Best Western Plus Superior Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Grand Marais
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Whenever I was in the bathroom it had very bad lighting. I could not see a thing. We did smell a lot of dog odor especially in the hallway. Dogs from owners staying at the hotel and other people were letting their dogs use the grassy area at the hotel. The décor was quite dated for the cost of the room.

Room Tip: Outdated for the cost
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Superior Inn & Suites

Reviewed 13 July 2014

The owner?/manager obviously takes pride in his establishment. Everything was clean and in good condition. There was one little oversight. A half-full can of beer was left in the room. However, I'm sure the maid just forgot to remove it at the last second because the room had obviously been well-cleaned. Nice modern bathroom. We had a balcony room overlooking the lake which would have been wonderful if the weather had cooperated. Some mentioned leaving the window open at night to hear the waves but the seagulls screeching was too much for us. We did not take advantage of breakfast but the coffee bar in the lobby looked good--a lot of options. The bed linens and pillows were nice and clean. Bedside plug-ins for cell phones were appreciated. "No pets allowed" rooms are available if that is your preference.

Room Tip: A second floor room with a balcony is preferable.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bubbletone
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Couldn't have been a better experience. Room was ready and waiting, senior citizen accessible and dog friendly at this location. Hot breakfast with friendly attendant there to help or answer questions

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This ended up being a great stay, after switching rooms. The views, friendly staff, and great breakfast make this hotel a winner. The gentlemen at the front desk were two of the nicest, most helpful, friendliest folks that I've ever met at a hotel. They set the gold standard for this hotel, they must have been the owners. If not, they should be.

I was in beautiful Grand Marais for a photo shoot and this hotel looked like the nicest one in town and had great reviews, so it was my choice. I always (always, always, ALWAYS) ask for a top floor room in wood-framed hotels because of the noise of people pounding on the floor above with their heels; whether they mean to do that or not, it's more than I can take after long days of driving or being on a photo shoot. They seemed to not have a top floor room, so I took what I could get. All was well for the first couple of hours and then it hit; literally. The Flying Walendas must have taken the room above mine; wow. Bang, bang, bang.. there was no way that was going to work. I would have to change rooms or get another hotel. Luckily, they had a cancellation and they now had a top floor room, and, it was fabulous! The view was the same; a gorgeous, full view of Lake Superior just steps away, but now there was no pounding on the ceiling. I lucked out on that one. There was zero noise or sound from adjacent rooms.

Everything else about this hotel was a winner, in my opinion. The location was perfect, literally right next door to the fantastic Cook County Whole Foods Co-op, my go-to place in town for coffee and lunch. It's only about a block from the rest of downtown and is adjacent to a SuperAmerica gas station and across the street from a couple of grocery stores and quite a few great restaurants. The breakfast had everything a person could want, and they even had a great selection of good coffee and tea. There was a nice hot tub and the whole place was as clean as a 5-star hotel. The rooms have been freshly-updated with super nice beds and thick towels, nice, boutique soaps and shampoos, a big, flat-screen tv with a ton of channels. And, the view.. that's the clincher. The bathtub was a little slippery, so be careful of that when showering, but other than that, this hotel is a winner (if you have quiet folks staying above you). I highly recommend this great hotel.

Room Tip: By all means, ask for a top floor room to avoid the pounding from the room above. In wood-framed ho...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ScottyG777
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Had a nice stay in the hotel. Easy access right off of 61, waking distance to downtown, and a gas station. Clean rooms, good breakfast. The view from the room was WONDERFUL! Also, both my boyfriend and I thought the shower was amazing! Would stay here again if in the area.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We only stay at the Best Western in Grand Marais. The rooms all face the lake. We get a room with a balcony so we can sit outside. The rooms are comfortable and the staff are kind and helpful. The rooms are clean and updated.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We booked 2 nights here so we could explore along the North Shore. We arrived early and asked Sue at the front desk if we can leave our little trailer in order to start exploring. She directed us to a little lot the hotel has for such items. We parked our trailer then decided to ask if our room happened to be available. I went back into the lobby and saw they had a water dispenser with ice and slices of lemon next to the coffee. (Later it had sliced orange). Sue checked and our room was ready! We chatted for a bit while she handled our check in. The room was on the 2nd floor with a nice balcony with a lovely view of the lake. The room was very clean, the beds comfortable.

The next morning I stopped at the front desk to ask if our rewards were applied. Sue said "room 209, correct?" Wow! What a memory! There was a slight problem finding us since the rewards program was set up under the wrong name. I got my card number and went back. She was kind enough to print a copy of my welcome letter so I could call and get it corrected.

Breakfast has a lot of different options: eggs, sausage or Canadian bacon, pancakes, cereal, muffins, yogurt, oatmeal, bagels, donuts.... My husband loved the coffee. It was probably the best hotel coffee we ever tried. They even had our favorite creamers.

Our stay was so wonderful we decided to add another day. I called the front desk and spoke to Chuck. He said our room (and room type) was booked but he had a room the was a "little bigger" available for a slight increase. We decided to take it. They even offered to move rooms for us if we pack everything up. We did not need that. The new room was in the "Beargrease" section. You can't get a cart there because the set up is in between floors but that wasn't a problem for us. It was amazing! The bathroom was large with a full sink counter. The set was elegant. There was even a light up table mirror. When the lights were off the counter had "under lighting" - better then a night light. There was an additional large sink / counter in the main room. Unlike the first room there was a little sitting area with 2 comfortable chairs and an ottoman near the balcony. The only complaint? It was farther from the lobby and the yummy coffee / chilled water!

Sue, Chuck and Tory at the front desk was all so nice and helpful. Definitely 5 star service! In fact the rest of the staff was very nice. Always smiling and saying hello.

If this hotel is listed as a "Plus", we really want to see what a "Premier" has to offer. This was the BEST hotel stay we ever had.

Room Tip: Room 330 is near a pond with rather noisy frogs :)
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
#7 of 10 in Grand Marais
Gunflint Lodge & Outfitters
Gunflint Lodge & Outfitters
#5 of 32 in Grand Marais

Been to Best Western Plus Superior Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!