“Best Dude Ranch !”
Review of Triangle X Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moose
Triangle X Ranch
Waterbury Center, Vermont
“Best Dude Ranch !”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

The Triangle X Ranch is the best one, but it's not for everybody....So, let's cut to the details, and let me tell you why..
First off, if you're looking for a resort type place with some horseback riding, this is not your place. It doesn't have a pool, sauna, bar (you bring your own wine and spirits for parties and dinner), big screen tv's in the rooms, video games for the kids, tennis courts, or the like, and although the food is excellent you won't be ordering off of a menu.

Here is what it does have, and it may not be for you. It has that historic ranch atmosphere, fantastic stunning Teton views right from your cabin porch as well as the rides, neat clean log cabins your family will love, really good food served ranch family style with all your new friends, wonderful host owners from the original Turner family that stay right there on the ranch, the best children's program you could find, and without a doubt the best varied riding, with the best experienced wranglers, of any ranch around.

Ask yourself why so many Triangle X patrons return year after year, some for 35, 17, 10, 5, years in a row? Families, singles and couples alike return year after year, and now so will we. You will feel welcome at the Triangle X before you even get to your cabin. The children and teen programs are wonderful. Instead of sitting endlessly in your room with some video game or tv, your family will be with their group having a blast all day long. The kids and teens eat together in their respective groups, ride together, and go on side trips together.

The riding is set up for everyone from beginner to those that ride all the time. After you get on your horse, the same one every day if you like him, you will hear the rides announced. You just join the group you feel comfortable with, walking ride, learning or training ride designed for teaching at the pace of the slowest person, medium speed ride, fast ride for experienced riders, kids ride, and of course the teen group ride. They will teach you everything you want to know about riding and horses...

Kids as young as 5 years old to those in there 70's and 80's, families, couples, singles, and grandparents were enjoying the Triangle X when we were there. We are grandparents with and 8 year old, and we couldn't have felt more welcome. We made many new friends, and you will too.

You won't find a better riding ranch or family ranch atmosphere anywhere else, but be prepared for your kids to beg you to come back next year and the year after.....

Room Tip: For a good room just call Karen or anyone at the ranch number, and discuss your families needs. P
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank RangerBob204

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My 16 year old nephew and I spent a week at the Ranch. My first time, his third. Great location with breathtaking views of the Tetons. Cabins are comfortable, food is quite good. It's mostly all about horseback riding with well trained horses and friendly, highly experienced wranglers.

There are several well run cook outs, and three of the evenings had square dancing, a ranch historical presentation and a park ranger talk. Float trips on the Snake River and fly fishing outings can be arranged. The most striking thing is the high number of repeat visitors who come at the same time each year.

As someone with very little riding experience I was quickly brought up to being able to trot and lope and plan to keep riding to get ready for next year at this lovely ranch and area.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank alewis1729
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 10 July 2012

As a non-horse rider I was uncertain about the riding aspect of our 7 night Triangle X vacation. All I can say after being there a week is that I would consider myself a horse rider now! The entire experience from the moment we entered the ranch surpassed our expectations. I traveled with my husband, two daughters (age 9 and 11) and my in-laws (who have been coming for years). The ranch operates like a well-oiled machine from the meal service to the kid and adult rides to the cookout meals that you ride your horse to. Everyone is very friendly and genuinely seems to enjoy their jobs and seems to want to help you have the best vacation ever.

The horses are gentle, healthy, reliable and responsive. The knowledgeable and kind wranglers ensure that you feel secure while riding, but at the same time deliver a beautiful, interesting and varied ride every time. After the first ride I knew that I would not missing any opportunities to ride! I came in a non-rider and after the second day was trotting and loping comfortably. They offer lesson rides as well as slow, medium, and fast rides to cater to all levels of experience. Although the lesson ride is designed to be instructional it was exciting and the beautiful scenery could not be beat. Magen was an outstanding lesson wrangler and she was very adept at reading the group and understanding what we were capable of doing, she also seemed to know the area inside and out. Every ride was different and never boring; while we were riding we saw some amazing wild life up close. The rides through and across the river were some of the best!

