“A little slice of heaven here on earth”
Review of Moose Head Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moose
Moose Head Ranch
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Our family wanted to experience the American "West" and so we booked a few days at Yellowstone to see some of the classic sights and some time at a guest ranch for the horses and wide open spaces. We were so lucky to have selected Moose Head Ranch. Of all we looked at, Moose Head had the strongest family focus.

It was perfect! Located within the Grand Teton National Park, the view was spectacular from almost any part of the property. The accommodations, while more than comfortable echoed the age of the frontier with log construction and a front porch to enjoy the sunset from. The amply portioned gourmet cuisine was hearty and delicious. For example my wife's favorite meal of shrimp, filet mignon with all the trimmings, and key lime pie with a great cup of coffee was her dinner on our third night.

The riding was terrific! In our five day stay we could ride all day and never take the same trail twice. There was a wide variety of mounts and saddles to suit every rider. The well trained wranglers know just the trick to make your ride both comfortable and challenging according to your ability. They really enjoyed the work and were extremely knowledgeable about the trails, wildlife, and history of the area. We saw elk, antelope, bison, eagles and other wildlife. Trail conversations ranged to football, college curricula and favorite movies such that you felt you had a new friend at the end of the ride.

If gorgeous scenery and premier riding is not enough for you then Moose Head has much more to offer you. At the weekly campfire dinner there was a musician leading the sing along. Lessons in fly fishing from an expert with religious devotion are available just outside your door so that you will be prepared to take on some of the best fishing in the world along the legendary Snake river. Visits from an artist demonstrating water color techniques and a jewelry artisan were also arranged during the week. The Moose Head staff love Wyoming and can connect you, with expert knowledge, to any attraction in the area.

The atmosphere was infectious. If you wanted your privacy it was there, but who could resist the good humor and camaraderie of such a wonderful place catalyzed by outstanding hosts and staff. In fact, the Moose Head staff puts you at ease from the moment you arrive. The personal attention and friendliness calls to your memories of pre-social media real human connections and makes your "summer camp" friendships with the staff and other guests possible.

My son and I played lawn games with the other guests until we could not see the ball anymore and it was time for the children to go to bed and the adults to enjoy more stars in the night sky than they had ever seen. Our boy did not watch television or touch his electronics and said he had a better time than our trip to Disney World playing with real people and real things.

Our heartfelt thanks go to Kit and Louise, our gracious hosts, and all their wonderful, dedicated and professional staff for dreaming of a place like Moose Head and doing all the long days and hard work to make that happen. Please keep the dream alive as we plan for our next visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Moose Head Ranch

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Our extended families and all their kids and in-laws escaped to this highly recommended ranch for our biennial family retreat. We learned of the venue through a business network and after a bit of email vetting as well as several great phone conversations with Louise we realized that this was the type of retreat location we were looking to experience.
The food and service is as good as we have experienced anywhere. The activities which all happen against the backdrop of the mighty Teton range are low key and took us all back in time to an "unwired" world.
Louise and her husband Kit have been operating this place since the early 70's. What they offer the experience we enjoyed can best be described as a labor of love. Their vision for the experience is further projected through the staff they personally recruit from Universities across the USA. These young men and women deliver the goods in terms of friendly capable service delivered with a warmth and an energy that conveys hope for the next generation that will soon enter the business world.
Moose Head Ranch should be on YOUR bucket-list!

Room Tip: They are all individual cabins and each is unique - Visit with Louise and she will guide you to the...
Reviewed 7 August 2013

It is disappointing to write a less than stellar review of this property after so many pleasant previous experiences. However, after giving rave reviews of Moose Ranch Ranch in the past, I must say that I have wrestled all summer with what to say now. Put simply, I am afraid the best is behind us for Moose Head Ranch. In all fairness, however, I must share the bad with the good that I have shared previously.
I had memorable experiences in the past with family and friends and made many great memories. My most recent trips to Moose Head, however, left me feeling like it is now more about the money for the owners than it is about making it a pleasant stay for the guests. The food is still great and the riding is still great, but there is something missing that was there is the past. It no longer feels like a family of families, so to speak. It is more about getting people in, putting them through the paces, and getting them out. I heard rumblings from the cabin girls and the wranglers that the places "just is not the same." The feeling of real commitment to service is simply absent and I NEVER heard wranglers or cabin girls speaking of their disappointment in my previous visits. We all know, however, that they make or break the stay and they clearly feel that the magic has somehow been lost from what they have experienced or heard from others.
I am sure that if you go for the first time, you will enjoy yourself quite a lot. It is only when you compare Moose Head to what you heard from others from yesteryear or what you experience yourself from years past that you will be disappointed. The magic of Moose Head is no longer alive, to put it simply. It is now just a business and being a "guest" means that you are really just a "guest" as you would be at an average hotel. The feeling of being welcomed by friends that are like family is gone and while they go through the motions, making people feel special just cannot be faked well.
Not much else to add. I am not at all saying it is terrible or to stay away. That would be unfair and not of service to you. I am only saying that if you go, lower your expectations.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank walter a
moosehead1, Owner at Moose Head Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Moose Head strives for excellence and regrets that the reviewer felt their experince has "slipped" to average. Our stringent selection process for our staff and our commitment to excellence will continue to assure a great experience for our customers. While we may not agree with the reviewer's comments, the feedback is taken very seriously and we have already shared it with our staff and are reviewing our operation for improvements.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Twenty years ago I had the privilege of serving on the crew at Moose Head Ranch as the laundry girl. I spent five hours a day in the laundry room and three hours in the evening in the kitchen. Six days a week for three months. And it was the BEST three months of my life! I knew as I pulled out of the gates on my last day at the ranch that I would return with my family one day.

