“Easily missed, but don't.”

Broken Arrow Steak House & Casino
Ranked #4 of 17 Restaurants in Deer Lodge
Cuisines: American
Seattle
“Easily missed, but don't.”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

It's hard to find this place. Deer Lodge doesn't have much in the way of restaurants, it appears. What turned me off at first was that it's dubbed a casino. Montana seems to have gone bananas over casinos, and every little burg has it's share of Mom and Pop Casinos.
The Broken Arrow is poorly signed-we drove past it twice. When we finally found it, we walked into an older, well kept restaurant. One table had a party of 6, it seems, and one of the people was the owner. She greeted us warmly and seated us, and soon our server appeared. It was an odd juxtaposition of cultures-Deer Lodge is struggling to survive in what used to be ranch country, Montana, and our server sported half a dozen facial piercings. No matter, she took our orders promptly and our food was soon on the table.
I had the Alaskan cod. It was real fish, not a thrice stepped roll of overly breaded whatisthis. It was real fish, properly cooked. My husband had the prime rib sandwich, which he pronounced very good. Both our salads were industrial style, with cold tomatoes and dressing out of the ubiquitous little plastic tub. That was disappointing, but the beer battered fries were real, homemade, hot and crispy.

Prices were VERY reasonable. The bathroom was spotlessly clean.
The walls of the restaurant are covered with art by a man named Gary Carter. He must be a Montanan, because I saw the same works in a truck stop further west. The paintings were all of a theme, old time Western stuff, like Indians, cowboys, and mountain men surprising a grizzly and about to suffer the consequences. All seem to draw heavily on the works of Charlie Russell, and not doing as good a job.

Oh, the casino? Welllllll, there were two young ladies staffing it, obviously bored out of their minds, as there wasn't a soul in the casino. I couldn't believe the amount of liquor on the wall behind them, but then, I'm not a drinker. Maybe it's normal.

It's a good stop from Yellowstone. I'd go back.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank SeattleMeadowlark

Pullman, Washington
“Excellent”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

The broken Arrow is well known in the area for it's excellent food and great customer service. It definitely lived up to what I expected, based on the service from over 20 years ago. Definitely a restaurant to visit, staff and food were excellent!!!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Kris B
Seattle
“Like Time Travel...back to the 50s”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Friendly waitress. Decor straight out of the 50s. Unfortunately, the quality of the food was, as well. The fried chicken wasn't fully cooked. The vegetables were overcooked.

The very mediocre food was not expensive.

Visited October 2013
Great Falls, Montana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Restaurant”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Found this restaurant last Sunday evening when almost everything else was closed. It was really good food, fast service, a nice place. Would eat there again.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank pattycmt
Renton, WA
“Busy, local place”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This restaurant was recommended by Teresa at the Western Big Sky. I enjoyed the special, a tenderloin with mushrooms that included a seafood cocktail and choice of sides. The seafood cocktail was a delightful surprise, crisp lettuce and celery and a mix of seafood. One of the best I've ever had. It was nice to have a choice of sides, I choose broccoli and avoided the usual potato.
Breadsticks and butter were on the table. My husband had the 1/2
lb burger and pronounced it good, the fries were excellent.

Visited September 2013