My daughters had the time of their lives and did not want to leave. They played outside with all of the other kids whenever they were not riding. As a very protective mom I was unsure before our arrival about allowing my kids to ride without me. This was an unnecessary concern as from the first ride I knew my kids were in great hands. They both learned to walk, trot, and lope safely and comfortably and were very sad to say goodbye to their horses and wranglers at the end of the week. During the week they not only rode, but pressed flowers, did plaster casts of animal tracks and took a field trip to swim and get ice cream. This is an ideal family vacation as you are spending time together, but the kids have their own riding program and meal time. I thought this would be strange, but it was actually perfect as the kids eat a few minutes before the parents and then play outside or in the living room of the main house while the parents enjoy dinner with the other adults. You can see your kids at all times from the large dining room windows while they play outside. During the week there are family rides and meals together, too. There are no other distractions (TV, etc.) so the time spent together is priceless.

If you have never been to this area you will want to allow time surrounding your week at the ranch to explore all that there is to do without missing anything at the ranch. (White water rafting down the Snake River, the town of Jackson, and Yellowstone, are just a few of the many things to explore!)

Every single person we encountered while at the ranch was warm, friendly, and efficient. The cabins were clean and comfortable, the food was hearty, well prepared and served hot, and the square dancing and cookouts were great fun. Thank you everyone at Triangle X for making this one of our best family trips ever.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank peanutpuppy
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I have been going to Triangle X for 19 years for a one week stay each year. The ranch is well located for a Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Jackson Hole experience and the Turner family are welcoming and honestly interested in this being "the best week of your year." The quarters are cabins with adequate sleeping and bathing arrangements and porches designed to catch "Chamber of Commerce" views of Grand Teton and Mount Moran. The riding experience is beyond compare and graduated by skill and for children and teens age. Each year I take the all day ride and this year there were two! The head wrangler TJ Van Ooyen and his loyal staff take care to make each guest as safe as possible and to ensure quality rides. Bill Baehr is the best all day ride guide one could ask for and his knowledge of wildlife, flowers, history of the area all add to the experience. The meals are hearty and well prepared whether at the family style ranch house breakfasts, dinners and lunches or the evening cookout by the Snake River or the breakfast cookout at Spencer's mountain. Triangle x is the only "dude" ranch in a National Park and a unique not to be missed experience.

Room Tip: Cabins are chosen by group size and I like those with a frontal view of Grand Teton.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank James C
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 24 June 2012

My new wife, her family, and I, all spent eight days and seven nights at Triangle X Ranch in early June 2012 and absolutely loved our stay. The ranch and the surrounding area is so beautiful. The view of the Grand Tetons in the distance takes your breath away each time you look towards them. Sunsets especially.

During our stay we took full advantage of the horseback riding, float trips, and near by hiking grounds. All of which were a delight. The various levels of horseback riding made us newbies feel very comfortable. The trails taken on all the horse rides were beautiful. The float trip was so much fun. Having the ability to relax and look at your surrounding while floating down the Snake river was sure nice. Finally, only a couple miles drive from the ranch was Jenny Lake. Simply beautiful hiking ground with Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point to conclude the day.

All this active sure made us hungry and the ranch was very accommodating with all meals. The food was marvelous and having family style service at the tables allowed you to share your days adventures with other guests of the ranch. Having breakfast, lunch, and dinner served to you such made it easy to relax and enjoy every moment of the trip.

We all would highly recommend spending some time at Triangle X Ranch. Whether its the mountain views, the food, the horse back riding, or the wonderful service you will sure want to go back soon.

THANKS TRIANGLE X RANCH for a wonderful honeymoon and adventure.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
NC
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We visited Triangle X Dude Ranch four days, 3-7 Jun 2012. Typically, stays are seven days, but during this pre-season week you can arrange a shorter stay. It was our first dude ranch. We both ride, and found the horses very well cared for, very nice to ride, very responsive on the our various trail rides. Food was really good, accommodations (log cabins) have the best view on the planet! Many of our fellow 'dudes' were returners, having come annually to Triangle X for many years. Great folks, great staff. The wranglers were personable and very helpful. We plan to return - next time, for a week, with a rental car so that we can visit/hike in nearby Teton Nat'l Park also. Found the western saddles quite uncomfortable, so we'll bring 'seat savers' next time to cushion those hard seats. Our only, very minor, complaint was that the bed mattress was saggy. Everything else was superb!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cricket237
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 6 June 2012