Luckily, my husband was thrilled to spend our first and second anniversaries at the ranch. And then when our daughter was old enough to ride horses, we took her to Moose Head with us. Our family has just returned from our fourth trip to the ranch and we are already on the calendar for next year. It is never a question of, "Are we going back next year?" It is more like, "How can we plan our summer around a week at Moose Head?" And our now 11 year old is the ring leader in planning our next trip. She will tell you her week at Moose Head every summer is the best week of her life. High praise from a tween!

So what makes Moose Head so wonderful? Where do I begin? Louise, Kit, Eddie and the Crew for starters. The great horses who easily handle city folk who want to be cowboys and cowgirls a few days a year. The delicious food that pleases even the most picky of eaters. Beautiful cabins that you make your own during your stay. Fellow guests that become like family within a short amount of time. And a stunning view at each and every turn.

Still to this day I get a bit melancholy when we pull out of the gates to head to the airport and our return flight home. But just as it was that August day 20 years ago, I know we will be back.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Stayed at Moose Head for 5 nights with my husband, 10 and 12 year old girls. Can't say enough wonderful things about it. This review could be 5 paragraphs, but I'll do my best to summarize....

It's small - only 40 guests and a time - and focused on the family without being overbearing.

The food was fantastic - not a chaffing dish in site - everything was made to order and cooked to perfection - we are total foodies and this exceeded our expectations.

Our cabin was clean, cozy and stocked with everything we needed.

The personal attention given to us by the wranglers, cabin girls and the owners was first class, better than many 4 star resorts we've stayed at.

The setting was gorgeous and the spirit of the place is something that our family will carry with us for years to come.

It's pricey, but worth every cent as there is not a corner cut to make sure that everyone is enjoying themselves...if you can get a reservation during their very short season go go go!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Cut Throat 2 bedroom cabin. It was fantastic - definitely request it!
1  Thank PhillyAmy70
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This year was our 5th visit to Moose Head Ranch since 1996, and each year has been uniquely special. Great riding experience, even for novices and baby boomers... horses owned and cared for at the ranch are carefully matched to each rider. Rides are just you and the wrangler. The meals are gourmet, the views of the Tetons are just for you and the hospitality is unmatched anywhere, any price. The wranglers and cabin girls are college kids with superb manners and wit. Louise and Kit Davenport make this the best of the West, hands down. 30 minutes drive from Jackson, 45 minutes from Yellowstone gives lots of time to see bison, moose, elk, and pronghorns waiting to be seen & photographed.

Room Tip: Every cabin is unique, beautifully appointed with Grand Teton views, and selected to match the famil...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Our recent family trip to Moose Head Ranch was outstanding. The owners and staff all treat you as if you are a member of their family and work hard to make your trip the best it can be. That family atmosphere is set in an amazing natural setting. The views of the Tetons from the property and lodge are unbelievable. The chance to explore the surrounding trails with your family's own person guide, not once, but twice a day was so enjoyable. The experience is so tailored to the individual that you are assigned the same horse for your entire stay. Can't say enough about how every member of my family enjoyed it. The Moose Head Ranch is a true treasure.

1  Thank Alec C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moose
Headwaters Lodge & Cabins at Flagg Ranch
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Jackson Hole
Hotel Terra Jackson Hole, A Noble House Resort
Wyoming Inn of Jackson Hole
Teton Mountain Lodge & Spa - A Noble House Resort
Jackson Lake Lodge
Jackson Lake Lodge
#4 of 14 in Grand Teton National Park

Been to Moose Head Ranch? Share your experiences!