahrenheit or the Wrinkle Free feature, which was 150 degrees Fahrenheit. It was an amazing experience and my favourite part of the room. The free breakfast was very good, with scrambled eggs, scrambled eggs with bacon pieces mixed in, hard boiled eggs, sausages, ham, pancakes, ,yogurt, fruit, muffins, bagels, toast, juice, coffee. The staff at the front desk attended to our needs quickly and efficiently. The only downfall was the noise in the room above us, as we were on the bottom floor but perhaps to be expected with whirlpool tubs. I would return here in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Splurge for the Steam Shower Room. Well worth it!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sel8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
minnesota
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

My elderly parents were coming up to Grand Marais in October. I originally had reservations at "The Shoreline" because some friends had stayed there last year and we thought it was a good location and reasonable. Well that is another story which I will write a review on and I would never recommend "The Shoreline" to anyone! Now onto this WONDERFUL place! I went in upset after leaving The Shoreline. I walked in and was immediately greeted by a friendly man who turned out to be the manager. I told him that story that I needed a handicapped room on the first floor for my parents and wanted a good view. He said not a problem we can put them right close to the front breakfast area, great view on the first floor, but the hotel is on a hill so they were on the 2nd floor when you look out the backside of the hotel. It was a little more expensive but it was SO worth it!

I checked in my parents 2 day's later and we got to their room close to the main entrance/breakfast area/lobby. WOW what a room! Beautiful view! Large deck overlooking Lake Superior. You can just hear the waves crashing. Huge bathroom with all nice Travertine or ceramic tile, separate vanity which was very large, two queen beds, table with two chairs and two other chairs with an ottoman! SO clean. I have stayed at many 4/5 star hotels and this was 5 stars in my opinion!

When you walk into the lobby, directly to the left is the breakfast area. What a nice breakfast! Egg's, sausage, ham, pancakes from an automatic pancake maker, toast, bagels, Worlds Best Donuts, oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, muffins, milk, juice, anything you would want and all good fresh options!

In the lobby they have a coffee station with 3 kinds of coffee, an assortment of coffee flavors you can add to coffee, cream, flavored cream, lemon ice water full at all times, and tea of your choice all complimentary. All kinds of nice brochures for your reading pleasure.

All the staff were absolutely wonderful the entire stay which was 5 days. This area in Grand Marais in the fall is spectacular. I would not stay anywhere else but here. We were so pleased with this hotel we could not say enough good things about it.

On our last night it was my Birthday. We met up with my parents in the breakfast area and had cake that we brought in. Just a beautiful spot to sit. All new and updated and I am very picky about hotels.

The other nice thing was the nice amenities. They had "Bee Kind" bath products that were amazing!

I just can't say enough wonderful things about this place. I would recommend this to anyone! Enjoy your stay!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MinnesotaGeocat
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

This is a great priced hotel.. My third visit here and as always I was very satisfied. I must add that the self serve breakfast was superb.. Keep up the great work!!! Will for sure be back here soon. For the view it's hard to beat this location. East bay suites next door shares this view and is a bit more upmarket but horrendously expensive. This is a great choice for a clean comfortable stay.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Appin_Alba
Superior, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stay here every October for a few days with my wife. The place is right on Lake Superior and the views are stunning! Grand Marais is a quant little town with great shops and restuarants. The people are very friendly as well. A GREAT weekend getaway!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

2 Thank Troy K
Conroy, United States
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We have been staying at this hotel for 20 years. Always a great experience. Beautiful views of Lake Superior! Rooms are lovely. Alot of updates over the years. Relaxing destination. Perfect for families and even better for girl trips!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

2 Thank Ladonna S
Bristol
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

This is a superb lake front hotel which has been recently renovated - our room was absolutely superb with a fantastic shower/steam room and a jacuzzi bath. The bed was perfect and the breakfast simple but excellent.

It's not cheap but then it is by the lake - and it is 100 metres from the small artistic town of Grand Marais. I recommend it.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Michaelbristol
Shoreview
Reviewed 25 October 2013

when placing our reservation we requested a 2nd floor...when we arrived the couple before us did not have a reservation...they were given a second floor room...we were told the 2nd and third floors rooms were full...therefore only a first floor room was available

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

#6 of 10 in Grand Marais
Aspen Inn
Aspen Inn
#7 of 10 in Grand Marais

Been to Best Western Plus Superior Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!