When driving out of the Jackson Hole airport, it's hard not to notice the old wooden sign saying "Howdy Stranger. This is Jackson Hole, the last of the old West." It sounds corny until you drive twenty minutes into town on a two-lane highway that is surrounded by enormous stretches of sagebrush, broken only by a bison herd or the Snake River. In town, there are wooden walkways, cowboy hats and, of course, cowboy boots. Spend just a few days in town, drive up to Dornan's Restaurant and park next to the hitching post, or tour Grand Teton or Yellowstone National Park and you start to realize how true that sign by the small, wooden airport is. Despite how laid-back and rustic the town of Jackson is, many ranches in the area have become more resort-oriented. There are very few ranches left that still embody the true spirit of the old west, and the absolute best is Triangle X Ranch.

My family has been going to Triangle X every summer since 2000. Let me say that again and rephrase it, since it's easy to forget that 2000 wasn't just a few years ago: I am sixteen years old, and I have been spending a week each summer at this ranch for the past twelve years. The reason why we keep returning is quite simple: for my family, Triangle X is our favorite place on Earth. That really is saying something, coming from a family that travels a lot, all over the world--even to multiple other ranches. The ranch is the one vacation that we spend all year waiting for and would never give up.

During the week, meals are served in the Main House, which also has the Bear Room, a favorite place of people to play cards or simply hang out. There are two horseback rides every day that last about two and half hours and go all over the surrounding area, but you don't have to ride everyday--if you want, you can tell your wrangler you're not riding and go hiking, take a bike ride, do a float trip down the Snake River, or sit on your front porch and take in the unbelievable views. The ranch also has a lot of fun activities during the week, such as a square dance, breakfast and dinner rides, a camp-out for the teenagers and painting the horses for the kids. Saturdays are always extremely fun, with special events that change every few years. Last year (which was my favorite year yet), they decided to go back to the roots of ranching, with the wranglers teaching people how to rope, and wood coasters that you could brand with the X2 logo.

An integral factor to the ranch's success is the Turner family, who founded Triangle X. Although the ranch has not been privately owned since the late 1920s, the Turners still hold the lease for the property and maintain a huge presence in managing the ranch and making sure their guests are happy. The ranch is managed in a way that makes it feel like home, and everybody there is family by the end of the week. Throughout your stay, you can always find the older Turners telling the guests amazing stories about events that have happened on the ranch, or what the valley was like years ago. Some of the younger Turners also live and work on the ranch, making it a true family business that has spanned multiple generations.

We go the same week every summer (the last week in June--a great time to go because it's not too hot or dry and the wildflowers are coming out!), and we're not the only ones who return each year. I mentioned earlier that my family has been going to the ranch for twelve years, but that pales in comparison to the families that have been going for decades. Because you spend almost all of your time with the same people for an entire week, strong friendships are often formed, so when people return the next year, it's like a reunion. The guests aren't the only ones who return either--a lot of the employees have been working there for years, or are people who came to the ranch when they were kids and decided to work there when they got older. My own sisters worked at the ranch over the summer for two years while they were in college. Triangle X Ranch is a place that everybody wants to return to, because it's that spectacular. It was the subject of one of my sister's college essays, and a paper I had to write on an event that changed my life. Although I feel like I've written a novel already, how amazing the ranch is can't be described. It can only be experienced.

As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. What is a video worth then? Here's a link to a video I made for the ranch, with pictures and clips from this past summer and in the fall when my parents go alone: http://bit.ly/N5cHEU
(If TripAdvisor removes the link, go to YouTube and type in "triangle x ranch version 2")

Also feel free to look at my 2011 ranch album on facebook: http://on.fb.me/MhIe7j

If you have any questions about the ranch or want to see more pictures, feel free to contact me!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Lexa O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moose
Headwaters Lodge & Cabins at Flagg Ranch
#5 of 14 in Grand Teton National Park
Jenny Lake Lodge
Jenny Lake Lodge
#4 of 14 in Grand Teton National Park

Been to Triangle X Ranch? Share your experiences!